DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 7/25 - 7/31/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Sorry I'm late.  PAC vs LJ Cleary drove DARK to 8:30ish and then I had to wash a lot of dishes and take a shower.  So it was a late start!  It's Wes Lee versus Grayson Waller.  I imagine that both will come out of this looking like a million bucks since both of them are kings at making an opponent look like a million bucks.  This match is filled with WORKRATE~!  Their powers of making the opponent look really good seems to cancel each other out.  Each looks good but nobody is really doing anything spectacular.  Nice backbreaker by Grayson Waller in the picture in picture.  Yeah, you need a monster heel or monster face in this match to play to both of these guys strengths.  Maybe it will pick up when this endless commercial break finally ends.  Another backbreaker as they kill time.  Nice powerbomb by Waller.  Both these guys can go.   Fun comeback by Wes Lee, culminating with a tope.  Somebody punches him with boxing gloves?  WWE is not afraid to whip out a super shitty finish.  Yeesh!  It's Xyon Quinn!  It's Appollo Crews!  This is good in a low grade kind of way.  Very old school with Crews selling a beating and then making a comeback with a batch of clotheslines and a corner splash.  It's your basic wrestling match.  Xyon hits a Swinging Death Valley Bomb for two.  Crews hits a Backstabber and chokeslam-ish move for the WIN!  That was solid if unspectacular.  It's Zoey Stark!  It's good to see her wrestling again.  The last time she was wrestling, she was taking Toni Storm's most lunatic finisher on top of her head like a champ.  Gigi Dolin is fun.  This should be good.  Stark is distracted by the rest of Toxic Attraction and Zoey becomes our face in peril.  Dolin makes growly, evil faces while applying her offense.  I love Zoey Stark's finisher which makes her opponent turn a superfluous somersault before kicking them in the head.  That was good if really brief.  Toxic Attraction can't jump Zoey postmatch!  BUT CORA JADE CAN!  With a Kendo stick!  ROXANNE PEREZ MAKES THE SAVE!  CORA WANTS NO PART OF ROXANNE!  I wonder if Trips will make them tag together again, just to show that tag team wrestling is back.  That would be a fun destination to this story.  Hey!  It's Medusa!  She used to wrestle fucking Lionness Asuka.  She's awesome.  Have I seen Andre Chase wrestle before?  I don't know. I can't recall.  My life fades.  The vision dims.  All that remains are memories...  Giovanni Vinci is good.  Andre Chase appears to be good.  Vinci takes the Psicosis Bump through the turnbuckle into the ringpost!  This is good.  Chase bumps to the floor.  Vinci is fun taking Chases offense and making Chase look like a million bucks.  Chase hits a Russian Legsweep AND a Swinging Neckbreaker!  He hits a Urinagi FOR TWO!  NICE BRAINBUSTER by Vinci.  This match is fun.  Vinci with a Last Ride for the win!  Vinci is waaay more polished than Chase, but Chase was good enough to hang.  That was good.  Arianna Grace is stunning.  Can she wrestle yet?  Indi Harwell has been treading water since her boyfriend started showing up on NWA Powerrr.  Grace looks fine on offense.  She also CHEATS!  But the ref catches her!  Harwell kicks her in the face and gets the win.  That was perfectly fine.  It's Diamond Mine versus Tony D'Angelo and crew.  Man, Julius isn't afraid to do an unprotected throw.  So it takes at least four folks to catch Brutus to make his cannonball not look completely insane.  Damon Kemp might be my new favorite of the Diamond Mine who isn't Ivy Nile.  His Steinerisms are better than el Hijo De Rick Steiner's Steinerisms.  Man, Julius is fucking INSANE on the hot tag.  This got real good real quick.  Fun finish as Tony D'Angelo does his own Steiner impression as he does a super impressive deadlift Powerslam for the pin.  That was good.  Two good matches!  That's quality NXT.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Raw

Last week

1,764 (0.46)

This week

1,901 (0.49)

Triple H beat Tony Khan and AEW. Wow. Gtg.

One thousand, nine hundred and one people watched RAW?  That can't be good.

8 minutes ago, DEAN said:

One thousand, nine hundred and one people watched RAW?  That can't be good.

Its in the million. Don't ask me why people count it that way, with the first 4 digits of that 1 million.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

Waller/Lee was good.

Stark/Gigi was solid while it lasted. Du the post match attack by Cora leading to Roxanne's return.

The backstage segment announcing next week's tag titles match with Madusa was nice. So was the final segment with Gigi and Jacy interacting with Madusa. 

Chase/Vinci was way the fuck better than I expected. Chase is perfectly solid, but he Vinci led him into a pretty good match with Chase honestly upping his game a decent bit as it went on.

Indi/Grace was decent.

The Wendy Choo segment was nice. Curious to see what kind of change Choo goes through to take on Stratton.

Diamond Mine vs. Tony D & co. was damn good. All of the Diamond guys were fired up and the Legado portion of Tony's crew delivered as always be it be on defense or bumping big. Even the non 2-Dimes guy whose name I don't know was surprisingly bumping well.

• Like 1

So, that Raw was my first time actually seeing Austin Theory. Uh, that's the guy they think they can build the company around? He has a more punchable face than Miles Teller and there's nothing remotely cool or good about him. That only got reinforced by Roman dismantling him on the mic. And then I stopped watching Raw after that opening segment. It just felt like the announcers kept yelling shit, which is such a Vince-ism.

I think some things are going to take longer to get better.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

So, that Raw was my first time actually seeing Austin Theory. Uh, that's the guy they think they can build the company around? He has a more punchable face than Miles Teller and there's nothing remotely cool or good about him. That only got reinforced by Roman dismantling him on the mic. And then I stopped watching Raw after that opening segment. It just felt like the announcers kept yelling shit, which is such a Vince-ism.

I think some things are going to take longer to get better.

Theory is a decent heel and was a fun goofball heel in NXT as Gargano's dumb jock adopted son. Not sure they were planning to build the company around him. Even with his recent push he feels more like a heel on the Miz's level, plenty of success but never the top guy.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Well this is strange and unexpected

Whaaaaaa? That feels like it was totally out of the blue. I take it Minnesota must have completely given up on hosting a WM. And it sucks that they haven't gone back to Ford Field. It's personal bias, but that was one of the most fun shows to attend. Despite it being a large stadium, the sight lines were perfect, everything sounded great, and it seemed like there was plenty of parking. 

WWE info 

Triple H and Paul Heyman are scouting for talent during Summerslam. Young independent tapent allowed.

1-87-768x480.jpg

Young talent like Theory worked the indys before WWE, he will be Vince's last chosen one.

Some matches went longer on Raw and the comedy stuff like 24/7 was kept off Raw.

Roman on Vince, “I wish him nothing but luck and happiness in his future,” Reigns said. “He’s been great to me and my family.”

Whoa!  They are getting right to it.  Usually I get a good twenty minutes of fast forwarding before they actually lock up.  This is fun.  Drew McIntyre and Sheamus beat the crap out of each other.  Sheamus bumps like a total weirdo!  TABLES!  Shillelaghs are being used but they are used in this match like baseball bats are used in wrestling- not actually swinging it to legit kill someone by hitting them in the head.  Which is good, but they should explain that to the audience.  You know, "It was agreed before the match that neither participant will actually legit murder the other by swinging a stick at his opponent's head."  That would be good.  DDT on the chairs FOR TWO!  Sheamus IS Road Warrior Hawk!  Ridge Holland with a Shillelagh!  Sheamus with a knee to the head!  FOR TWO!  Drew McIntyre IS the Monster Meng!  McIntyre suplexes Holland on the floor through a table!  Don't remind us of Holland and suplexes on the floor.  This match is fucking great.  Sheamus cant bust up the bar after two shots at it head first and Butch injects himself by diving onto McIntyre!  Butch throws Sheamus a GIANT Shillelagh!  Drew gets it away from him and whacks Butch and Sheamus!   Sheamus is powerbombed through a table and THEN Sheamus is hit with a CLAYMORE!  The move, not a giant sword.  That was waaaay fun.  Hey!  It's Theory- who is no longer farther along than Daniel Garcia.  I must learn how to spell Aliyah.  Oh, it's not that complicated.  Shotzi no longer takes lunatik bumps but she is fine.  I don't think I've ever actually seen Aliyah wrestle.  I dig her.  She will lay it in.  Shotzi has a gnarly finisher.  That was good if really short.  Oh man, two WWE Wrestling Machines, Sonya Deville and Natalya, are tagging together.  Ronda Rousey looks great in with Natalya.  Deville fucking lays it in with Morgan.  Deville is prolly my favorite WWE wrestler.  Morgan bumps like a psycho against the barricade.  Natalya hits a BEAUTIFUL Snap Suplex in the ring and another on the floor.  Deville and Natalya are great beating a giant section of heat upon Liv Morgan.  Morgan refuses to make the hot tag!  Okay, this is suddenly awesome.  Deville and Natalya start channeling Arn and Tully and REALLY start beating the crap out of Morgan.  Rousey tags Morgan and it's fucking great.  Natalya and Deville are an AWESOME heel tagteam.  It's WAR MACHINE!  It's A New Day!  Kofi Kingston takes a horrifying ass beating.  Xavier Woods is fiery with his hot tag!  There are many fun nearfalls!  Kofi Kingston prollu shouldn't wrestle these guys because he looks like he got three or four concussions in this match.  Postmatch, they mangle Woods' leg.  Well THAT episode was two good matches.  YAY LEVESQUE!

• Like 1

Sheamus/Drew was good with the two beating the crap out of each other form beginning to end.

Aliyah/Shotzi was decent while it lasted.

Liv/Ronda vs. Nattie/Sonya was good. Dug the idea of Liv trying to prove herself though it maybe lasted just a pinch long. 

New Day vs. Viking Raiders was good despite a flub or two. The teams worked pretty well together. Hopefully we get a bigger rematch at some point.

The pacing felt better than usual with some of the segments and matches bleeding into each other.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The pacing felt better than usual with some of the segments and matches bleeding into each other.

I think it was because they started straight off with action in the ring.  This was the first time I watched Smackdown like an episode of Rampage.  I can't imagine watching Smackdown in real time usually but I didn't start fast forwarding until like 25 minutes in.

• Like 1