DVDVR Message Board

Paper Girls

J.H.

I binged it all between last Friday night and last Saturday afternoon and really enjoyed it overall. Thought Ali Wong really did great in dramatic role. Manzoutkas showing up made me go "WHAT?!?" In a totally happy way.

I think it's pretty good and looking forward to season 2, which is already confirmed

James

• Like 2

My daughter and I discovered this what feels like totally randomly and we love it. Well, we at least love the first two episodes. Also didn't know this was a graphic novel.

5 episodes in and enjoying it so far despite not finding any of the characters likable per say. Never read the comics, but it seems like the best adaption of BKV's works so far compared to Runaways and Y which I just couldn't be bothered to finish. Maybe it helps that I never read Paper Girls.

Still throws me seeing Brad Pitt as a producer. I assume one of the companies involved is owned by him, but it still seems so random.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Does this get better after the first episode? I gave it about halfway but it felt like it was trying way too damn hard to cash in on the same nostalgia vibes as Stranger Things.

It’s a little out of sight/out of mind a year later and post-cancellation but my memory is that it did get better and had its own voice once it got going.

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Does this get better after the first episode? I gave it about halfway but it felt like it was trying way too damn hard to cash in on the same nostalgia vibes as Stranger Things.

Never really got Stranger Things vibes from it, especially since most of takes place in a different time period. I concur that it improves as it goes on.

15 hours ago, Contentious C said:

It picks up.

My rule with most series is to give them 3 episodes unless they really turn me off.