DVDVR Message Board

Ric Flair’s Last Match Post Show Discussion

My first exposure to Husker Du was on the Rhino comp 'Harder & Faster-Hardcore Punk Vol. 1'. It's a great comp and the Du entry is the excellent 'Statues'! I followed it up a couple years later with Zen Arcade which I'd read about for what seemed like many years (probably a year). I liked Zen, but I never held it in the same regard as the truly big fans (tho I go back to it often enough for better understanding). I've always liked them tho, and discovered only a year or so ago thru a spotify playlist (and after watching his doc) that I'm a much bigger Grant Hart fan than Mould. Which would make sense why I have so little time for the Sugar and the Bob solo catalog. I really really despise it (I was forced to listen to newer Bob and Sugar at a job over and over and over again). But I say that with respect. Bob's a fascinating guy, and I know how his music has touched a lot of ppl. Just much much less so me, other than the Du. I also have a hard time with the Mats. I've only ever gotten into Let it Be, which I love (tho a pal played me some Tim tracks that I loved a few months ago, so maybe there's hope). Trying to redeem myself here - I'm totally down with the incredible Minutemen and have multiple lps and a 10 inch. Never saw them, but watching Watt play the bass with all the joy in the world alongside the Stooges was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Are there any books that feature Bob Mould discussing in length his WCW days? Or podcast interviews?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

My first exposure to Husker Du was on the Rhino comp 'Harder & Faster-Hardcore Punk Vol. 1'. It's a great comp and the Du entry is the excellent 'Statues'! I followed it up a couple years later with Zen Arcade which I'd read about for what seemed like many years (probably a year). I liked Zen, but I never held it in the same regard as the truly big fans (tho I go back to it often enough for better understanding). I've always liked them tho, and discovered only a year or so ago thru a spotify playlist (and after watching his doc) that I'm a much bigger Grant Hart fan than Mould. Which would make sense why I have so little time for the Sugar and the Bob solo catalog. I really really despise it (I was forced to listen to newer Bob and Sugar at a job over and over and over again). But I say that with respect. Bob's a fascinating guy, and I know how his music has touched a lot of ppl. Just much much less so me, other than the Du. I also have a hard time with the Mats. I've only ever gotten into Let it Be, which I love (tho a pal played me some Tim tracks that I loved a few months ago, so maybe there's hope). Trying to redeem myself here - I'm totally down with the incredible Minutemen and have multiple lps and a 10 inch. Never saw them, but watching Watt play the bass with all the joy in the world alongside the Stooges was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Are there any books that feature Bob Mould discussing in length his WCW days? Or podcast interviews?

He has a chapter in his Autobio about his WCW run that goes into some detail but that's it to my knowledge

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Log said:

Cut to Conrad and Flair figuring out just how many "last matches" they can get away with.

"That was his last match in Nashville, buddy. This is the Ric Flair Drip Retirement Road Series (sponsored by Blue Chew, Manscaped, Steve Singer Jewelers, and of course Save with Conrad). Watch for ticket info at your local box office in the following cities: Spartanburg, SC, Greenville, SC, Raleigh, NC, Norfolk, VA, Richmond, VA..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

How do these numbers compare to a regular Impact PPV? Seeing as they kinda ran the PPV(no?), maybe they'll realize there's a larger fanbase for no-nonsense wrestling than their never-ending-horseshit-magic-camera-drama. Probably not tho.

EDIT: "In a post on Twitter, Stevie Ray hinted that he might have his own last match at some point, which Conrad Thompson showed interest in.

Ray wrote: “I think I have one last match in me.

Who's the 'fruit booty' who's gonna take Stevie Ray's ummm hmmm... slapjack? I wanted to say some move, but I can't recall any of his 'moves'.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

32 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

How do these numbers compare to a regular Impact PPV? Seeing as they kinda ran the PPV(no?), maybe they'll realize there's a larger fanbase for no-nonsense wrestling than their never-ending-horseshit-magic-camera-drama. Probably not tho.

EDIT: "In a post on Twitter, Stevie Ray hinted that he might have his own last match at some point, which Conrad Thompson showed interest in.

Ray wrote: “I think I have one last match in me.

Who's the 'fruit booty' who's gonna take Stevie Ray's ummm hmmm... slapjack? I wanted to say some move, but I can't recall any of his 'moves'.

When people run PPVs that are successful independent of a big brand name, it's either about a special occasion or taking advantage of a larger opportunity. 99 percent are the former. The rare 1 percent is something like All In.

When the Paul brothers started going to various promotional outfits and TV networks offering up their services, I don't think people thought it would work to the level where Jake Paul now can promote his own fights. However, people were also wondering how long this could work. In reality, everything has shelf life. In addition, you're betting all your money on one golden goose. After the success of Tyson/Roy Jones Jr., Triller was hoping to do more Tyson fights. Then Tyson got cold feet for whatever reason and decided against doing more fights with Triller and probably w/ anybody, period. Jake Paul was suppose to fight this weekend at MSG on Showtime PPV. Shit happened and now it' s not happening. That's the pains of trying to put on a successful promotion. If Flair got hurt in training or got ill and couldn't do the show, it's likely this event gets cancelled and probably never ever materializes again. You cannot depend solely on one thing or one individual. The future AEW got the benefit of being built around what turned out to be a movement that was able to be mobilized and galvanized. There was no one person that could shitcan the whole thing in light of their absence. Now, if Cody, the Young Bucks, and Omega decide to not do it to sign with WWE, then it's moot of course. However, they're the ones who had the most to gain so it was likely going to happen either way. That is something that has enough staying power to be more than one and done.

Having boxers or wrestlers or MMA fighters well past their prime do basically a seniors tour? Yeah, that doesn't have staying power. When ancient Evander Holyfield almost got decapitated by Vitor Belfort, I don't think people were that anxious to see more of that. I think what's going to happen though is in the case of this show some people are likely to get more shots to be employed with WWE or AEW. I don't think another promotional company makes sense.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

When people run PPVs that are successful independent of a big brand name, it's either about a special occasion or taking advantage of a larger opportunity. 99 percent are the former. The rare 1 percent is something like All In.

When the Paul brothers started going to various promotional outfits and TV networks offering up their services, I don't think people thought it would work to the level where Jake Paul now can promote his own fights. However, people were also wondering how long this could work. In reality, everything has shelf life. In addition, you're betting all your money on one golden goose. After the success of Tyson/Roy Jones Jr., Triller was hoping to do more Tyson fights. Then Tyson got cold feet for whatever reason and decided against doing more fights with Triller and probably w/ anybody, period. Jake Paul was suppose to fight this weekend at MSG on Showtime PPV. Shit happened and now it' s not happening. That's the pains of trying to put on a successful promotion. If Flair got hurt in training or got ill and couldn't do the show, it's likely this event gets cancelled and probably never ever materializes again. You cannot depend solely on one thing or one individual. The future AEW got the benefit of being built around what turned out to be a movement that was able to be mobilized and galvanized. There was no one person that could shitcan the whole thing in light of their absence. Now, if Cody, the Young Bucks, and Omega decide to not do it to sign with WWE, then it's moot of course. However, they're the ones who had the most to gain so it was likely going to happen either way. That is something that has enough staying power to be more than one and done.

Having boxers or wrestlers or MMA fighters well past their prime do basically a seniors tour? Yeah, that doesn't have staying power. When ancient Evander Holyfield almost got decapitated by Vitor Belfort, I don't think people were that anxious to see more of that. I think what's going to happen though is in the case of this show some people are likely to get more shots to be employed with WWE or AEW. I don't think another promotional company makes sense.

Fair points, but not exactly sure why you've quoted me here? I had a specific question in relation to this PPV compared to Impact's regular numbers. Further, maybe the success doesn't suggest they oughtta stop promoting their regular dramatic-style-bullshit-TV-build-and-horrible-gimmick-matches, but perhaps it could nudge them in such a direction - especially considering all the praise for the actual show being on the no-nonsense-straight-up-matches and execution of the undercard.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

11 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Fair points, but not exactly sure why you've quoted me here? I had a specific question in relation to this PPV compared to Impact's regular numbers. Further, maybe the success doesn't suggest they oughtta stop promoting their regular dramatic-style-bullshit-TV-build-and-horrible-gimmick-matches, but perhaps it could nudge them in such a direction - especially considering all the praise for the actual show being on the no-nonsense-straight-up-matches and execution of the undercard.

I'm pretty sure it beats out anything Impact is doing on PPV by a good margin. They're barely hovering around 1,000-5,000 buys and probably a little more when you add in streaming. They had a spike during the brief AEW relationship but how big could it be?

I don't think it changes anyone's minds though. Even though they sent talent to this very show, we know people in the wrestling business attribute everything that isn't the norm as a fluke. That said, in this case, you probably can say that promotion wise it's extremely lucky to have this much participation from other people. 

I’m a little late re-replying but points taken. I don’t doubt that it was really freaking bad, but real talk that hasn’t been a standard for an of us concerning our favorite wrestlers for years lol! 

As for the Grahams hey they can’t say NEVER DREW A DIME about Ric Flair lol!

It’s sad that Flair is drinking hard liquor. I hate drinking more than smoking or drugs. But Flair is old man number 87,644 in my life that’s going to do it til he dies so it’s either live with it or not have him as person I like otherwise. Worded funny for the obvious reason...when talking about real live friends I have the line is something like live with it or lose a friend. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:58 PM, Blue Dragon said:

Rika Tatsumi wanted to face Ric Flair. Maybe they can do figure 4s's on each other. And she can become his 78th wife.

Do we really want Ric anywhere near the same ring as a woman who's offense is about 45% "jumping at you ass-first"?

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2022 at 3:10 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Luckily the Slapjack was also the name of his finisher. It was the Pedigree, in yet another of iteration of WCW's "take a WWF main eventer's finisher and give it to a lower midcarder".

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Flair said he passed out twice during the match. What the absolute fuck.

He was only trying to live up to the name of the event and die in the ring. First time he passed out he was like "OK, this is it..." then, "wait, nope... alright, here we go, the final curtain!" Then he wakes up once more and has to finish the match. "Well, shit! I guess it's just not happening tonight!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:
6 hours ago, Ace said:

Flair said he passed out twice during the match. What the absolute fuck.

He was only trying to live up to the name of the event and die in the ring. First time he passed out he was like "OK, this is it..." then, "wait, nope... alright, here we go, the final curtain!" Then he wakes up once more and has to finish the match. "Well, shit! I guess it's just not happening tonight!"

that's weird, Flair isn't really known for his no-selling. ?

but seriously, can you imagine if he would have had a "serious" medical condition come up (yeah, i know, passing out randomly would be pretty serious if it happened to me too)

3 hours ago, The Natural said:
The final final final match. Fucking embarrassing.

Ric Flair, my dude, you passed out twice during the match. You're in your mid 70s. You looked like fucking death out there. Give it up, brother.

• Like 4