DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/20/2022!

DEAN

Dax is so cringe to me. My friend was watching live and I was about 30 minutes behind. He said you'll never guess what Dax talked about. "His wife and daughter, being the best team ever, and love of this business?" "Pretty much."

So corny. Hard pass. I get that it's obviously working but it's not for me. I'm really down on them with the over the top praise they get. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

The women’s tag was good but the booking is awful.  Are we sure Statlander, Athena, and Willow are the babyfaces here?  Because the booking is backwards.  They’ve looked like ineffective losers two weeks in a row while the heel champion and her friends dominate them in fair fights.  I feel like TK has no idea what to do with Jade until her eventual face turn, because “dominant heel champion with a one note personality (she’s really mad, guys) who beats all the faces fair and square” is ridiculous.

• Like 2

My biggest issue by far with AEW is time management with matches either going too long, too short, not staying with the post match long enough to let things sink in and matches getting rushed. It's still a bloody issue. It's why I once said Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson and Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson I were right to go on first to avoid it but that's the thing, it shouldn't be that way yet here we are.

• Like 1

I want an isolated camera if them trying to grease up daddy magic's head so he can get his melon out of the shark cage bars.  

I really want starks and Hobbs to be the ones to take the belts of Strickland and Lee.

If they are going to multiple babyfaces vs tayjay, who do they put with ruby who's not already tied in an angle?  Skye Blue?

I really feel like Eddie should have gone over here.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  I'm assuming they are going to mirror the Darby/King dynamic with Miro and Buddy Matthews, since Buddy Matthews is the House of Black bumpfreak who makes anyone he's wrestling look amazing because of how he takes offensive moves.  My new favorite thing is Allin selling chops and forearms by flying out of the ring.  This match was a match to cement Brodie King as an asskicker- which is waaaay better than what they established in ROH with King- "He's a really big luchadore."  King is now a brutalizer as opposed to a highflying big guy.  It's a way better presentation.  Man, that cannonball into the corner with Allin on his back is so fucking gnarley.  I'm guessing Miro does the Allin/King with Matthews, then has a fucking Mega Hoss Battle with King and then they figure out a way to have Miro/Black while also working towards Sting/Black?  Oh this will be fun.  That All Atlantic tournament was awesome to set up ALL THIS.  The story behind Wheeler Yuta leaving the Best Friends and becoming a rising star in the Blackpool Combat Club really translates to heat with the Duluth crowd.  Lord Regal refers to Cassidy as a Scruffy Swine!  Excallibur says the word "detente" all fauncy.  I love how Jon Moxley assumes the role of Yuta's older brother, meeting Trent at the playground at 3:15 for fucking with his younger brother, pulling up in his purple Challenger in a cut off t-shirt.  I LOVE where Chuck tries to restrain Trent and Wheeler just fucking NAILS him with a forearm, making Chuck Taylor turn on Wheeler Yuta.  THAT'S great storytelling.  This match is fucking great with stories that reach back a ways to pay off with Jon Moxley making a hot tag and sealing the turn on the Best Friends by Yuta.  Just GREAT GREAT stuff.  Mox is fucking great on the apron, a panther in a cage being teased by delicious 9 year olds.  Man, that has to be one of the top ten all-time hot tags- especially Mox going after Chuck Taylor and throwing him over a table.  Mox is such a great brawler.  He is more Terry Funk than Stan Hansen, in that sense.  Actually, Stan Hansen would fight like that but he couldn't bring the empathy of trying to protect his young protegee like Mox does.  I could see Funk pulling it off but I would assume Funk would be the one selling the ass beating.  Mox is singular in his role he has created in this match.  So fucking good.  I also love that the only reason Orange Cassidy is at the commentating table is to get over that Yuta beat Taylor with a move Taylor taught him.  Mox as ass stomping older brother is SO great.  I was explaining to my long-suffering wife last night that I have been watching pro wrestling for 53 years now- and I have NEVER seen a cake survive an episode of wrestling.  I have not seen a cake even get cut on an episode of wrestling.  I then explained for 45 minutes how cakes and trophies in wrestling are a time tested staples of... hey! hey!  Come back here!  Smart Mark Sterling is quite the new Bobby Heenan, though he hasn't developed the level of paranoia that Heenan mastered.  He needs to bleed five buckets of blood to REALLY be the new Heenan, since he will already bump like a freak.  Sterling keeps 90% of the cake applied to his face, which is top notch manager shit right there.  Luchasaurus can't turn face now.  He has transitioned from Brodie King in ROH- HE'S A HIGHFLYING BIG GUY!- to Brodie King in AEW, via channeling Lance Archer.  That would be a giant step back.  I just noticed that Austin Gunn has a giant Rooster Cogburn tattoo.  Austin Gunn is awesome.  He IS your redneck cousin you have to suffer through every Thanksgiving.  ROH needs to crank up the TV show already so Cole Karter can have an initial heel run already.  Yes, Ricky Starks IS the Rock.  The FTW title is weird, especially on Ricky Starks.  It was originally like the World Brass Knuckles Championship that they used to have in the territories- where you wanted a belt to be fought over by the complete psychos on the roster.  Ricky Starks is the most un-psycho wrestler on the AEW roster.  Starks is basically the best wrestler on Smackdown.  They should give it to Abadon and bring back Max the Impaler and have them kill each other over it.  Every FTW match SHOULD have blood in it.  While you RUBES were watching in picture in picture, Ricky Starks hits a fucking BEAUTIFUL Ted DiBiase fistdrop.  I wish Team Tazz would emulate Ted DiBiase like FTR and CM Punk emulate Bret Hart and Adam Cole emulates Shawn Michaels.  Actually, Ethan Page emulates DiBiase though I don't think it's a conscious decision.  DANHAUSEN!  He is all about the wrestling these days!  He is perfectly fine in the ring but gets over by being a colorful character, so ACTUALLY Danhausen IS the Rock.  Ricky Starks is slapping hands on the way out!  HE IS A FACE!  Willow Nightingale is great as your annoyingly spunky friend.  One has to love her.  The Briscoes being banned from Time Warner programming feels like Bruiser Brodie in the 1970s, where he would show every now in then in Texas but you really heard about him except in Apter mags.  I love how legendary they sound when they are mentioned by FTR on Dynamite.  Dax Harwood is TOTALLY Arn Anderson on the stick.  So intense and no nonsense.  Athena and Willow Nightingale bring something that Women's matches in AEW need- highspots.  I remember the thing that would have gotten Red Velvet over more is if she would hit the Orihara Moonsault more than ONCE in her career.  Athena will also LAY IT THE FUCK IN.  She is the perfect addition to the women's division.  Jade Cargill is assuming the roll of every office manager I ever worked under.  She is awesome not putting up with any bullshit from Kiera Hogan and just overall being a legit college graduate sorority sister who is in charge of a bunch of underlings who she has to continually harangue to get them to perform.  She's really great at it.  Jade Cargill IS Arn Anderson of the Four Horsemen.  Miyu Yamashita would be a great transitional champion to get the belt on Toni Storm.  It's not going to happen, but it would be a smart move.  The thing with the Eddie Kingston/BCC vs JAS feud being extended past the Blood and Guts match is that EVERY ONE ELSE WHO WOULD BE AT THE TOP OF THE CARD ARE ON INJURED RESERVE.  Eddie and Jericho are the most over guys who can still actually wrestle so they are going to keep having these matches until Kenny Omega and CM Punk can move around without falling over.  The top of this feud may be played out but it is setting up a lot of fun stuff underneath- the main thing being Ruby Soho getting the crap kicked out her by Tay Conti and THE SUDDENLY EVIL and suddenly interesting ANNA JAY!   Plus it heats up Daniel Garcia versus Wheeler Yuta.  Jericho is shooting for a Terry Funk-like last act and I back his play 100%.  Jericho is moving from Funk '89 to Funk '95.  It's just that this version of ECW has a slew of Shane Douglas's that are infinitely better than Shane Douglas.  Eddie Kingston is on a Dusty Rhodes run and Dusty Rhodes was turned on by EVERY ONE.  Eddie needs a Barry Windham.  Mox developed that relationship with Yuta tonight, but I don't see anybody that Eddie can develop that kind of relationship with so that it would be AWESOME when he turns on him, like Windham turning on Dusty was.  "You're NOT MY DADDY!  BLACKJACK MULLIGAN WAS MY DADDY!"  That's what needs to happen next in Eddie's AEW journey.

• Like 5

(The most exciting wrestler in 2022) Darby Allin v Brody King wins the night, but not before a helluva tag match. I'd love to see Chuck Taylor parlay this into a form of consistency he's yet to achieve in AEW. Goddamn, can the Besties go heel? I generally like them, but that was a new gear. That might've been my favorite Moxley performance of the year (in a really good year). YUTA wheeling along and getting OVAH! Regal really oughtta just take over the commentary booth. Great call from the Orange man to close it out. Love Keith and Swerve, but this was ridiculoulsy bad save for Nese taking a punch like a pro from that top 40 rapper I've never cared to listen to. This shit segment sandwhich seems like a worrysome weekly trend following that awful Dark Order segment a week or so back. I'd love to see them either halt or better scrutinize the purpose of these comedy segment bookings. Following Jack Boy's return was it not obvious that Luchasaurus' allegiances are in question? Well placed chase between Jungler and Christ. Not much to the match, but I enjoyed seeing the Blonds get brutalized. JR joins - really, we need to give Ross' entrance TV time every week? Well, the crowd is into it. Am I crazy or did JR seem a shit ton better this week - seemed to have a sunny disposition. Ricky Starks is a big bright shiny star! Stay healthy Ricky! I thought Cole Carter looked good in defeat here. I loved Ricky throwing out another challenge and not accepting, but not sure you do that as effectively with a fairly meek character in Danhausen. FTR interview was pretty terrific with the memorable closing line, but it also felt like it pretty well established who's winning the big tag title match. Unless they decide to Steamboat them. Briscoes images continue to appear on Warner Discovery TV, hmm!? Jay Lethal, Dutt and Satnam are just incredible! How did Jay Lethal go from longstanding wooden promo to one of the most entertaining stick-min in the company!? I was in and out on the Women's tag, but dug what I saw. Love Willow Nightingale, and Athena's looked really good thus far. Happy to see Kiera find herself in a better position. Jade-a-mania is running wild. I wonder seeing Britt Baker in those painter jeans if she's hitting up Jake Robert's for style tips? I wasn't fully locked on the Main, but from what I saw it was what was expected. Er to me anyway. Are Barbed Wire matches not about mutilation spots and selling said spots? I don't get this butthurt reaction to Kingston being pinned. He doesn't NEED to win, and seemed pretty well protected with the interference. Then he got the last laugh by throwing Jericho into that wired up tray. What's the problem? From my viewing angle this was a really entertaining show. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I never would have thought Tay Conti's natural likeability would go to go away heat getting paired with her fiance, Slappable Sammy.

I was ready to like for the neat pic post, but this comment seems a bit past it's expiry date. Sure, having Tay/Sammy work a heel stable (Men of the Year) was worthy of this statement or at least the idea, but now they're fully established heels working babyfaces. I think your heat calculation is a little off? I'm pretty certain wonderful she and terrific he might just be what you call 'well over heels' and well on their way! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
They're Their There
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Dax is so cringe to me. My friend was watching live and I was about 30 minutes behind. He said you'll never guess what Dax talked about. "His wife and daughter, being the best team ever, and love of this business?" "Pretty much."

So corny. Hard pass. I get that it's obviously working but it's not for me. I'm really down on them with the over the top praise they get. 

Don't the Briscoes have a very similar story as well? Mark just had a scare with his newest child Big Murph and his wife. And the Briscoes have a lot of kids so logically wouldn't they be doing all of this for their kids as well. And they don't have the big contracts with AEW so they have to wrestle everywhere to make ends meet and they think they are the best tag team in the world. It's literally the same thing lol. 

Edited by wpdougie2180
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Rev Ray said:

I want an isolated camera if them trying to grease up daddy magic's head so he can get his melon out of the shark cage bars.  

I really want starks and Hobbs to be the ones to take the belts of Strickland and Lee.

If they are going to multiple babyfaces vs tayjay, who do they put with ruby who's not already tied in an angle?  Skye Blue?

I really feel like Eddie should have gone over here.

So, I feel like your options are Sarah Logan, another ex wwe woman (Dakota Kai?) or like Allysin Kay…

Extra post on AEW Time Management:

Doesn’t Tony have hundreds of tapes of the one promotion that regularly ran standby matches because in their universe, their billed main events had to start early enough to be finished on TV and typically they didn’t? Of course if you’re doing tapings in a Boys Club for weeks of TV at the same time, you didn’t need every last segment to be hot but doing live TV instead is different.

Guessing nowadays without other wrestling show promotion, the main argument for holding the main thing to the last segment is if you occasionally had shows with the last 5-10 minutes being standby, it’d mess up the lead-in ratings for whatever TBS is airing next.

Another time management thing likely isn’t under AEW’s control and that’s when the commercial breaks are.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

The only logical escalation is loser leaves town, but….

That was my idea as well as it would be a worthwhile way to send Jericho off, but I think we all know he isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. It still begs the question of what kind of match they'd have to ensure a fair fight.

13 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

That was my idea as well as it would be a worthwhile way to send Jericho off, but I think we all know he isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. It still begs the question of what kind of match they'd have to ensure a fair fight.

On the other hand, masked folk hero Eddie Kingston… 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

clearly a match with a gator-filled moat around the ring and then Daddy Magic has to fight off gators to get JAS to interfere

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Brody King's debut in AEW was my first exposure to him. I thought he looked amazing, but was a little underwhelmed in the ring. He just looked like he was working too light for his character. Well, he got the memo pretty damn fast, and he's looked like a proper beast for a while now. I'm very intrigued as to where this HOB/Darby & Sting/Miro stuff goes.

I didn't have a problem with the result of the main, but I don't think the execution was there. I mean, what the hell were Jericho and Sammy doing there at the end? That was some serious wire crossing.

Oh, and my line of the night was after Silver and Reynolds get beat up, Hangman asks Silver if he's ok, and he just says, "no".  Loved that.

• Like 3