DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Retires

11 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

My sources said Brock left and Goldberg was the back up plan, I assume they worked things out, but I am pretty sure it wasn't a work

Goodness. Let's all be thankful we aren't going to see the back up plan.  Great piece on The Ringer by the way! (Top 20 Barbed Wire Matches). Read it last night.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Goodness. Let's all be thankful we aren't going to see the back up plan.  Great piece on The Ringer by the way! (Top 20 Barbed Wire Matches). Read it last night.  

14 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

Thanks bud!

Seconded. Posted it twice on the board for that reason.

31 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That could very well be what happened but now that Lesnar showed up there will be wrestlers themselves calling everyone marksss and Sapp/Bryan are already going at it with trolls.  it's all....weird. 

Internet gonna internet. I would say based on it trending hard on Twitter and the level of intrigue that they probably made the most money they've ever made in reporting in terms of subs. So they're just feeding the trolls cause that's what people do.

9 hours ago, JLowe said:

Good song, and (I think) a glaring omission on my 80's playlist. This needs to be corrected (or at least confirmed) asap.

Also, on the actual subject, I must have been waiting and dreaming of this thing to happen, since the early 2000's. Well, not his retirement, since I didn't think it would happen, certainly not this way, but you know, "retiring" in his sleep due to natural causes. I will take it slowly and not rush back to their programming, until it becomes clear that their audience is shown at least a modicum of respect and appreciation. So, not holding my breath on that one.

• Like 5

2022 in wrestling will go down as a historic year and it's still not over. Here's the year so far. Tried to do chronologically:

• Cody Rhodes leaves AEW for WWE. Huge unexpected development.
  • Katsuyori Shibata has his first match back proper at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16.
  • WWE stupidly fires William Regal. William Regal debuts at AEW Revolution 2022.
  • Cesaro leaves WWE. Claudio Castagnoli is the mystery opponent at AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door for Zack Sabre Jr replacing the injured Bryan Danielson.
  • Shane McMahon gets canned from WWE. Miss timed that, Shane O'Mac.
  • Steve Austin has his first match in 19 years at WrestleMania XXXVIII beating Kevin Owens in the main event.
  • Roman Reigns is the first to hold the WWE Championship and WWE Universal Championship at the same time. Reigns' WWE Universal Championship reign is now 600+ days.
  • The Undertaker goes into the WWE Hall of Fame.
  • Surprisingly the Steiner Brothers do, more so Scott Steiner with what he's said about Triple H and Vince McMahon.
  • RIP Scott Hall.
  • Big E breaks his neck.
  • AEW and NJPW announcement of a joint PPV, AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door.
  • Tony Khan buys Ring of Honour.
  • ROH returns with Supercard of Honour featuring a dream match that delivers, #FTR vs. Briscoe Brothers. *****.
  • Triple H announces his retirement.
  • Looks like Kota Ibushi will be fired by NJPW.
  • Shinjiro Ohtani is paralysed from the neck down during a match for Pro Wrestling Zero1.
  • The Owen Hart Cup Men's and Women's Tournaments for AEW and the Owen Hart Foundation.
  • Sasha Banks and Naomi, the WWE Women's Tag Team Champions walk out of WWE in May and get buried by them more than anyone since Steve Austin's 20 years ago.
  • Stephanie McMahon takes a leave of absence from WWE.
  • The first major WWE PPV in the UK for 30 years, Clash at the Castle hasn't sold the expected amount of tickets, way too expensive.
  • MJF no-shows a meet and greet the day before AEW Double or Nothing and we don't know if he'll show for his match with Wardlow. MJF appears doing the job.
  • CM Punk wins the AEW World Championship from Adam Page at AEW Double or Nothing. Five days later on a live AEW Rampage announces he needs surgery. There's confusing mixed messaging whether Punk's vacating or not.
  • Instead there's a Battle Royal on next week's Dynamite where the winner will face Jon Moxley in the main event. The winner, John Moxley faced Hiroshi Tanahashi who beat Hirooki Goto at NJPW Dominion to qualify for the AEW Interim World Championship, AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door. Mox won.
  • Cody Rhodes tears his right pectoral muscle off the bone the week of Hell in a Cell. Rhodes still wrestles Seth Rollins inside HITC. Rhodes' chest and arm is so badly bruised. A display of toughness by the American Nightmare.
  • Jeff Hardy gets another DUI, nearly 4 times over the legal limit. Jeff Hardy is suspended without pay and can only return upon completing successful treatment and maintain sobriety.
  • Vince McMahon alleged to pay hush money, $3 million to his mistress. 
  • A real injury bug in WWE/AEW/NJPW - Cody Rhodes, Randy Orton, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, Tomohiro Ishii and Santana.
  • AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door is the best top to bottom wrestling show this year.
  • Vince McMahon announces he'll retire in a tweet as WWE Chairman and CEO. Stephanie McMahon and Nick Khan take over. Brock Lesnar walked out on Smackdown Live, the first WWE show since Vince's tweet.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, The Natural said:

2022 in wrestling will go down as a historic year and it's still not over. Here's the year so far. Tried to do chronologically:

• Shinjiro Ohtani is paralysed from the neck down during a match for Pro Wrestling Zero1.

Wait, what?! ?

Everyone here has been watching wrestling long enough and smart enough to the business to recognize a person booking pattern. If you don't see any changes in the booking pattern of the TV in the next few weeks especially following SummerSlam then Vince is still running stuff from home. You'd be crazy to expect Vince to just go home and just shut the company out of his brain. I do expect more stuff to come out and that being the reason he's "retiring". Knowing what we hear about him hating to admit defeat then it's not a good sign that he "retired" on his own volition in terms of what he expects to come out. It's one thing for him to step down temporarily till stuff calms down, it's another to publicly bow out as the figurehead forever. Let's say nothing else comes out, I could easily see him getting back in the formal role of CEO because nobody retires from wrestling  lol.

If Vince is still running everything from home ,that is going to be a nerve-wracking process for who ever are the intermediates. As much as people have been joking for a few years now about how senile Vince is, The business has passed him by years and years ago but I don't see him going like "F**k it" "you guys run it"

• Like 1

I give it two years before Disney buys the WWE. They will realize significant efficiencies in the deal as they can share the same mindless mass content creation algorithm that they’ve wired up to Star Wars and Marvel

In the meantime, I am sure Triple H and Khan (but doubt Stephanie) would entertain the idea of working with other promotions. That’s exciting.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I give it two years before Disney buys the WWE. They will realize significant efficiencies in the deal as they can share the same mindless mass content creation algorithm that they’ve wired up to Star Wars and Marvel

In the meantime, I am sure Triple H and Khan (but doubt Stephanie) would entertain the idea of working with other promotions. That’s exciting.

It won’t be Disney, either NBC Universal (Comcast) or FOX (NewsCorp) will buy them, they could even do something with one corp owning a majority interest and the other a minority interest. 

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Everyone here has been watching wrestling long enough and smart enough to the business to recognize a person booking pattern. If you don't see any changes in the booking pattern of the TV in the next few weeks especially following SummerSlam then Vince is still running stuff from home. You'd be crazy to expect Vince to just go home and just shut the company out of his brain. I do expect more stuff to come out and that being the reason he's "retiring". Knowing what we hear about him hating to admit defeat then it's not a good sign that he "retired" on his own volition in terms of what he expects to come out. It's one thing for him to step down temporarily till stuff calms down, it's another to publicly bow out as the figurehead forever. Let's say nothing else comes out, I could easily see him getting back in the formal role of CEO because nobody retires from wrestling  lol.

If Vince is still running everything from home ,that is going to be a nerve-wracking process for who ever are the intermediates. As much as people have been joking for a few years now about how senile Vince is, The business has passed him by years and years ago but I don't see him going like "F**k it" "you guys run it"

I'm just imagining Stephanie in a meeting with Vince yelling in her earpiece telling her what to say a la Michael Cole on commentary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

My argument in the "Brock actually did leave but got more money" is that while Vince might be able to work some of the sheets with a story,  the fact that almost all of the sheets except WWE fanboys like JobberNation or Garreth or Satin believe the story makes me believe.  I can't remember the last time Vince literally fooled all of them 

10 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Maybe Brock did leave for real. He left and got a nice steak dinner and then came back. 

I know this is just an eye roll kind of deal dunking on it not being news. But talent aren't allowed to leave the building to get a steak. So even if that's all Brock did, he'd be breaking the rules.

Call time is something like 11am. You're expected at the building by then and required to stay on the premises. If you leave for any reason you're gonna get your ass chewed out for it. The big names like Brock all have a comfy tour bus parked at TV so he has his own mini house to chill in. But he's not gonna be leaving unless he's actually leaving.

• Like 1

Oof, my "finish up work and try not to look at the internet after 6 PM on weekdays" rule really leads to missing big news sometimes.

Anyway...doesn't feel real. I didn't express it, but I was in the camp who thought Vince would pass away before he retired. I also have a somewhat nervous feeling that we do not escape 2022 without seeing a "Vince McMahon spotted backstage at [insert location of WWE event here]" headline somewhere. Maybe multiple times. 

I'd love it if WWE's product underwent some changes, especially to the direction of the shows (I am also among those who stopped watching because I find the constant camera cuts make the shows unwatchable and do a disservice to the skills of the wrestlers, making their matches hard to visually follow). But, I am something of a pessimist when it comes to American corporate culture. I wonder if we see the status quo mostly maintained, simply because nobody will want to stick their neck out on a new idea and risk being wrong when simply collecting a paycheck to keep things as they are is the safer option.

• Like 1

Curious how ppl who believe, like me, that Vince McMahon is an awful human continue to support this product? I don't mean the unconscious cult that cheer 'Thank You Vince' at TV and events, but rather those with a modicum of awareness.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Curious how ppl who believe, like me, that Vince McMahon is an awful human continue to support this product? I don't mean the unconscious cult that cheer 'Thank You Vince' at TV and events, but rather those with a modicum of awareness.

I'm not part of that group, but I'd bet one of two things: pure habit, or the wrestlers themselves. For example, I haven't watched WWE regularly in years at this point, but I myself have had the thought of "Man, I really miss seeing Cesaro/Asuka/Owens/Zayn etc." from time to time.

• Like 3