DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Retires

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

who used to love food but now its just a buisness?

I have to be honest, he's a shit bag and all, but the idea of Vince sitting down somewhere in Greenwich watching like ECW or ROH for the first time or something kinda tickles me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm imagining Vince sitting at home with no assistant, trying desperately to Door Dash a "steak wrap" from various restaurants who have no fucking clue what he's talking about, and he's just getting angrier by the second.  GODDAMIT PAL IT'S STEAK ON A....ON A THING.....ALL ROLLED UP WITH SOME KETCHUP ON THE SIDE

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

18 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

just realized that Conrad is gonna have to be told that Vince McMahon isn't interested in hosting a podcast with him

"Hey hey it's Conrad Thompson, and you're listening to 'such good shit, pal...'"

• Haha 15

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Vince sitting down somewhere in Greenwich watching like ECW or ROH for the first time or something kinda tickles me.

Me too. It would be funny for a former ECW champion to watch ECW for the first time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I don't know if I am the only one, but did this "moment" not hit as hard as you were expecting? By that I mean, I thought I'd be more excited when Vince finally retired and Triple H took over, but it barely even registered. I mean the rumors are interesting, and his actions abhorrent, but as far as the on-screen product goes I don't have that sense of FINALLLLY! like I thought I would. I watched WWE TV regularly for over 20 years and would love to watch it again weekly if the shows got better. I don't know if the *why* he is retiring is putting a damper on things, or I just don't have faith in the WWE Machine at this point really changing. With the TV deals in place, will Steph and Triple H really want to change anything or just figure "its working, stay the course"?

I guess I'm not as optimistic as I may have been five years ago that Vince leaving will make the-screen product noticeably better, I hope I am wrong.

• Like 5

On 7/26/2022 at 3:06 PM, Cobra Commander said:

If there’s a Vince 97th birthday party in 2042 with his surviving loyalists that wouldn’t shock me.

If Vince dropped quick ala Bear Bryant dying a month after retirement, that also wouldn’t surprise me.

I wouldn’t definitively say he’s too old to take on some new interest if he can be untangled from how this is ending. But if he’s done, he might just go full cold turkey and spend time in a Florida mansion without ever watching the WWE again.

Creatively he checked out of this thing years ago. Life work & engrained habits and all that, but nothing in the last 15 years can have remotely approached the buzz he had in being central to the product week in, week out with seminal stars. Just the old circus master at the decaying carnival, finally put out to pasture.

WWF always did love bringing the “Old Yeller” analogy into storylines. Here it is in the flesh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I guess I'm not as optimistic as I may have been five years ago that Vince leaving will make the-screen product noticeably better, I hope I am wrong.

Even one year ago would've made a huge difference, keeping NXT 1.0 in tact and moving some of Hunter and Shawn's guys to the main shows, plus all the downstream effects that would have on AEW.

Right now, they are in a big hole as far as changing the direction of the product goes because of Nick Khan's roster overhaul, but I think in year's time, WWE will be noticeably better without Vince and his multi-decade cronies at the helm (assuming the rest of the operation doesn't collapse of course). I wouldn't expect anything dramatic right away, but there's no way all the "buzzword-heavy, single-formula" WWE presentation we've all come to know and hate over the past 15 years stays in tact.

I really hope the major networks keep WWE and AEW on the air, because I honestly think the next decade could be a new golden age if the exposure is there. I don't think that it's sunk in yet that we have two national companies that are run by people who actually love pro wrestling.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I don't know if I am the only one, but did this "moment" not hit as hard as you were expecting? By that I mean, I thought I'd be more excited when Vince finally retired and Triple H took over, but it barely even registered. I mean the rumors are interesting, and his actions abhorrent, but as far as the on-screen product goes I don't have that sense of FINALLLLY! like I thought I would. I watched WWE TV regularly for over 20 years and would love to watch it again weekly if the shows got better. I don't know if the *why* he is retiring is putting a damper on things, or I just don't have faith in the WWE Machine at this point really changing. With the TV deals in place, will Steph and Triple H really want to change anything or just figure "its working, stay the course"?

I think given how much it felt like an inevitability that he was going to die whilst in power - either doing a ridiculous high spot to show that even he could do it (Narrator: He could not); at his desk reading Superstars run throughs after not sleeping for 2.5 weeks because it seemed weak; or in the middle of a furious coke bender writing the script to No Holds Barred 2. This feels like he's going out on a stool in the corner instead.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'd guess you're not the only one, I mean WWE hasn't been the only option on TV for a while now

Between the tubes and subscription streaming services, there's sooo much good stuff out there to watch nowadays that hoping one brand or product improves is almost not even on my radar, speaking for myself

When Walking Dead fell off a cliff, I just found something else to replace it. Years later I don't give one fuck I'd the show or its spinoffs pick up the writing and the story, I've already moved on 

Ditto just about any other media like your GoT or Star Wars or MCU tie ins. Something loses its way, writers suck etc, fuck it I go on and find something else to get absorbed it and don't really hope for whatever I lost interest in to pick up. Cause if it gets better and I wanna dive back in, I'll probably have to refresh myself with hours of waste just to catch up and then it'll simply remind me why I tuned out in the 1st place

But that's just me. Stopped giving a fuck about the Spurs damn near 10 years back and while lots of diehard Spurs fans buddies keep hoping that this season they'll climb back up, im more "bleh" about getting reinvested in them and any playoffs hopes

• Like 1

I don’t remember if anyone here brought this up, but I heard a theory  Vince’s resignation could be partially due to Linda’s being head of the new Committee to Re-Elect The (Last) President and she could be tarnished by association since stuff may have happened under her tenure. 

admittedly, I don’t think anyone voting that way would care about the WWF scandals, past or present. But thought I’d throw it out there.

Edited by odessasteps

52 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I don’t remember if anyone here brought this up, but I heard a theory  Vince’s resignation could be partially due to Linda’s being head of the new Committee to Re-Elect The (Last) President and she could be tarnished by association since stuff may have happened under her tenure. 

admittedly, I don’t think anyone voting that way would care about the WWF scandals, past or present. But thought I’d throw it out there.

Yes, I can't imagine that campaign would want someone around with a whiff of paying off your victims of SH/SA and making them sign NDAs...

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Yes, I can't imagine that campaign would want someone around with a whiff of paying off your victims of SH/SA and making them sign NDAs...

It took me a second to realize that this was sarcasm.

What is it about these guys and their propensity for a) sexual assault, b) secret payoffs, and c) running football leagues directly into the ground? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

What is it about these guys and their propensity for a) sexual assault, b) secret payoffs, and c) running football leagues directly into the ground? 

Daddy issues, mainly. 

• Like 4

On 7/26/2022 at 6:54 PM, Morganti said:

From all accounts, Vince likes good wrestling.  Especially old school stuff.  I could totally see him retiring to his mansion and having the office send him dvds of match compilations.  

I could see him spending his days lifting, watching old wrestling, and generally being a recluse for a bit.  Then maybe popping up as Mr. McMahon at WM 40 in a pretape.

Vince’s story ending with him American Beauty-ing in the garage would be pretty great. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Ditto just about any other media like your GoT or Star Wars or MCU tie ins. Something loses its way, writers suck etc, fuck it I go on and find something else to get absorbed it and don't really hope for whatever I lost interest in to pick up.

I was the same way when Tanya Roberts replaced Shelly Hack on Charlie’s Angels and that was just yesterday on Cozi tv. 

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2022 at 8:57 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

got a feeling Joe Paterno is gonna prove the more apt comparison, but yeah

Whoa! Whoa! Let’s be reasonable.    I hate the wrestling fan base too but they’re not as bad as Penn St. Students!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Longer version:

The problem with that argument is even if Brock tried to legit leave they were able to talk him down and back rather quickly. There was basically no reason for them to go on calling him a quitter. if he actually fucked off for real do people really think they wouldn't have said anything? They did Sasha & Naomi. They did for Punk. They did for Austin. They would have for sure with Brock as well if it had come to it.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Sometimes the obvious answer (the SEC was going to be getting involved over defrauding investors so Vince had to go) is the correct one.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, piranesi said:

Whoa! Whoa! Let’s be reasonable.    I hate the wrestling fan base too but they’re not as bad as Penn St. Students!!!!!!

I can totally see wresting fans doing something like this in front of the guard house to Vince’s estate. 

https://medium.com/ride-the-pine/are-penn-state-fans-really-kneeling-in-prayer-outside-of-paternos-home-2de47a01bc6e

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Also:

• Being uncomfortably attracted their own daughters
  • Being probably one small step up from used car salesmen but desperately wanting to be accepted into the NYC elite/the mainstream/etc
  • Preferring their steaks well done, with ketchup
  • Obsessed with size and strength (of themselves and others)

I mean the list goes on and on.  It's insane how they're both pretty much the same guy.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1