DVDVR Message Board

Ric Flair’s Last Match Post Show Discussion

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

It usually draws in the neighborhood of 350,000-400,000 people.

I did not add a zero to the end of those figures.

I googled it a bit ago, but, yeah, if you had asked me yesterday, I would have guessed it wound down at least a decade ago.  What can I say?  I am old and very much out of the music bubble.  Aside from Springsteen and Taylor Swift, I only listen to whatever channel I accidentally tune Sirius to and YouTube.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Flair and Metallica are similar in that when you look at footage of them you know where to set your expectations based on their hair length at the time. 

They are also both the idiot savants of their respective professions. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm sure there were plenty of "citizen concerns" that Helms liked to look into that did not involve the environment. At least, the natural one. 

But anyway yeah Stranger Things' new season made "Master of Puppets" blow up again. They're making money hand over fist like always.

If they don't do a video of Dustin and Eddie jamming with them on "Masters," why even bother performing again?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The closest I’ve been is going to Y100 Feztival in Camden in the late 90s and almost getting heat stroke waiting for Beck. 

Same, but substitute 1992, "HFStival," "Upper Marlboro," and "The Soup Dragons."

Holy shit, this is the most stereotypical pre-grunge, alternative lineup ever: The Soup Dragons, The Charlatans UK, The Ocean Blue, They Might Be Giants, Graham Parker, Catherine Wheel, Too Much Joy, The Wolfgang Press, Manifesto

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

If they don't do a video of Dustin and Eddie jamming with them on "Masters," why even bother performing again?

https://www.stereogum.com/2194818/metallica-eddie-munson-actor-finally-meet-play-master-of-puppets-lollapalooza/news/

I feel like I should point out that I'm not a fan of Metallica. Nothing against them, I just never got into them. I just happened to have seen this news in the last few days, that's all.

Edited by Log
clarification

Interesting that, even with a new regime in charge, Charlotte and the couple other active wrestlers in attendance were forbidden from taking part.  The run-in spot with Meghan was apparently intended for Charlotte.  Dolph was in attendance but identified as Nick Nemeth.  A couple people under legends contracts were shown on camera and JJ took part, obviously, but active talent was suppsedly forbidden.  

Hunter was conspicuously absent.  That seemed odd.  Meltzer thinks he stayed away in case something happened to Ric, so the company wouldn’t be associated.  That could explain Charlotte’s non-participation too.

i didn’t wring my hands over it as much as some people, but, yeah, Ric looked bad.  At times, he had a vacant stare and didn’t cooperate with whatever the other guy was doing.  He put Jarrett in the figure four then laid flat on the mat and didn’t move so the ref probably could have counted the pin.  At one point, JJ half-escaped from the figure four and both guys were laying on the mat with one of Jarret’s legs casually draped over Ric.  If they had gone ahead with the superplex spot, Ric might have disintegrated, leaving only a cloud of dust behind.  I’m exaggerating but I feel like he could have broken a few bones taking that bump.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Same, but substitute 1992, "HFStival," "Upper Marlboro," and "The Soup Dragons."

Holy shit, this is the most stereotypical pre-grunge, alternative lineup ever: The Soup Dragons, The Charlatans UK, The Ocean Blue, They Might Be Giants, Graham Parker, Catherine Wheel, Too Much Joy, The Wolfgang Press, Manifesto

HOLY SHIT! I WAS THERE! The Soup Dragons ruled.  So did the Ocean Blue.  They Might Be Giants did Frankenstein by the Edgar Winter Group.

• Like 3

Had to look up who else was on the show with beck. The ones I remembered were Matthew Sweet and Luscious Jackson. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Can't leave out Catherine Wheel, a solid second-tier shoegaze/dream pop outfit with Bruce Dickinson's cousin on vocals!

They were awesome.  Iiii waant to touch youuuuu

• Like 1

I was at Lolla '94, which had Smashing Pumpkins as headliners, plus George Clinton, Nick Cave, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Breeders, and Green Day (the tour was split with half dates Rage ATM, half Green Day). Side stage acts I saw included Shonen Knife, Stereolab, and Shudder to Think.

Other '90s content was seeing the Spin Doctors/Soul Asylum/Screaming Trees tour in '93, I think that was MTV Alternative Nation. Never saw one of those radio station fests, closest was some summer party at Case Western headlined by The Didjits, who I didn't like.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

I was at Lolla '94, which had Smashing Pumpkins as headliners, plus George Clinton, Nick Cave, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Breeders, and Green Day (the tour was split with half dates Rage ATM, half Green Day). Side stage acts I saw included Shonen Knife, Stereolab, and Shudder to Think.

Other '90s content was seeing the Spin Doctors/Soul Asylum/Screaming Trees tour in '93, I think that was MTV Alternative Nation. Never saw one of those radio station fests, closest was some summer party at Case Western headlined by The Didjits, who I didn't like.

WHOA!  John Lowe didn't like the Didjits?!

Outside of maybe experiencing a Bonnaroo without my ex once, the only festivals that I have any desire to attend of note are Newport Folk and then one I'd like to attend but doubt I ever will is Glastonbury. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Rick Sims gets on my nerves. Didn't like when he joined the Supersuckers, didn't like Gaza Strippers.

The Supersuckers wrote a great endless heartache country song.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Had to look up who else was on the show with beck. The ones I remembered were Matthew Sweet and Luscious Jackson. 

I’m losing my mind that the venue has changed names so often that I didn’t even realize that’s what it was originally called. I haven’t been there since it was the Tweeter Center, but I can’t get attached to names because they change it every 6-7 years.