DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/20/2022!

DEAN

Watched most of the card again, especially because I missed the Darby match, and what a hell of a show. That was probably the best match alone. Put Darby versus anybody who can ragdoll him, say a WALTER, and you've got a recipe for greatness. Then the tag match had to come to par with it and succeeded extremely well. (Not only that, but someone had a fucking GAUZE SHIRT ON IN THE THIRD ROW and I lost my shit.) The middle of the show had all the wonderful BS with the cake and the excellent women's match, then the main was a total Puerto Rican match. The BS in that lost me the first time but this time felt better because I paid more attention and the nastiness was more apparent, plus the simplicity. Excellent, excellent stuff.

EDIT: 

Spoiler

m_622a9321bcbb52ce5ade1e41.jpg

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

I wonder if the main event could have benefited from being basically a barbwire version of the Mimosa Mayhem Match. Have pins and submissions but also have being thrown in the spiderweb as a potential finish. This way Kingston still doesn't pin or submit Jericho but you have the spiderweb spot and probably a better crowd reaction.

From a storytelling perspective you established Kingston doesn't care about getting the decision(Blood and Guts) and also just wanted to make Jericho bleed(Barbwire Everywhere), so I'm not sure what Kingston's motivation for future matches is? Really outside of a Loser Leaves Town match seems about it.

• Like 1

Holy shit. I love it when wrestling gives me that feeling of "this is the damnedest thing I've ever seen." Brody vs Darby was one of the damnedest things I've ever seen. Legit, Brody straight up being a "D&D Murder Hobo" is starting to be one of my favorite things in wrestling. He wrestles like I play D&D. "Ok, can I pick up this horse and then use it as a weapon?" Not going to lie, I think I spent most of that match fearing for Darby's life, but I also enjoyed the hell out of it. And while I get JFC's concern for Darby, I do enjoy Darby's story arcs of getting his ass beat, getting closer to a win and fucking up and losing, and then finally getting a win. If Darby is AEW's Sting, then Brody is his Vader.

BEST FRIENDS IN A TAG MATCH! FUCK YEAH! That tag match rocked too. Loved Chucky finally being like, ok, fuck Wheeler.

This petition from Sterling is some dumb as fuck WWE shit. My thought on this is the same as Alvarez's in that it's stupid as hell. He has a petition to kick Swerve out for eliminating people in a battle royal?

FTR's promo was the shit. Jiji shitting on it is some buffoonery that I cannot sanction. FTR are the best babyfaces in all of wrestling. Fuck you if you disagree.

Main event was good and brutal until the rushed finish. People need to chill the fuck out whenever Kingston loses. Eddie is one of a handful of guys that are bulletproof in wrestling. Not to mention he went over Jericho clean as a sheet and his team won B&G. I want Eddie to win a world title at some point too, but if he beats Jericho last night, it's not like he's going to be instantly in the picture for the world title.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

I wonder if the main event could have benefited from being basically a barbwire version of the Mimosa Mayhem Match. Have pins and submissions but also have being thrown in the spiderweb as a potential finish. This way Kingston still doesn't pin or submit Jericho but you have the spiderweb spot and probably a better crowd reaction.

I think the match benefitted from having a pinfall and potential for a submission. Matches ending with somebody landing in something always feels like a booking-out for somebody taking a loss. It also plays like WWE logic as booked by TNA. Further, what's the worry about Kingston eating a pin following a 2 on 1 attack? Does it expose him as a bad strategist for not having more friends involved? As you pointed out the idea here was Kingston didn't care about the pin/win, he cared about injuring Jericho. 'Lionheart' was apparently stretchered after the show ended. I wonder if this were seen (which it likely will be in the days to come) if there would be as much resistance to the finish? Tho, seemed pretty clear by show's close, at least to my eyes, that Jericho won the battle but Kingston won the war. Now we logically move to Bryan Danielson returning to face Jericho and Kingston hunting down Guevera.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AxB said:

The thing about Shark Cages is, they are built to keep Sharks OUT, not to keep people IN.

In fact, being able to squeeze through the bars in a hurry might be pretty useful, if there's like a shark chasing you or something.

If a normal-size human or a big guy like Jake Hager can get out by squeezing (or not; it looked like you could step normally between the bars), then there are quite a few sizes and species of sharks that can get in.  Most sharks are smaller than Jaws.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That may have been the best cake deal in all of wrestling, unless someone has a specific Cornette memory. 

The dude I've never heard of against Ricky was one stiff bastard, by the way. This show was STIFF. 

Cole Karter comes from IWC in Pittsburgh, Same company that turned out Elias, Brit Baker, and Wardlow to name a few. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

Dax is so cringe to me. My friend was watching live and I was about 30 minutes behind. He said you'll never guess what Dax talked about. "His wife and daughter, being the best team ever, and love of this business?" "Pretty much."

So corny. Hard pass. I get that it's obviously working but it's not for me. I'm really down on them with the over the top praise they get. 

It sounds like he just found out his daughter is in the clear from a serious heart condition, so I'll give him a fucking pass for being "corny".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Log said:

It sounds like he just found out his daughter is in the clear from a serious heart condition, so I'll give him a fucking pass for being "corny".

lol, he's been using his wife and daughter for about a year now. I also wouldn't use my child's health to get babyface pops but that's just me.

Then again, I'm a bitch, I'm the bitch, I'm a bitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Re: FTR's corniness, I've seen far too many people in Mid-Atlantic indies play the JCP Greatest Hits to ever really consider them to be anything other than a good cover band. Now they're playing the humble "aw, shucks" tough babyfaces in the vein of Magnum T.A. in Mid-South, and I half expect one of them to start throwing a belly-to-belly suplex. I hope they come up with their own material some day. Maybe they'd be good at that.

With that said, if what Dax said about his daughter is true, I'm sorry his family has gone through that and I'm glad she's healthy.

13 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Kingston is 40 and feels like he's got one real shot at being elevated into main event status and winning the title.

Hes 1998 Mick Foley to me. He gets 12-18 months at the top, MAX, and time is running out.

Darby is 29. Hes got plenty of time and will have plenty of great/bad booking over the next... however many years his body has left.

Here's the mistake in the math, this isn't 1998. It's 1988. The title is resigned to the tippy tippy top of the top in AEW. I know a lot of people would like to see a World Title run for Kingston. And a lot of people fantasy book it and expect it. But it isn't going to happen. There was no Foley late 80s run for anyone. It was Hogan & Savage & Warrior. With a mini Andre thing in there.

Punk, Jericho, Mox, Hangman, Omega. I don't see it being in the cards for Kingston.

That's not me saying I'm opposed to it. If we get it I'll enjoy it and it will probably be a great moment. But I just don't see the timing lining up for it to be remotely possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the moment of Kingston winning the title is something AEW/Tony K will want in their history.

I understand that Kingston could work for 5-10 years like this but I agree that his lifespan at the absolute top of the card is going to be very short lived. It didn't make sense to me that Jericho would win this match. If the story was supposed to be that Eddie just wanted to make Jericho bleed buckets and didn't care about winning then they didn't sell that very well during the match.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

If they are going to multiple babyfaces vs tayjay, who do they put with ruby who's not already tied in an angle?  Skye Blue?

I like Skye Blue because I would like to see her elevated more.

My wild idea, if she's recovered from her injury, is Bunny. Ruby, rather than looking for help from a face, decides that what she needs is someone crazy, vicious, and hates TayJay. Hell, play up the mercenary aspect for added explanation.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I like Skye Blue because I would like to see her elevated more.

My wild idea, if she's recovered from her injury, is Bunny. Ruby, rather than looking for help from a face, decides that what she needs is someone crazy, vicious, and hates TayJay. Hell, play up the mercenary aspect for added explanation.

That is an incredible idea. Especially when you pair it with Butcher/Blade's beatdown of Jay's Dark Order cohorts Reynolds & Silver

• Like 3

Today while doing fieldwork we had to cross a very high barbed wire fence to go back and forth to the truck (for cold water); either climb up about 4 feet and over, or belly crawl under. Obviously, I was thinking about yesterday when I was slithering under and started getting my safety vest hooked. Then later one of my co-workers joked they were just going to run really hard and try to bust through, which was when I told them that I had watched a barbed wire wrestling match the night before.

There are also electric fences there, so almost like an exploding ropes match.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, porksweats said:

That is an incredible idea. Especially when you pair it with Butcher/Blade's beatdown of Jay's Dark Order cohorts Reynolds & Silver

Ohhh and then we can start to pull Eddie out of Jericho's orbit and into Andrade's...

• Like 1