DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 7/27/2022

The Natural

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

All my homies hate 2022 Jim Ross commentary. 

2022? He's been actively bad for years. I remember complaints about his New Japan commentary years ago on AXS TV. The same thing about not bothering to learn Hikaru Shida's name was also true back then with various NJPW wrestlers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I assumed that was a knock on WWE announcers not being able to use pronouns and he was having a flashback of being yelled at but who the hell knows. 

To me, the craziest announcing moment of the night was when he was shitting on back rakes and Taz tried to cover by invoking Ronnie Garvin and he doubled down. 

He’s the pits.

What about when he spoiled the Rampage women's match announcement and Taz and Tony were like "well, yeah, we heard people talking about something like that maybe happening backstage but I don't think it's been signed yet"...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Sting, Darby, and Miro vs. House of Black is the kind of interweaving of storyline and tournament that Khan likes to do the past year. There are some other obvious ones: JAS combination, BCC, Satnam/Sonjay/Lethal. It does seem like there are fewer options than last summer. 

If Punk is talking about his foot feeling like it's on fire and being in pain after doing comic con, All Out seems like a really quick turnaround. If not Punk, who does Moxley defend against that will be a viable threat and worthy of headlining a PPV? 

Oh man can't believe I forgot JAS and BCC. Lethal and co. would work if Sonjay is actually gonna wrestle again (I know he's scheduled for friday but who knows if its a one off or if hes gonna be active again)

52 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Kris Statlander. Let her yeet people around like the weirdly dorky powerhouse she is meant to be.

God yes. I've been dying to see her win the belt for what feels like forever now. She's a lot like Eddie Kingston in that if they wait too long, they'll lose out on the kind of special crowd reaction they can show in highlight videos for years to come.

• Like 1

what a king-sized episode!

Moxley/Rush was aces

Ricky Starks put over 3 people in an all-time great segment (hook, himself, and hobbs).

Jungle Boy with a freaking great promo. seriously, this will be mentioned in his history for a LONG time.

Thunder Rosa and Yamashita looked like they had a lot of timing or communication issues. was looking forward to this match but was disappointed.

Garcia upsets Dragon!

and the long expected Trios titles get announced. hyped!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

So... trios. I think anyone with a brain can see it's leading to Cole/Redragon vs Bucks and either Hangman or Omega in the finals. How many other already set trios/stables are there? Gunn Club obviously. Death Triangle if they get Pac back over here. House of Black would be a gimme, but Matthews is hurt (unless they put in Miro or have Black corrupt somoene else)

Buddy's not hurt as far as I know, he's been in Australia for the month and worked there last weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

So... trios. I think anyone with a brain can see it's leading to Cole/Redragon vs Bucks and either Hangman or Omega in the finals. How many other already set trios/stables are there? Gunn Club obviously. Death Triangle if they get Pac back over here. House of Black would be a gimme, but Matthews is hurt (unless they put in Miro or have Black corrupt somoene else). Dark Order. The Factory. Nightmare family. Andrade and his hired goons. Am I missing any? I'm not talking about obvious pairings (like Sting/Darby/Hardy) but established factions.

I believe Murphy is healthy, just wrestling in Australia at the moment. No more Team Taz after tonight and Santana's hurt so no Ortiz/Santana/Kingston, but there's still a lot of stables/trios

• Undisputed Elite (Cole/O'Reilly/Fish)
  • OG Elite (Bucks/Omega or Hangman)
  • Death Triangle (Lucha Bros/PAC)
  • House of Black (Black/King/Matthews)
  • JAS (2.0/Garcia or Hager)
  • BCC (Claudio/Dragon/Yuta, probably not Mox)
  • Dark Order (Uno/Silver/Reynolds or Ten)
  • Best Friends (Trent/Chuck/OC)
  • Gunn Club (Billy/Austin/Colton)
  • The Factory (QT/Solow/Comorotto or Ogogo)

That's already more than needed for what's presumingly an eight team tournament, and that's leaving out Sting/Darby/Miro, which they seem to be building to.

The problem with Thunder Rosa's title reign is that there are exactly two women in this company with star power and their names are Britt Baker and Jade Cargill. Kris Statlander is right there, the people want to get behind her but she's playing second fiddle to Athena for some reason. Stat's the right person to beat Jade, make it happen, move Jade on to the main Women's title, and have her feud with a face Britt Baker.

I don't know what they do with Mox if Punk's not ready. Jericho's the top heel and they're running that match in two weeks, unless Jericho wins and they do a rematch. I'd be cool with that actually, let Jericho drop it to Kingston at Grand Slam and you got Kingston finally winning the big one but still having a chip on his shoulder because he's just the interim champ vs returning "real champion" Punk for Full Gear.

The other option is MJF, but I'm not sure how you pull off the turnaround from shadowbanned to #1 contender in a month.

• Like 2

On the trios tournament: I say go for a lean, stacked 8 team field.

• Hangman & Silver/Reynolds
  • Omega & the Bucks
  • Cole & reDragon
  • Best Friends
  • YUTA, Claudio & Danielson
  • JAS variation
  • House of Black
  • Andrade/RUSH/Dragon Lee

The last entrant you could swap out with, I dunno, Death Triangle or the Gunn Club, or a Forbidden Door team, or even the ROH Six Man Tag champs trying to go for even more gold. Danhausen & The Acclaimed? Danhausen, Ricky Starks & HOOK? Maybe Jericho doesn't challenge at All Out, and we get two entries for the JAS (Garcia/2.0 and Sammy/Hager/Jericho). Lotta possibilities here.

• Like 2

FYyhd2xUIAAWTHs?format=jpg&name=small

Great looking set of belts. My favourite is definitely the AEW World Championship. My least favourite by far is the AEW All-Atlantic Championship, it's too similar to the AEW Women's World Championship. Felt that way and that the AEW-All Atlantic Championship is unnecessary since it was revealed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have watched wrestling for over 40 years; and there have been few sequences better than the beginning of the FTW championship match to the end of Ricky Starks being vertical and conscious. Masterful work, and the lions share of credit easily goes to Ricky Starks. I don't like to throw around ultimatums, but this better be the start of something big for Starks and Hobbs or I will flip tables like Jesus in the Temple. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

AEW-All Atlantic Championship is unnecessary since it was revealed.

I agree it's not 100% necessary but they've made it a fun touring belt where they show the matches on Dark -- Pac just defended it in OTT in Ireland.  It's kinda cool to see "AEW SUPERSTARS" in these intimate little buildings and it promotes indy wrestling.

• Like 6

As much as I hate being teased that my favorite wrestler is injured.  As much as I hate to see him lose.  That was a great way to do it.  He has massive credit to spend and isn’t at all diminished by this loss.  Good tv.  Very happy to see Garcia get elevated.

Another wacky fun awesomeness wrestling show this week.  

Who knew Jungle Jack had it in him?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I agree it's not 100% necessary but they've made it a fun touring belt where they show the matches on Dark -- Pac just defended it in OTT in Ireland.  It's kinda cool to see "AEW SUPERSTARS" in these intimate little buildings and it promotes indy wrestling.

Only thing going for it along with PAC finally holding AEW gold.

39 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

As much as I hate being teased that my favorite wrestler is injured.  As much as I hate to see him lose.  That was a great way to do it.  He has massive credit to spend and isn’t at all diminished by this loss.  Good tv.  Very happy to see Garcia get elevated.

Another wacky fun awesomeness wrestling show this week.  

Who knew Jungle Jack had it in him?

Bryan Danielson is the greatest wrestler of all time, one of the most selfless as well. Great Bryan Danielson putting over a new talent, I really like the Blackpool Combat Club but I still believe when you have the GOAT, you put the top title on him and have in the main event. I'll always believe Danielson should have beat Adam Page for the AEW World Championship.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eikerir said:

One day Hook is gonna burst out laughing on camera and it's gonna get one of the biggest pops ever.

5 hours ago, punkenhead said:

Danhausen has come close to getting him to break. Somebody will, and it will be awesome. 

John Silver. Silver broke Orange Cassidy on BTE.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Only thing going for it along with PAC finally holding AEW gold.

Bryan Danielson is the greatest wrestler of all time, one of the most selfless as well. Great Bryan Danielson putting over a new talent, I really like the Blackpool Combat Club but I still believe when you have the GOAT, you put the top title on him and have in the main event. I'll always believe Danielson should have beat Adam Page for the AEW World Championship.

One of the things the old fogies in the biz generally get right is that there is a way to lose for the betterment of your career.  Even Danhausen seems to have it down.  Dude got beat in a minute and a half and he’ll still have the credit to stay over and even do the underdog rallies to victory later on.  AmDrag is a master of this if his 2013 is any illustration.  

Now let’s compete over who loves him more.

?

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

JR has repeatedly made digs at pronouns before to mock Vince railing against not using pronouns. This was just another instance of that. I’m surprised you all haven’t heard him say that before. That’s why I think he would never go back to work for Vince because he’s always making that dig at him.

And this time he was doing his Jim Barnett impression . I gotta say, I enjoy old JR in that train wreck way I love awkward announcing.

Discussing whether or not someone would be willing to go back to work for Vince is kind of a moot point now, isn't it? Vince is done and gone. Steph and Trips are in charge now. Although whether or not they actually start relaxing Vince's bizarre nuspeak rules is up in the air.

Edited by AxB