DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/20/2022!

DEAN

Really?

Dax cuts a heart-felt promo about his daughter surviving a life-threatening heart condition, and they release a t-shirt with 100 % of royalties going to the American Heart Association, and that's "corny" and "cringe"?

Fucks sake. 

Think it's time for me to take a short break before I start saying stuff I regret.. I'll be back on the 31st for the start of Secret Santo ?

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Echoing the love for Brody/Darby. Darby's bumping makes anyone look like a killer a la 90s Mick Foley, but Brody has been filling the role of actual killer quite nicely lately. That Ganso from Asbury Park finisher Brody uses is so sick when guys aren't afraid to cut it close which Darby obviously isn't. I'm ready for face Miro and I wouldn't mind if a team with Darby lasted beyond the feud with HOB.

The main was fine, but they went too heavy on the smoke and mirrors when Jericho and Eddie were holding their own with the violence. The finish was rushed as per usual which led to the barbed wire Judas Effect getting virtually no-sold, but I think Eddie's uraken to Sammy missing by a mile was even worse.

• Like 1

JOHN TENTA APPERCIATION WEEK!!!

They put cool hand ange in the shark cage! He's not a shark he's a man! Jericho remembers the old saying "what the hell! use the bell!"  both these guys are trying to be middle aged and crazy terry funk!

And I think you guys have the finish all wrong. Sure Jericho got the pinfall, he won the battle, but Kingston won the war. It wasn't about wins and losses with him it was about hurting Jericho making him bleed. And He got that, he threw him into the barbwire spiderweb to end the show for Lemmy's sake!

Dax pulling a Dusty Rhodes promo in Atlanta!

Opener was real fun but the rest of the show didn't do a lot for me 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Really?

Dax cuts a heart-felt promo about his daughter surviving a life-threatening heart condition, and they release a t-shirt with 100 % of royalties going to the American Heart Association, and that's "corny" and "cringe"?

Fucks sake. 

Think it's time for me to take a short break before I start saying stuff I regret.. I'll be back on the 31st for the start of Secret Santo ?

Casey was being facetious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Here's the mistake in the math, this isn't 1998. It's 1988. The title is resigned to the tippy tippy top of the top in AEW. I know a lot of people would like to see a World Title run for Kingston. And a lot of people fantasy book it and expect it. But it isn't going to happen. There was no Foley late 80s run for anyone. It was Hogan & Savage & Warrior. With a mini Andre thing in there.

Punk, Jericho, Mox, Hangman, Omega. I don't see it being in the cards for Kingston.

That's not me saying I'm opposed to it. If we get it I'll enjoy it and it will probably be a great moment. But I just don't see the timing lining up for it to be remotely possible.

Maybe he gets the Tommy Rich / Ron Garvin run? (handled better)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

Maybe he gets the Tommy Rich / Ron Garvin run? (handled better)

I know a lot of stuff from this period didn't age well, but if it has to be a quick reign for whatever reason (for example, adhering to whatever is was already planned) I think a good way to do it would be something like Dreamer's ECW title reign, where someone preys on his unwillingness to back down from a fight right after he wins it. Whether it happens the same night or not could be changed, he could pick up an "injury" during the match if you wanted to stretch it to a week or month and have a good excuse for losing, maybe something more akin to the aforementioned Foley WWF title reign.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

Cole Karter comes from IWC in Pittsburgh, Same company that turned out Elias, Brit Baker, and Wardlow to name a few. 

I would also count Sterling James Keenan (Corey Graves) as one of our homegrown success stories from IWC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I know a lot of stuff from this period didn't age well, but if it has to be a quick reign for whatever reason (for example, adhering to whatever is was already planned) I think a good way to do it would be something like Dreamer's ECW title reign, where someone preys on his unwillingness to back down from a fight right after he wins it. Whether it happens the same night or not could be changed, he could pick up an "injury" during the match if you wanted to stretch it to a week or month and have a good excuse for losing, maybe something more akin to the aforementioned Foley WWF title reign.

I've always felt exactly this. Much like Tommy Dreamer Eddie Kingston is a consummate underdog, if he won then went on an 8 month Hogan like tear it would rob him of his Eddie Kingstonness. Eddie needs a big win here and there so he a threat not a lovable loser but not to many big wins (which is why I think the finish to the barbwire match was perfect, Sure Eddie lost but he got his pound of flesh and then some in the process). I don't know what the status of MJF really is but if Maxwell could somehow fuck Eddie out of his big moment? Nuclear heat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

Really?

Fucks sake. 

Right there - I loved the entire promo from FTR; and the t-shirt is an incredible idea. It was some babyface red meat gold promo stuff.  It was a clear highlight and made me want to see the match. Talking folks into the building is still the goal...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am catching up on what I missed. Did Alvarez or someone else really say they hate the Swerve In Their Glory segment? Because an abrasive heel manager sticking his nose in someone’s celebration and ending up getting a cake thrown in their face is why pro wrestling exists. I don’t even really like Swerve In Their Glory all that much but that was quality. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I didn't see a problem with any of the promo segments. They were good old southern wrasslin cheese. The new tag champs should be on tv in some capacity since their win got no time to breathe against the end of the show last week, and Swerve and Sterling teamed up for one of the best cake shots ever. You wouldn't want SIOG doing this every week, but as one-off breather between their title win and their first feud as champs, it was well-executed filler.

• Like 2

You know I'd be fine with Sterling getting another stooge to team with Nese for a quick hype/defeat for Strick/Lee to gain some momentum. Bring up someone off the Dark circuit, Rohit Raju? Transfer the contract of Jora Johl from the Andrade Office?

Edited by porksweats
fixed typo
  • Like 3

I've seen a few people comment that "well you see Kingston didn't want to win" or "he tossed him into the wire afterwards" or "it's long term booking" but I'm a simple man: if the reaction of many if not most afterwards was "that was dumb/sucked/whatever" then it didn't work. It's not like this was something those watching were primed to hate heading in, if that's the dominant reaction fro your audience then I think it is very fair to say something went wrong or it was a poor idea.

He wanted to make Jericho submit again. Then the shenanigans happened. I had little problem with the layout of the match, but the execution of the post-match stuff was bad obviously.

52 minutes ago, porksweats said:

You know I'd be fine with Sterling getting another stooge to team with Nese for a quick hype/defeat for Strick/Lee to gain some momentum. Bring up someone off the Dark circuit, Rohit Raju? Transfer the contract of Jora Johl from the Andrade Office?

I am a proponent of the idea someone floated of nese and comorato as power & glory '22.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I am catching up on what I missed. Did Alvarez or someone else really say they hate the Swerve In Their Glory segment? Because an abrasive heel manager sticking his nose in someone’s celebration and ending up getting a cake thrown in their face is why pro wrestling exists. I don’t even really like Swerve In Their Glory all that much but that was quality. 

Giving time to Kevin Gates is kind of gross, but it’s whatever. I’m not going to go into the why of it (because it’s gross) - anyone wondering should just Google the man himself, but he’s done and said some very questionable things (even recently).

Other than that, I didn’t have a problem with the segment.

I don't think Luchasaurus has turned face again either FWIW.

I can't see them changing his gear and entrance for a two week thing. I think Christian forces him to attack Jungle Boy next week, and the focus becomes whatever Christian has over him, which seems silly but yeah, not quite as silly as the back-to-face turn

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jiji said:

Dax is so cringe to me. My friend was watching live and I was about 30 minutes behind. He said you'll never guess what Dax talked about. "His wife and daughter, being the best team ever, and love of this business?" "Pretty much."

So corny. Hard pass. I get that it's obviously working but it's not for me. I'm really down on them with the over the top praise they get. 

You say it's not for you, but to say it's "so corny" when a guy is opening up like that. C'mon, man.

15 hours ago, Log said:

It sounds like he just found out his daughter is in the clear from a serious heart condition, so I'll give him a fucking pass for being "corny".

11 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Really?

Fucks sake. 

@Log and @Gordlow put it better than me. Cheers.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1