DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Retires

If there’s a Vince 97th birthday party in 2042 with his surviving loyalists that wouldn’t shock me.

If Vince dropped quick ala Bear Bryant dying a month after retirement, that also wouldn’t surprise me.

I wouldn’t definitively say he’s too old to take on some new interest if he can be untangled from how this is ending. But if he’s done, he might just go full cold turkey and spend time in a Florida mansion without ever watching the WWE again.

• Like 1

I p

59 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

But if he’s done, he might just go full cold turkey and spend time in a Florida mansion without ever watching the WWE again.

I picture Vince turning on the TV and seeing a Nakamura-Zayn main event and pitching his TV through the window a la Billy Beane in the Moneyball movie.

Edited by caley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, caley said:

I p

I picture Vince turning on the TV and seeing a Nakamura-Zayn main event and pitching his TV through the window a la Billy Beane in the Moneyball movie.

Haven't the two main evented Smackdown before? He actually likes Sami. He is apparently one of the few guys they say yes to on most requests character/story wise.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 3:09 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Or I could be wrong and HHH books the shows by reusing angles from the late '70s and early '80s almost line for line. 

I rarely read something that makes me so happy/excited and scared/frustrated at the same time as this. The mind boggles...

I can see Mr. McMahon with tissue box slippers, watching IceStationZebra Wrestle Mania 1 over and over again. How many wills will there be? Some indy wrestler should claim he gave VKM a ride while he was hitch-hiking and they find a will in the WWE History Warehouse. I am available to write the fake autobiography, if anyone is interested.

• Haha 4

Just now, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I can see Mr. McMahon with tissue box slippers, watching IceStationZebra Wrestle Mania 1 over and over again. How many wills will there be? Some indy wrestler should claim he gave VKM a ride while he was hitch-hiking and they find a will in the WWE History Warehouse. I am available to write the fake autobiography, if anyone is interested.

But will we get to see Mary Steenbergen naked?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I rarely read something that makes me so happy/excited and scared/frustrated at the same time as this. The mind boggles...

Next year when Cody Rhodes comes back, HHH will recreate the Flair For The Gold angle with Roman Reigns (hopefully with late 70s/early 80s Harley Race facial hair) begging someone to take the money after putting a bounty out on Cody. And it will be so much better than when HHH tried to play the role of Harley Race back in 2003.

also I could see some non-wrestling people trying to hit up Vince for promotional advice and being completely flummoxed by the advice. Like how great athletes can be bad coaches because they just did great things without being able to communicate how less great people could improve.

And Vince's strength in wresting is promotional stuff, but with a way higher success rate in wrestling than anything else (Boxing, Bodybuilding, Football, Jumping Snake River Canyon)

• Like 1

From all accounts, Vince likes good wrestling.  Especially old school stuff.  I could totally see him retiring to his mansion and having the office send him dvds of match compilations.  

I could see him spending his days lifting, watching old wrestling, and generally being a recluse for a bit.  Then maybe popping up as Mr. McMahon at WM 40 in a pretape.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

also I could see some non-wrestling people trying to hit up Vince for promotional advice and being completely flummoxed by the advice. Like how great athletes can be bad coaches because they just did great things without being able to communicate how less great people could improve.

And Vince's strength in wresting is promotional stuff, but with a way higher success rate in wrestling than anything else (Boxing, Bodybuilding, Football, Jumping Snake River Canyon)

If Vince had more than modicum of knowledge about boxing, he could have been more successful than most. This goes especially in that time period. There were way more promoters and more parity as far top notch talent went. Sure you had Top Rank, Don King, and the Duva family outfit at the top. However, pre Ali Act, many big name boxers were managed by their promoter and vice versa. Vince would have been able exploit the shit out of that.  He also had the Trump connection, and many televised shows were held on Trump properties in Atlantic City.

I am not sure why he chose to promote Sugar Ray three and four retirements in and well past his prime. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

just realized that Conrad is gonna have to be told that Vince McMahon isn't interested in hosting a podcast with him

“Then I asked, ‘who the hell hired Raven, pal?!’”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If Vince had more than modicum of knowledge about boxing, he could have been more successful than most. This goes especially in that time period. There were way more promoters and more parity as far top notch talent went. Sure you had Top Rank, Don King, and the Duva family outfit at the top. However, pre Ali Act, many big name boxers were managed by their promoter and vice versa. Vince would have been able exploit the shit out of that.  He also had the Trump connection, and many televised shows were held on Trump properties in Atlantic City.

I am not sure why he chose to promote Sugar Ray three and four retirements in and well past his prime. 

Because Great White Hope Donny Lalonde? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Morganti said:

From all accounts, Vince likes good wrestling.  Especially old school stuff.  I could totally see him retiring to his mansion and having the office send him dvds of match compilations.  

I could see him spending his days lifting, watching old wrestling, and generally being a recluse for a bit.  Then maybe popping up as Mr. McMahon at WM 40 in a pretape.

until the fateful day that he visits Hulk Hogan's restaurant and poaches Jimmy Hart to form a steak wrap restaurant

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Because Great White Hope Donny Lalonde? 

If nobody wants to a promote a particular fight, that's probably a big clue that you shouldn't either and it won't make any money.

That said, in a sport where purse bids are a real thing and happen all the time, I'm surprised that WWE has not found its a way back into boxing. With a purse bid, you don't have actively promote either fighter involved. You just basically need the money (whether it's 50/50 split between the fighters or any percentage between the two fighters) and a TV/PPV partner to broadcast the fight. 

I mean you have a relationship with Fox....why not buy the rights to a Errol Spence mandatory (that will probably will only run you 5 or 6 million cause challengers without a name rarely make anything in a purse bid), put it on Fox PPV, and make a couple million from PPV profit?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

If there’s a Vince 97th birthday party in 2042 with his surviving loyalists that wouldn’t shock me.

If Vince dropped quick ala Bear Bryant dying a month after retirement, that also wouldn’t surprise me.

I wouldn’t definitively say he’s too old to take on some new interest if he can be untangled from how this is ending. But if he’s done, he might just go full cold turkey and spend time in a Florida mansion without ever watching the WWE again.

got a feeling Joe Paterno is gonna prove the more apt comparison, but yeah

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Morganti said:

I wonder if he still considers himself a wrestling fan? Or is he like a chef who used to love food but now its just a buisness?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, evidence said:

Next year when Cody Rhodes comes back, HHH will recreate the Flair For The Gold angle with Roman Reigns (hopefully with late 70s/early 80s Harley Race facial hair) begging someone to take the money after putting a bounty out on Cody. And it will be so much better than when HHH tried to play the role of Harley Race back in 2003.

If this somehow winds up with Otis in a gorilla suit I’m game 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1