DVDVR Message Board

Ric Flair’s Last Match Post Show Discussion

Hulk Hogan's Last Match will be headlined by a Hulk Hogan and Abyss vs Kevin Sullivan, Brother Bruti The Butcher, Meng, The Barbarian, Colonel Rob Parker for some reason, and The Blood Hunter in a Doomsday Cage Match which ends with Bruti turning face and giving Hogan and Abyss frying pans to take out the heels.

You'll be able to buy tickets for Hulk Hogan's Last Match directly from Jimmy Hart at Hogan's Hangout during their "Watch Monday Night RAW and do Karaoke" events on Monday nights, brother.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Hulk Hogan's Last Match will be headlined by a Hulk Hogan and Abyss vs Kevin Sullivan, Brother Bruti The Butcher, Meng, The Barbarian, Colonel Rob Parker for some reason, and The Blood Hunter in a Doomsday Cage Match which ends with Bruti turning face and giving Hogan and Abyss frying pans to take out the heels.

Yeah like Flair wouldn’t some how take the pin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Honest question, in 2022, does Lawler still have the cachet to headline a show of similar size in Memphis?

This was pretty scary to watch at times, and I too was insanely relieved they aborted the superplex.

This *might* have been fine five or ten years ago, or if he was in Mike Jackson shape, but holy shit, man. Like NoFlips said, when it was over, it was over.

Truthfully, I watched hopeful we might at least get a promo that rivaled Terry Funk's "Forever!" or the Ultimate Warrior's death promo; an all time-talker doing on the mic what Johnny Cash did with "Hurt." We... did not. But hey, the guy bled, hit a few chops, ate a suplex, the undercard was great (turns out the wrestlers ain't the problem with Impact - big shout out to everyone in the ladies match, especially Rachel Ellering for toughing it out, and of course the legendary MCMGs) and it was nice to see the original Big Gold belt again.

Moral quandaries aside, I've watched worse

If Lawler had the benefit of WWE doing a major event in the area and also access to using AEW or WWE and top tier indy talent, then I could see him doing similar business. Flair had a lot of stuff working in his favor (including a son in law who is rich and has at least some knowledge of promoting). If this was under normal circumstances and with just some local indy guys on the undercard, the turnout for the show would have been as sad as his physical condition.

Even though Lawler hadn't been a local draw in area for 15 years (you could argue 20 since that coincides with Memphis wrestling finally getting cancelled) and a real big draw 15 years before that, he's still a name with some sentimental, nostalgic value. However, it would take the same conditions Flair had for it to work. Otherwise, it's the same 300 maybe hovering just below a thousand you would expect to see at any other Lawler appearance where he wrestles Doug Gilbert in the TN/AR/KY area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

unfortunately Big Slam Vader died 2 years ago, so someone else would need to step up if we're doing Hogan vs Knockoff Vader in a Yapapi Indian Strap Match, Jack.

Jacob Fatu made a case for himself tonight, I think. Sucks about the finish to that one because I thought that was a really cool match.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Jacob Fatu made a case for himself tonight, I think. Sucks about the finish to that one because I thought that was a really cool match.

Well, it was the IMPACT! champion versus the number one contender to the MLW title. I would assume fuckery if they weren't going BROADWAY. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DEAN said:

WAAAAITAMINNIT.  Bob Caudill is still alive?  AWESOME!  SIGN HIM, TK!

AFAIK he's been in rough shape the last several years, which makes it a modern day miracle he's still around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

AFAIK he's been in rough shape the last several years, which makes it a modern day miracle he's still around.

He'd still be better than Jim Ross.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Fun show. Wild AAA 4 way! Can AEWROH rescue Black Taurus already? And Laredo Kid? And why is Bandido not under a AEWROH contract? Or is he? The lesser 4 way was also fun. Okay, so there's good reason for the early hype on young Nick Wayne. This and the Bailey bout has me thinking Alan Angels is a ton more fun outside of the ultra-stale-Dark Order. Takeshita and this run just keeps getting better and better. Loved his exchange with PWI top 500 number 20. Lil Jon's making a great case for himself in the 2022 PWI5hundy! No gripe face on that finish. Terrific opening tag. Shelley and Sabin are goddamn poetry in motion. McMahon may have been right about Kross after all. The No sell suplex exchange with Smith was just awful. I was asking for a heel Pillman-Brock-Arn team a month or so back, and they did not disappoint. Josh Alexander-Fatu was fucking fantastic. No issue with the aforementioned political finish. Von Erichs prove capable of being carried, but then again the Briscoes are incapable of having even a mediocre match at this point. Love Deonna, but skipped the Women's 3 Way. Skimmed that strange and shitty battle royal, but was glad to see Mance Warner get the boot. Nice promo from Ol Mancer. How's this guy not under AEW contract? Is MLW still holding him to one of their embarrassing contracts? Tom Hannifan is Ichiban! Pretty solid commentary throughout on this show. The main was strange and fascinating. Jeff and Karen Jarrett were a ton of fun (dug that pre-show promo with Karen and Lethal). I'd love to see Andrade and Lethal lock horns in AEW. I can't say I didn't expect Flair looking like near death. Glad he managed to escape still breathing. Not sure what that did to his health moving forward? Skipped most of those tributes, but got a bit of a laugh listening to Cody ramble on about the possibility of this not being Flair's last match. Flair-Mike Jackson 'sign it TK!'

• Like 2

The Bandido/Rey Fenix/Laredo Kid/Black Taurus match was the best 1998 WCW Lucha Libre match.  Black Taurus was a TOTAL fucking beast in that match.  I want Rey Fenix versus Bandido on Dynamite Wednesday.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Skimmed that strange and shitty battle royal, but was glad to see Mance Warner get the boot. Nice promo from Ol Mancer. How's this guy not under AEW contract? Is MLW still holding him to one of their embarrassing contracts?

I believe he RE-SIGNED with MLW.

• Like 1

I'm watching the Jacob Fatu/Josh Alexander match and the ULTIMATE commentating team would be Tom Hannifan, Tony Schiavonne and Caprice Coleman.  
That match was fucking great.  Smark Mark Sterling took the greatest piledriver EVER!

EDIT: THIS is where the Briscoes come out to Gimme Back My Bullets?  What the FUCK?

• Like 2

Watching the “highlight” video of the main event match and just realized they did two different “babyface gets out of the way and causes the heel to hit the other heel” spots in the same match, which might be too many.

also Andrade pulling Flair out of the way of the guitar shot could work as a spot not involving a 73 year old.

I saw a Jarrett/Abyss vs Beer Money house show tag match in 2010 where it was pretty obvious that Jeff could do a tag match at a house show in his sleep. I’m guessing all the non-Flair parts of this match were perfectly acceptable but the giant elephant in the room really dragged things.

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

You'll be able to buy tickets for Hulk Hogan's Last Match directly from Jimmy Hart at Hogan's Hangout during their "Watch Monday Night RAW and do Karaoke" events on Monday nights, brother.

Hogan and Beefcake take on a reunited Harlem Heat, which only serves to show off Hogan's non-racist side as he makes the save for the Heat and runs off Ghost Dick Murdoch.

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Featuring an opening performance by his former bandmates in Metallica! 

STEROIDS! INHIBITING ME! BLOOD IN MY PEE! ANABOLIC HORROR!

So amazing that 20 years ago we were watching rookie Jay Lethal at a converted supermarket in Bayonne. Fast-forward to present day and here he is given the honor and trust of being Ric f'n Flair's final opponent. Wrestling is weird and wonderful sometimes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4