DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/20/2022!

DEAN

49 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Respect to Chris Jericho and Eddie Kingston putting themselves through that. I felt it was too rushed and the wrong guy won. It reminded me of the effort Kenny Omega and Jon Moxley went through in their exploding barbed wire death match at Revolution 2021 which was overshadowed by shit explosions.

I almost mentioned in my post-show comments that it looked like Jericho had a broken nose. Guess now we know he did, and how it happened.

Anything from Eddie yet on his hand?

Late to the thread here but just want to say that I thought Darby vs King was the best tv match I've seen in ages. These guys should be fighting for the belt in a year. Reminded me of Kawada vs Gary which is about the highest compliment anyone can pay a men's singles match. Hard to watch at times as it was clear Darby was pretty badly fucked up early on (I thought my dog was snoring but it was actually Darby's vacuum cleaner lung), but they could go twice as long with less dangerous stuff in a rematch just by focusing more on Darby's wild strikes and setting up more submissions (like the weird sitting-on-your-head stretch he straight up stole from Deeb's match last week). I just really loved it. Both guys are awesome. 

Only other thought is despite my constant ragging on Hangman, it's kind of shocking how far he's dropped since losing the title. Was his goofy out of character outfit last week his way of saying "I have stopped caring"? I like the idea of his name lending credibility to the Dark Order but jeez then let's have him and John Silver start chasing the tag titles or something. 

• Like 4

It took me until today to finish this show because I haven’t had a lot of free time, but I’ve also really gotten into staring at the international space station’s feed of Earth.

Anyway, there are plenty of wrestlers in AEW that have been given huge opportunities this year and crushed it, but Darby Allin has been drifting through feuds that he mostly loses and he still treats every match like an opportunity and kills it every goddam time. I can’t recall a straight up bad Darby match. 

All I’ll say about the main is that good looking spinning strikes are difficult to pull off under the best circumstances, so I’m not sure why they thought doing them in such an overfucked match would work out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Only other thought is despite my constant ragging on Hangman, it's kind of shocking how far he's dropped since losing the title. Was his goofy out of character outfit last week his way of saying "I have stopped caring"? I like the idea of his name lending credibility to the Dark Order but jeez then let's have him and John Silver start chasing the tag titles or something. 

I had a similar thought, but I'm wondering if we're setting up something with regard to the (more than) rumored Trios title. Something like: Bucks continue trying and failing to recruit Hangman back into the fold to go after the titles, but Hangman wants to chase them with Silver/Reynolds, so they have to put a call in to Kenny - now you can go down the road of revisiting Hangman/Kenny's big story by doing Hangman/Silver/Reynolds vs Kenny/Bucks, while in parallel, teeing things up for Kenny/Bucks vs Cole/Fish/O'Rly.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Strange, I much prefer Hangman without the title. Randomly having top shelf bouts with David Finlay and Silas Young. I also dug his 'sports entertaining' with Silver in the Royal Rampage. In general I like how he's sorta free to go in any direction for a little while. I don't quite get 'shocking how far he's dropped'? Seems to me he could walk out on Dynamite and challenge Moxley for the next PPV and it would make sense and be an exciting bout to look forward to.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

He was having a drink wasn't he?

On 7/22/2022 at 7:38 AM, Pedro said:

Absolutely, I'm good friends with Matt, Sam, and their dad Dan.   Also know that you my friend were also a product of IWC. The shows they put on from 2002-2007 were some of the best in the US.  People who haven't seen them should go out of their way to check them out. 

Paintedbynumbers, is that you??  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

very disappointed in the barbed wire match, even this many days later. some good stuff early on (i loved the wire-wrapped microphone and ring bell! and that Jericho got busted open immediately). but what a clusterfuck of an overbooked finish. would have preferred Eddie won, obviously, but this wasn't one of those "he absolutely needs this win" moments so i am ok with Jericho going over. but Tay running in, then the JAS escaping their cage, AND Sammy interfering? it was way too much. was pretty psyched for the match and all that just killed my interest dead.

• Like 1

Throw my name on the list of people ticked off that Eddie didnt win the barbed wire match. I love Dave but his logic that "if Jericho is going to feud with Danielson he needed to win"...yeah no. Jericho could lose to every name guy in AEW and still be over for being Jericho, and feuding with Danielson isn't like a title shot where he needs a stellar win-loss record to justify going in there. Not to mention JAS got the win and anarchy in the arena and Eddie fell short of tapping out Jericho a 2nd time at Blood and Guts.

I'm assuming we go to Eddie vs Sammy from here with Eddy going over which I think hurts Sammy more than it helps Eddie, especially since Sammy has been plummeting down the ladder ever since the fans turned him heel. I don't really get it. There's gotta be a long-game way to eventually turn Sammy and Conti babyface again or at least if they're going to stay heel, move them up the card real quick. Moxley vs Sammy and Rosa vs Conti both sound pretty fresh and potentially good. Unless TK has just given up on the whole Four Pillars idea now that Wardlow has proven to be the big commidty. Sammy's TNT title run didn't pan out for reasons that were largely avoidable and Darby has seemingly nothing planned for him other than to be enhancement talent. 

• Like 1

I’m probably in the minority but I feel like there’s way too much Kingston on the show and he’s generally involved with the worst stuff (deathmatchs with underwhelming endings).  I guess the crowds respond to him, do you can’t blame TK, but, yeah, I’m not seeing whet the rest of you see.

I liked King during the BLKOut days and the prolonged CZW feud with Hero, but that was fifteen years ago.  Not sure I want to see a Sammy-Kingston feud and I definitely don’t think Kingston should win said feud.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, BrianS81177 said:

Only if Eddie cuts a promo where he says "THE EYE JERICHO!!! THE EYE!!!"

Even better -- Jericho walks in wearing that Painmaker garbage and Eddie says "Don't you realize there's nobody here... YOU JACKASS!"

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2022 at 5:40 PM, The Natural said:

FX-EN5pUUAASjOk?format=png&name=small

FX-EOgkVQAACM37?format=png&name=small

So, somebody was there during this interview with a Chris Jerichoesque List and going "umh-huh...microphone...ok... weapons...uh-huh...spider....spider?....yeah, spiderweb, I need to google that but ok..." and making Eddie's wishes come true like some twisted Santa Claus (to steal a phrase from Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zendragon said:

I wonder if all the interference leads to Eddie v. jericho in a cage 

I figured something similar. I counted that Chris is now up 3 to 2 overall in this feud with both guys also having indirect victories over each other due to their teams winning. But considering the violence level in pervious gimmick matches, wouldn't a conventional cage match seem a bit tame in comparison (only from hype/ promotion POV, since I'm sure they would make it work match-wise)?

Otherwise, this was a night of unsure alliances, as Miro did come to stare down House of Black, but did nothing to actually help Darby or Sting. Luchasaurus didn't attack Jungle Boy, didn't try to stop him, but didn't start to chase Cage either along with JB. Anna Jay DID choose Tay over Ruby, but given what they've been through together, that makes perfect sense.

They need to reschedule the women's trios match asap, so Statlander can get in on this!

Eddie made sure not to be made a liar again, and Jericho was bleeding like 5 seconds in and he also bit Jericho's bleeding forehead pretty soon after that, so tasting the blood of a coward was off the checklist as well.

BCC vs BFs was really good due to Yuta-Trent-Chuck friendship triangle and Mox now giving Yuta the back-up and respect he used to get from Chuck and NEVER got from Trent! Great story-dynamic, very good wrestling action. Yuta with momentum, but he also took a horrible beating right before a big PPV title match.

Shame about the celebration cake, it looked rather tasty on Sterling's face (well, not particularly when it was ON his face, but then you got a better look at its texture and it looked like it would have been tasty, if not already ruined by, what, three people?). I guess I should have said: That cake on Sterling's face looked rather tasty, instead?

Brody King vs Darby was killer. Pun F'N intended! Jesus Christ that Ganzo (Gonzo?) Bomb!

Starks vs Karter was good, both were showcased nicely. So, this Danhausen business is going to lead to Hook bailing him out and probably becoming the FTW champion in the process (or soon after), right? This would free Starks up for something more.

Yeah, great episode. Later today, it will be drinks and Death Before Dishonor 2022! Right now, it's coffee and Rampage!

...and by the level of his "warm-up" for the Battle, I'd have to consider Austin Gunn only mid-level rapper, at best. And that's being nice. We're talking ersatz Uncle Kracka here, maybe Brian Austin Green, if he's lucky!

Edited by Shartnado
Austin Gunn may not be a rap superstar, btw...
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 3:24 PM, Technico Support said:

If it's hurt, he'd better rest it.  I've heard you need to take time with a wounded hand.

If you put on a cast, I'm sure you could work through it, but I'd imagine you'd be wearing that cast for a bit longer in that case. And there's a chance of re-aggravating the injury every time out and that could lead to a sort of vicious cycle, but the odds of that happening are rather slim, right?

On 7/24/2022 at 5:06 AM, Peck said:

Paintedbynumbers, is that you??  ?

I figured this out since, Pedro informed the Network Conversation thread about the next classic drop and besides maybe Rippa, nobody else ever did that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I figured something similar. I counted that Chris is now up 3 to 2 overall in this feud with both guys also having indirect victories over each other due to their teams winning. But considering the violence level in pervious gimmick matches, wouldn't a conventional cage match seem a bit tame in comparison (only from hype/ promotion POV, since I'm sure they would make it work match-wise)?

Britt Baker v. Thunder Rosa started in a lights out match and ended in a cage match. Plus the Bucks dropped the titles in a cage match to prevent interference so we have precedent 

• Like 2