DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 7/25 - 7/31/2022

Dolfan in NYC

To say this is going to be one of the more interesting weeks in WWE would be a bit of an understatement.

THAT'S RIGHT, RAYMOND STEREO HAS JUST REACHED TWENTY YEARS IN WWE!!!  

Nothing else of note is happening!  Nothing at all!  

Man if it's me... they're in MSG tonight. There's a new head of creative for the first time in 40 years. There's buzz. There's optimism. Punch that shit up and give us something exciting and new. Capitalize on the interest in Triple H taking over.

But I'm fairly certain they will be rolling with whatever was already written. It's a big mistake in my opinion. But it's just the way WWE operates these days. No big new splash and exciting first night, just business as usual.

I could be wrong. It'd be nice to be wrong.

But WWE more than any company I think I've ever encountered, is built upon the principle that there's one way to do things. There's a right way and a wrong way and there was a winner to history and losers. The company is based on papal infallibility. The quick cuts were deemed necessary due to HD and now there are generations of people on the production team, multiple iterations who have not just only known that way but who were trained by people who were trained by people who were trained by people who only knew that way. If this happened twenty years ago, it might be different. If it was someone but Steph in there, who was born and raised and spent her entire professional career in this environment, maybe it'd be different. WWE isn't a wrestling company. It's not even a sports entertainment company. It's a company that produces WWE product, the chemical makeup of which, is one thing and one thing only and can be one thing and one thing only. It's made on an assembly line that is elaborate and complicated and precise. It's also completely convoluted, with pipes going every which way in order to please one person who ruled over all others and had crazy whims. But that's not the point. The point is that it's a factory and pretty much all anyone can do right now is either press a button to make it go or dismantle the whole thing. If there are manuals on how to do things for new hires, they're ones that only envision the WWE product as we see it right now.

• Like 3

It's Theory (maybe he'll go back to Austin Theory!) versus Drew McIntyre.  Theory is moving from being a Farther Along Daniel Garcia to now being the WWE Darby Allin, as he is completely ragdolled by McIntyre.  Oh man, Drew Beels Theory way across the ring and hits a released Belly to Belly Suplex into a DDT.  He then beats on him on the floor.  McIntyre is fun but he's not as fun as Brodie King but I dig the fact that they are MIRRORING the Allin/King match- even down to the one hope spot by Theory.  NICE Spinebuster by Drew.  Since this is the WWE, Sheamus and the boys hit the ring and the shitty finishes CONTINUE!  YEESH.  I see that Heyman is booking this as they ECW it into a tag match with Lashley tagging with McIntyre and Sheamus taggin with Theory.  This should be good.  McIntyre becomes our face in peril.  Sheamus brings the clubbing forearms!  Lashley makes the hot tag after there is some kind of dissention  between Theory and Sheamus, so they didn't really get a lot of heat on Drew.  Lashley is s ROBOT as he hoists Sheamus up and hits a vertical suplex!  Oh no!  They have a suplex on the floor involving Ridge Holland!  You shouldn't have him anywhere near that.  Jesus!  Theory has Lashley in a chinlock as we get back from the commercial.  I think they are going to have an actual heat segment on Lashley, as RAW has now broadcast more wrestling in this hour than I can ever remember since I started watching RAW again.  Theory goes back to channeling Darby Allin after Drew makes the hot tag.  McIntyre bumps on both side of the ring to the floor and takes the White Noise to the floor!  Drew McIntyre IS Darby Allin!  Theory goes to hits his finisher and Dolph Ziggler stands up and Theory takes a second to acknowledge it allowing Lashley to apply the Full Nelson and get the win!  That was good. I wonder why you just can't have a clean finish. I mean it was kind of a clean finish, but why have the Ziggler crap involved. Either way, that was good.  It's the Mysterios against Judgement Day AGAIN!  Rey is feeling it.  Rey flies into the turnbuckle like a CHAMP.  Damien Priest takes Rey's offense like a pro before cutting him off and tagging in Finn Balor!  Balor hits a double stomp and Dominick makes the save!  An ode to Eddie!  A Love Machine Splash!  A BIGGER ODE TO EDDIE!  Rey gets the win!  So Vince is definitely gone because I don't think you would get a feel good finish like that.  Vince was too much like Bill Watts to put up with that.  You'd want your heel to ruin the celebration and gather up the heat.  The edges are softening!  OH NO! THERE'S A CAKE! Hey!  Rhea Ripley is back!  They kind of got the Judgement Day's heat back.  I can't believe that Heyman would SHOW A CAKE on a wrestling program and the cake SURVIVES!  Total blasphemy.  Big Time Becks is back to dressing like David Bowie, post Ziggy Stardust, more like Station to Station.  Staaaay, all I want to say is stay or do sooomething.... That was a fun pull apart!  Alexa Bliss takes on Doudrop!  It was perfectly fine.  The Alpha Academy take on Dolph Ziggler and AJ Styles.  Dolph Ziggler had a really fun run in NXT a few months ago so I look forward to see his wrestling stylings again. AJ Styles starts this off and reminds one that he is completely awesome without really trying.  We return from a commercial and Styles is being beaten to death.  Otis CRUSHES Ziggler with a Urican on a running Ziggler.  GREAT fucking EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX by Chad Gable.  Cool finisher by Ziggler for the win.  That was good, if too short.  It's Roman Reigns and the Usos versus Riddle and the Street Profits!  Montez Ford hits a beautiful Tope Con Hilo after the Usos and the Street Profits do what they do every week for the last- what?- four months?  We await Roman Reigns to tag in and he does and he beats the life out of Riddle.  It's been a while since Riddle has sold as assbeating.  They kind of cut it short.  Reigns CRUSHES Ford with a Urinagi!  Ford is bleeding!  I assume it is hardway as it looks like the bridge of the nose. Reigns beats the hell out of Ford and it's pretty great. Ford is assuming the Riddle role and Riddle is assuming the Randy Orton role.  Riddle with stereo Exploiders!  Riddle with a Asai Moonsault!  I was wondering where Angelo Dawkins was as he hits a POUNCE!  Reigns then destroys Dawkins by throwing him through the stairs!  Riddle hits the Orton DDT and he goes for the RKO but Reigns powers out and hits the Spear for the win!  That was a fun match.  Roman Reigns is awesome.  That was a good episode.  Didn't feel overly different.  It was a little tighter than usual.  Postmatch, Seth Rollins beats on Riddle for reasons I didn't follow.  

• Like 2

The opening with Bloodline and Theory was solid. Dug how it led into Theory/Drew and how that led into the tag match with Sheamus and Lashley added. Fun series of segment/matches.

Judgement Day vs. Mysterios was solid. Dug the tribute to Eddie as the finish. Was fine with JD getting their heat back by beating the shit out of Rey with a returning Rhea.

Bloodline vs. Riddle/Profits was unsurprisingly good stuff. The post match beatdown on Riddle by Seth was fine.

Show felt a bit tighter than the norm, but mostly the same as usual which is what I was expecting. I figure any real change will take place over the next few months. Still its always nice when these shows run like this pacing wise. Makes them easier to digest.

• Like 1

Show was good tonight.

Roman torched Theory and it was amazing.

I didn't understand why Drew and then The Brutes were on RAW, but it led to a good tag match. I really hope over the coming months that sort of thing changes. It just makes no sense when someone from Smackdown shows up on RAW for no reason. Plus I cant stand the trope of everyone fighting and they make it a tag match during the break.

I dug the tribute to Rey Mysterio. He's put up with a lot from this company over the years and it was nice to see him be celebrated. The Judgement Day beat down was fine later. I'm just wondering who they find to counter Rhea so the odds are even.

AJ/Dolph vs. Alpha Academy was a fun little match. In a different world, Otis would be the new Ivan Putski in MSG. But thank God for Gable and his whole SHOOOOSH thing taking off.

The Six man was a damn good match. I wish Riddle could still challenge for the title because him and Roman have good chemistry together. The Profits are on a roll so I really hope they take the titles at Summerslam.

My goodness, Meltzer is really old and dumb sometimes. He thought the "your daddy's not here" was in reference to Johnny Gargano. Alvarez thankfully corrected him and said it was in reference to Vince and Dave was just like, "oh, well, I guess that makes sense too."

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I didn't understand why Drew and then The Brutes were on RAW, but it led to a good tag match. I really hope over the coming months that sort of thing changes. It just makes no sense when someone from Smackdown shows up on RAW for no reason.  

They ended the brand split several months ago.

edir: Blue Dragon says brand split still on, so I dunno for sure.  Fairly sure people not holding or chasing titles have been on both shows lately

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

It's been awhile since I've seen a Raw, but found myself curious to see what might happen following the changes. And hearing that the show was taking place at MSG. I'm assuming WWE doesn't regularly or often open their shows in the midst of a brawl. I'm all for new ways of opening the show. Not sure this entirely worked tho. I'd never seen this Logan Paul before. Then I saw these ridiculous looking and massive computer generated characters on my screen of Reigns and the Usos. Bizarre. Felt like a bad sci-fi TV series there for a sec. Reigns comes out with great presence. And I've long missed seeing Heyman cut promos. Then he starts and I'm reminded of the long-winded Raw opening monologues I gladly removed from my life 15 years ago. Reigns follows with solid delivery and next to nothing of importance before 'Theory' interrupts. I'm not sure how Theory here punking out one of the Usos and standing up for himself without consequence is supposed to come across, but it felt like the opposite of the intention. The 'Daddy' line is cute, but it's good to be reminded of 'He' the reason I stopped watching and supporting in any way. I'm ready to turn off the show after this tired opening segment, but sit thru a commercial break. Back on Raw and this Theory I've been hearing about is wrestling, and against Drew McIntyre whom I've only seen once before (from a British Indy highlighted on Youtube). Nothing is particularly bad, but quickly I'm reminded of WWE's in ring style. And I'm out. The whole thing felt dirty to me, like getting inebriated and hooking up with an old flame whom you don't like and doesn't like you, and finding yourself together after the alcohol and/or drugs subside. Or maybe this was more like being presented said scenario, but escaping after some pleasantries. This WWE audience feels like an unsavoury political rally to me, and I wonder if AEW's audience feels the same to somebody tuning in randomly or for the first time? I'm not sure that the opening half hour of Raw is the fairest indication to conclude what WWE is all about, but I'm going to stick to my 'alternatives'.