DVDVR Message Board

RAMPAGE!- 7/29/2022

DEAN

On 7/28/2022 at 4:17 PM, christopher.annino said:

They actually tried to get a foot in the door in New England but it fizzled out QUICKLY. 

Dunkins is fine but we've got Heav'nly Donuts in parts of NH/MA and it's worlds better. 

Heav'nly Donuts is a chain?!?!? I can near-literally see one from my house, and I thought it was a mom 'n pop. The lady who runs ours is super nice, she just sent pastries yesterday when she heard I have COVID. My mind's a little blown by this news.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 hours ago, J.T. said:

There are supposedly two locations of Sugar Shack somewhere in RVA.  One day I will not be lazy and will go find one myself.

348s.jpg&ehk=VLuhHSVWNdTzIpWCFwgjJ1HjLB2

I have had them before and they are delicious.  You would fight someone over the last maple glazed in the box..  Yes, you would.

There's two Country Styles (one near the airport and one on Broad towards the West End), as well as Donuts Company on Midlothian Turnpike that's ran by relatives of the folks that run Country Style, and I can vouch for the maples at all three.

(And like... 95% of the menu. A girl has needs.)

28 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Heav'nly Donuts is a chain?!?!? I can near-literally see one from my house, and I thought it was a mom 'n pop. The lady who runs ours is super nice, she just sent pastries yesterday when she heard I have COVID. My mind's a little blown by this news.

Off the top of my head there's locations in Epping, Plaistow, and Windham NH as well as a bunch in the Haverhill/Methuen MA area! 

A quick search says there's 14 in all!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Im not 100% sure where I saw this, but I read a while ago that AEW rules are simply that the illegal man gets more time in the ring before a DQ than they would elsewhere, like 20 seconds vs the traditional 5-10 or something like that.

Early in the company's history, the commentators emphasized that in AEW you had a 10-count after a tag as opposed to the traditional 5-count. Haven't heard it mentioned in a while, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PLATINUM SATMAN!  JANE!  Trent and Lethal are both so polished.  Orange Cassidy calls out Satman!  They are fucking around a lot in this match. GIANT double crossbody by Satnam!  PUT THE TRIOS BELT ON HIM!  Oh man, I just had a vision about the trios division and it looks so fun.  Cassidy is such a great Ricky Morton.  I'm loving King's Road Chuck Taylor.  Orange Cassidy punches Sanjay Dutt for the win!  Satman slaughters everyone postmatch!  WARDLOW!  Wardlow?  Hey!  It's Wardlow!  I guess Jay Lethal is going to get mauled by Samoa Joe and then Wardlow in quick succession.  Leon Ruffin is on TV!  Leon Ruffin takes a complete assbeating by Ethan Page. Ethan Page is doing an MJF thing? Oh geez.  Kole Carter is joining the Factory?  Why not?  Actually, Kole Carter should align with Smart Mark Sterling.  Evil Lee Moriarty!  I'm all about it!  Matt Sydel looks great in picture in picture.  I await the INTERNATIONAL FEED tomorrow.  Street Fight Matt Sydel is the best Matt Sydel.  WHO KNEW?  Ass stomper Lee Moriarty is the best Lee Moriarty!  I figured that much.  This match is great.  Stokely Hathaway!  Moriarty sinks in the the Border City Stretch and he doesn't release it!  Moriarty aligns with Stokely Hathaway!  Put him over Wardlow!  And then put him over Hook!  Moriarty the belt collector!  Britt Baker SOWS SEEDS of distrust between Thunder Rosa and Toni Storm!  Wheeler Yuta versus Chris Jericho will be good.  Hmmm.  A dumpster match.  HOLY SHIT!  CLAUDIO VERSUS KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!  Evil Anna Jay AS is waay more fun.  She can fill the time between her perfectly fine offense by garner HEEL HEAT!  Ruby Soho as a sympathetic babyface is pretty natural for her.  Anna Jay looks good in picture in picture, beating on our face in peril.  Ruby cracks Anna in the face with a forearm but Anna cuts her off.  Soho hits a great Backdrop Driver WHILE selling her arm.  This match is good.  Soho rolls out of the Queenslayer!  Anna Jay AS kicks out of the Destination Unknown!  Anna Jay CHEATS TO WIN!  I wanna a street fight.  That was a good episode.  Nothing as intense as Wednesday, but it was good.  AEW RULES THE ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Hey! Ruby! Ruby Soho! What country is Dustin and Cody's dad from?

Hide contents

Dusty's nation? Unknown.

OH GOD DAMN IT!

• Thanks 1

I really loved the Ruby/Anna JAS match. 

Ruby is so good. I think her strength is that she knows her limitations. She was a theater kid/punk fan as a kid. She does not have an athletic background. I think that has shaped her so well into focusing on making sure her offense look effective but most importantly in knowing how to react in the ring instead of selling (to quote Mr. Regal). 

That was just a quality story-driven match. Ruby comes in hurt and has her arm braced. Anna attacks her hand and just does some basic lock-up stuff that Ruby very realistically makes look like death with what I assume is a fully kayfabe injury. Ruby fights back with her good arm and when she’s doing so also has a little head bob that I like a lot - it creates a rhythm for the crowd to feel. And then Anna Jay can cut off that rhythm and build heat.  Anna looks nasty doing just a really basic offense on her end. I think the most complex move she did was a super kick. The end was a really good callback to her previous attempt to use Ruby’s brace and also her being heel smart enough to dispose of it at ringside.

That was not a MOTY or anything of the sort but that was a perfect match and a shining example of why I think Ruby Soho is a fantastic professional wrestler.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The Acclaimed ripping this off was great. 

Plus a DUMPSTER MATCH?! Please have some styrofoam peanuts, but please no wood planks in the bottom. 

Singh is a winner though I wanna see what he can do outside being a brick wall. He has a ton of charisma just coming out to the ring. That was a real fun match. 

Ethan Page squash YES PLEASE. 

The Lee Moriarty kick against the rail during the PnP was evil; Dean will find the gif for us soon. 

Petulant Child Jericho is the Best Jericho. 

Main was alright. Ruby is really good at selling if you didn't know that already. The hidden object choke seems like an innovation, has anyone ever done that before? 

All in all a perfectly fine show. 

• Like 5

On 7/29/2022 at 1:28 AM, JLowe said:

I like me a simple cake donut, maybe a blueberry cake donut if I'm feeling fauncy. Last time I even remember eating a donut was at the original Duck Donuts in 2016.

I will likely be missing Rampage as Friday is my 6th wedding anniversary and we're having a little downtown Austin staycation to celebrate. 

Happy 6th Wedding Anniversary to the both of you xxx.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Lee Moriarty kick against the rail during the PnP was evil; Dean will find the gif for us soon. 

HEY! IT SHOWED UP!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think a heel turn and pairing with Stokely could be a good move for Lee Moriarty. Hope it works out well for him. 

I like Anna Jay, but something I notice with her, her movement can look a bit sluggish and slow at times. Ruby Soho looked really good and polished tonight. I think she's always been good, but she is just really good at selling the match and making it look legit if that makes any sense.

Did Claudio get a new ROH title? Like it looks like the same design, but it looks like it's been cleaned up and polished.

OK, so we're continuing with making AEW shows a dual ROH product. Again, I feel like Battle of the Belts is getting short-changed here. I thought these were supposed to be big Clash of the Champions style shows. I mean they are quarterly TNT specials, feels like there should be a couple bigger matches on there.

I just feel like Tony Khan bought ROH and didn't really know or plan with what he was going to do with it. He's just added ROH to his AEW brand, without really clarifying or saying what's going on. Like what are we doing here. Is this AEW & ROH show? Is it AEW, ROH, or both? Why not put Moxley/Jericho II on Battle of the Belts 3, you know your TNT quarterly ALL ELITE WRESTLING special instead of an ROH title match?

• Like 4

This week's Rampage thread brought to you by Mandy and Sonya?

A coworker of mine lives near a Krispy Kreme factory and says sometimes the smell is so good it's almost aggrivating. Having said that, on the daily I do prefer dunkin since Krispy Kreme's are almost a little too sweet (heh, too sweet) that they feel like more of a special occassion thing.

Yeah Anna's probably gonna be for the better being paired off with Jericho. I wouldn't mind some Dark Order/JAS multi mans over her leaving too. Tell me Silver and Jericho going at it on the mic wouldn't rule.  Didn't mind the finish as much since that's two main events ending with JAS chicanery. 

Claudio/Takeshita is gonna rule.

A little surprised Yuta didn't sucker Jericho into a Pure Rules match, maybe saving that one for later.

• Like 2

The best hour of TV in wrestling

• I thought the six man was fun. Satnam's execution is coming along but he has to learn how to sell and give correctly. The arm flailing on the apron didn't work. It's super premature for a Wardlow match, but I guess Wardlow vs Lethal might work. I thought Dutt was a lot of fun in there, especially when he thought he was outsmarting Cassidy only for the pencil break to make him lose his cool. That's all character driven stuff, like always.
  • I wish they had isolated the Elevation Ruffin vs Page match and put it at the top of their youtube channel and told people to go take a look at it after the show. It was a match people should see. Or even better, they should have highlighted it a few days ago and used social media to push people to it. Something, anything. You guys are filming it and even using it in programming. Make sure people see it. Make some effort. Come on. If they're cycling Lambert out while Sky is injured, Stoke and Page is a good combo.
  • Most entertaining Jericho section in forever. I think Yuta could have slowed down just a little bit here or there on his delivery but in general, it hit. Claudio isn't polished on the mic but he's earnest and honest and human and you want to hear him have his moment and get his pop each and every week. You get the sense of how much he cares and because he cares, we care.
  • Moriarty vs Sydal was pretty good. Moriarty and Yuta are completely different wrestlers than they were a year ago. Garcia was already on that path and Dante hasn't really picked up that aggressiveness. Even if you look at Anna Jay in the main, the hammer and anvil stuff is all over the place now. In a lot of ways the entire ring style of the company has changed due to the Mox/Danielson pairing and rise, with a bit of Brooks-ism tossed in when it comes to making individual spots matter.
  • Acclaimed music video wasn't as good as Goth Phase, but I love the idea of the Dumpster match. I wonder if Khan or Gunn came up with it. I can't wait for Road Dogg to get all pissy about it on social media because they won't give him a job.
  • Really liked the main event. It had two things going for it, the first the announcers completely missed. 1. Anna teamed a whole bunch with Ruby and because of that, she was prepared for all of her signature offense. 2. The work on the arm which was fairly brutal. I know Jay had the Jade match and some other stuff but this was easily her best singles showing. She's so stiff and tries way too hard on the mic but in some ways that fits into the JAS perfectly. If Tay and Sammy just have their natural hate-a-bility, she should be more like Menard and especially Parker and just lean into the Sports Entertainer-isms. Watch a ton of awkward media interviews where people ask WWE women about why they don't have unions or where they go on and on about how amazing Vince has been to them and lean into that kind of thing.

Anyway, good show and I love that Dynamite looks like a good show despite having almost entirely different people wrestle from last week. And that's still with another whole cycle of guys like FTR or House of Black or Pac or Miro just not wrestling on either show. What a roster they have.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1