DVDVR Message Board

Ric Flair’s Last Match Post Show Discussion

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

NOMEANSNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite band in high school.

I counter with the legendary Dayglo Abortions, and SNFU. (Somebody will get older school than me and bring up DOA but I never cared for 'em.) There are a load of really great crust bands up there too but that's leaning more towards the following side of the equation

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Edit: Great shout @Curt McGirt with Voivod - Annihilator is another one from up there that's killer

Canada has a long history of great metal bands: Exciter, Razor, Blasphemy, Anvil, Slaughter, Cryptopsy, etc.

It baffles me that nobody's mentioned Rush yet... or Triumph haha. Fight the Good Fight!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

You left out some good ones such as Tragically Hip!! RIP Gord,  Matt Good, and the Headstones

Early Sloan was great!! Met Chris Murphy a few times. Nice guy. 

There's lots more 'great' bands, and plenty of 'good' bands. Matt's not one I would categorize there, but he certainly has his fans. I much prefer Hugh Dillon's acting (Hard Core Logo, Twin Peaks-the Return) to the Headstones. I have a soft spot for the Hip, but there's probably a pretty good reason they aren't beloved outside of these borders. Sloan's Peppermint EP all the way to Navy Blues is a great run. Certainly there's some songs after that, and nice live performances, but good albums is an argument better served over a coffee or brew. 

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

Canada had Pointed Sticks, kind of their version of the Buzzcocks. In the 90s, you had awesome garage/punk/indie bands like Smugglers, cub, Bum, Chixdiggit, and then there’s the living legend Nardwuar.

There seems to always be good Punk bands, but that seems true most everywhere. I'm not referring to the Mall-Skate variety. I much prefer the more creative takes on the term punk of the last 10 years or so as evidenced by bands like the Soupcans, the Famines, SHIT, Grand Trine, Dirty Beaches, Makeout Videotape, Thighs, HSY, Apollo Ghosts, Protruders, Astral Gunk etc, etc. That said, I can totally get down with Narduwar and that first Chixdiggit album. I don't know enough about the Pointed Sticks. You ever get down with the garage stylings of the Bent Wind? 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I counter with the legendary Dayglo Abortions, and SNFU. (Somebody will get older school than me and bring up DOA but I never cared for 'em.) There are a load of really great crust bands up there too but that's leaning more towards the following side of the equation

Canada has a long history of great metal bands: Exciter, Razor, Blasphemy, Anvil, Slaughter, Cryptopsy, etc.

It baffles me that nobody's mentioned Rush yet... or Triumph haha. Fight the Good Fight!

No love for Strapping Young Lad?

• Like 3

On 8/2/2022 at 2:29 PM, Hamhock said:

Now I'm just feeling nostalgic for a different era of music.

AAAH Sanctioned Non-Rassling Content (SNRC) alert!

That Charlatans song may be one of my favorite songs by a Brit not sung by Mark E Smith, Billy Childish, Cornwell/Burnell or a Buzzcock.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

My biggest regret (behind never seeing Motorhead or Dio) is missing Impetigo's reunion/last ever show at the Central Illinois Metalfest when I EVEN HAD MY FRIEND'S WRISTBAND TAPED ON MY WRIST AND WOULD GET IN FREE. And Mortician was there, too.

Facebook is terrible for this because there'll be a memory of you pimping shows that you inevitably didn't go to and you'll just slap your forehead. 

Oh! My band also ended up cancelling a show we booked in town for MDC. The venue (a barn technically outside of town, actually) closed and we were fucked. Their tour poster had a big blank spot at the bottom for writing dates and venue names and there I wrote "Not All Good Things Come To Pass". 

Motorhead was so loud it took all of Dio's set for my ears to recover

it was wonderful

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I saw Motorhead on my first wedding anniversary.  My wife decided she didn't want to go so I went with my friend Cliff.  Someone threw a bottle at Lemmy so they didn't play as long as they could have, but I heard three of the five songs I wanted to hear.  They were Bomber, Overkill, and Ace of Spades.  I could have sworn the played Iron Fist but OF COURSE the set list is on the internet.  It was May 8th, 1994.  (The fifth song that they didn't play was Motorhead.)

• Like 6

I didn’t see it but I fell like I have through all of the FB posts that go from his biggest marks to Billy Graham. If Flair wants to get in the dang ring then I’m all for it. I hope he enjoyed it and I hope he made money.

I’ve seen Vader wrestle against doctors orders just before he died, Giant Baba like mentioned, Fritz, Stu, Bullet Bob and many more. This really isn’t anything new IMO. 

17 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I didn’t see it but I fell like I have through all of the FB posts that go from his biggest marks to Billy Graham. If Flair wants to get in the dang ring then I’m all for it. I hope he enjoyed it and I hope he made money.

I’ve seen Vader wrestle against doctors orders just before he died, Giant Baba like mentioned, Fritz, Stu, Bullet Bob and many more. This really isn’t anything new IMO. 

May not be anything new, but man it was bad. Like, worse than Villano III at Triplemania XXIII bad...

37 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I just read Billy's post on Flair that he made tonight. He was way more pissed with Flair admitting he's drinking hard liquor again. Flair must have a liver made out of granite at this point.

I just watched the Flair match. My thoughts were what did all of these people expect? This match is enjoyable. Then Flair couldn't get up for the last five minutes. OK, now I understand what everyone was saying. Hey, I still enjoy Great Kojika matches. He does basic wrestling in slow motion and will cut his head if it is hardcore.

I feel that I must add to this by letting you all know that I went to Lollapalooza to see the Butthole Surfers, Body Count, and Rollins Band.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I bought the show for the undercard, enjoyed the lucha four way, was massively let down by the Takeshita match getting five minutes, what a load of shit.

KEN Mode are the best Canadian band, and their singer is a wrestling fan. Filthy levels of heaviness when they're not taking an album off from pure aggression to sound like Shellac but better, and phenomenal lyrics that are sort of joyously miserable.

Jealous of Dean seeing Hüsker Dü, was too busy being a literal infant to see them at the time, and only realised how incredible they were about two years ago after a friend of a friend ranted at me in a pub til I promised to listen to them.

• Like 3

I was caught completely off guard when a friend handed me a CDR of Zen Arcade one day. Even though I'd read about them in Stephen Blush's American Hardcore book and Chuck Eddy's Stairway to Hell I had no idea what they sounded like. One of those DNA changers of a record. 

You know thinking back, I might've already bought Land Speed Record before that and STILL wasn't prepared. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was caught completely off guard when a friend handed me a CDR of Zen Arcade one day. Even though I'd read about them in Stephen Blush's American Hardcore book and Chuck Eddy's Stairway to Hell I had no idea what they sounded like. One of those DNA changers of a record. 

You know thinking back, I might've already bought Land Speed Record before that and STILL wasn't prepared. 

My first exposure to Husker Du was on the Blasting Concept 2  SST sampler, which is when the label shifted from Black Flag to a bunch of weird or boring bands who were friends with Ginn. I also was very much a 16/17-year old kid whose idea of hardcore was skewed towards NYHC and early 7 Seconds. I was not open to very fast melodic punk, and I kind of wrote them off even as I got into pop punk and melodic hardcore; I also wasn't a huge Sugar fan when they were out although I did see them play and it was one of the 3 loudest shows I've ever seen (Dino. Jr/MBV, Mission of Burma).

Anyway, I now have just about everything, although Flip Your Wig is my favorite. And I've seen Bob Mould play "solo" like half a dozen times now and cry every time he plays "If I Can't Change Your Mind" and lose my shit when he does "Hate Paper Doll". And thanks to this thread, I just learned that he's playing in Austin next month and I bought a ticket!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JLowe said:

My first exposure to Husker Du was on the Blasting Concept 2  SST sampler, which is when the label shifted from Black Flag to a bunch of weird or boring bands who were friends with Ginn.

Not a big Saccharine Trust fan?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I remember being 18 years old and my college room mate had Zen Arcade and I would just listen to it amazed.  I didn't know how to deal with it the first couple of times I heard it.  It was the same way with Junkyard by the Birthday Party. Ah, 18....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Also, Bob Mould worked for WCW when Flair was there so we've come roundabout!

My wife wanted to see Bob Mould live last year so we went and it was one of the best shows I've seen live, also think I was the youngest one there, he asked if anyone was under 35 to raise their hand it was just me in a packed full brewery hall

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

the Blasting Concept 2  SST sampler

See I was lucky, when I was a kid I grabbed Program: Annihilator 2. That had a strange new-to-old run of Flag songs and, more importantly, Saint Vitus on it. Plus Overkill and DC3 weren't too bad for lesser SST bands. 

Paganicons by Saccharine Trust is awesome, btw. 

EDIT: Hold up, Blasting Concept 2 has Minutemen covering "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love"?!?!

EDIT II: Grrrrr of course that's on Double Nickels, but they cut it off the CD version so there's my out. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

See I was lucky, when I was a kid I grabbed Program: Annihilator 2. That had a strange new-to-old run of Flag songs and, more importantly, Saint Vitus on it. Plus Overkill and DC3 weren't too bad for lesser SST bands. 

Paganicons by Saccharine Trust is awesome, btw. 

EDIT: Hold up, Blasting Concept 2 has Minutemen covering "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love"?!?!

You loved Tom Trocolli's Dog.