DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/20/2022!

DEAN

I haven't watched the main event but it looks like it went well. Show started with two excellent matches, with Darby vs. Brody being a fringe motyc. Don't think there's anybody who's pulled off better David vs. Goliath matches more consistently than Darby. Top top stuff. Loves the tag match that followed but did not love Wheeler kicking out of back to back piledrivers. Everything else was wonderful sans the producer missing Wheeler slapping I think Trent. They gotta chill on camera cuts. They've been just a step away from Dunne status for a long time. It sucks. 

Show fell off a cliff after that sadly. That Swerve in our Glory segment was forever and awful. The heaven and hell quality of the show reminded me of year 1 dynamite. They need to get back to year 2 consistency and logical booking. 

• Like 4

I want to hate on the main so fucking much but I'm confused more than anything.  Obviously TK knows how a match like that goes so it makes me wonder why you would do this on TV.  Do the shark cage, sure, but maybe instead of barb wire go for a nice and violent No DQ match.  Tells the same story without building up unfair expectations and even when short on time they can get he job done.  But instead we got this.  That's fine since he's gotta answer to Turner but unfortunately it was a waste.  That's why you save this shit for the PPV and hope it goes smoothly.  Full Gear match with Omega/Mox?  Awesome!  Revolution match?  Well, would have been awesome enough except for...well, you know.

At least while the wired was trimmed down it was sharp enough to give an decent illusion of danger.  But while it was a waste the match itself wasn't.  Take out the wire and the match itself would have been enough to close one chapter while another emerges.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Took out inane analogy that didn't make sense to me.
  • Like 1

Who in the hell though Kingston had a chance in the main? I enjoyed a great deal of it, the only issue for me was how transparent the booking was. Compare that to Brody King vs. Darby Allin which is gonna place on my TV MotY list. Really natural stuff, great dynamic, great chemistry, felt equal parts thriller movie/real sport/bondage dungeon. And Brody over clean caught me off-guard.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Obvously with Christian's guidance they'll be slightly less jobberiffic!

I really haven't been watching every week, but i'm guessing Lance Archer hasn't been on TV in a few months, and he's also available to be part of Christian's security

Christian needs guys to sponge heat off of like all the other old dudes in AEW, and there are young guys who need the sponging experience.

Lance Archer is working the G1 Climax for the next month. Dude is doin' fine but he isn't showing up on any Turner broadcasts.

Thoughts;

This time a year ago I’d never heard of Brody King. Now he’s a personal fave. Miro wearing the sunglasses is interesting. I wonder if he’s hiding the face discoloration thing.

Wheeler Yuta is on the run of a lifetime. He’s a guy they can build around. Sober Jon Moxley on cruise control is still the best worker on the roster, even counting the injured folks.

Jungle Boy is back! He got a great reaction live. Poor Varsity Blondes. 

Its “twenty cent” Cole Karter! Ricky Starks is so unbelievably cool. I’ll say this again: Ricky Starks is what people wish adam Cole is. He’s a top five promo in the business & his work is phenomenal. Give him all the things.

FTR is absolutely on fire. I’m considering spending $ on the ROH ppv this weekend because of this.

Starks & Karter was good, but no one let Karter talk again. Ever. 

Danhausen! He got one of the biggest pops of the night. I’m thinking Hook gets involved next week.

Several good womens segments this week. ThunderStorm look good together. Britt Baker is phoning in these promos so hard. Don’t work too hard, Britt. Goddamn. 

Dark Order got jumped. Not Chris d’Elia got his head put through the wall. Damn. Hangman makes the save. I’m thinking he turns heel soon.

Jade Cargill is so good. She’s such a star. Stokely is a great foil. JD is So So Def. Fun little tag match. That was a nasty stair bump Athens took.

The main started out really fun. I called the Anna Jay thing before it happened. Poor Ruby. The run ins were expected. I kept hoping Bryan would come out and negate Guevara. Shit. Now I’d like to see that match. Wrong guy won. Shit finish. Kingston stood talk, but he needed that win. 

• Like 6

I enjoyed the women's tag. More Willow is always a good thing. Loved how Jermaine Dupree initially looked like he wanted to be anywhere but at the show but got sucked right in lol The eventual Athena vs Jade singles is going to be great.

I liked the Anna Jay fake out. Always preferred her as a heel.

• Like 1

When Mad King came down to the ring, all I kept thinking about is what the hell he would have been like in 1996 ECW. Kingston would have had the best blood feuds with everyone there. Can you friggin' imagine him versus Sabu? His tag run with The Sandman at some point? Kingston trying to beat the hardcore out of the heel-turned Mick Foley? Eddie Kingston: bWo member? Literally any interaction with New Jack? He would have been so absolutely perfect for ECW and its unique brand of scarring me in my impressionable late teens and early 20s.

AEW just has to start with the actual main events. They mess up the timing of the shows so much and it eats into the main events. They layout of that match would have worked if it had time to breath. AEW really has to do a better job tightening all of that up because it's noticeable. 

While I liked the layout of the match... Painkiller Jericho is so so so so stupid. Aside from looking like an extra from The Warriors, The Painkiller doesn't fit in at all with what happened in the match. If he's truly digging down deep to get into this dark headspace... then why would he even think he would need his goons? Or want them involved? Normal-mode Jericho with a bit of a cowardly streak but the wiliness of a veteran who pre-planned his strategy to get Ana Jay and Conti involved to steal keys and a remote control and then a fail-safe with Sami would have been better. 

The FTR promo was an all-timer. It is seriously making me think about buying a ROH PPV and that is absolutely nothing I have ever considered doing.

Jade was so good on the apron tonight. Great reactions to what was happening - her disdain for her partner not carrying her weight, knowing when to cheat and cackle about it, etc.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

While I liked the layout of the match... Painkiller Jericho is so so so so stupid. Aside from looking like an extra from The Warriors, The Painkiller doesn't fit in at all with what happened in the match.

excuse me... he's the Painmaker, which totally isn't someone trying to rip off an 80s horror movie villain.

ChrisJericho_20190609_3-352x528.png

The thing about Shark Cages is, they are built to keep Sharks OUT, not to keep people IN.

In fact, being able to squeeze through the bars in a hurry might be pretty useful, if there's like a sharek chasing you or something.

Was Athena & Willow vs Jade & Kiera the first ever Women's Tag match on American TV, where all four competitors were Black?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I enjoyed the women's tag. More Willow is always a good thing. Loved how Jermaine Dupree initially looked like he wanted to be anywhere but at the show but got sucked right in lol The eventual Athena vs Jade singles is going to be great.

I liked the Anna Jay fake out. Always preferred her as a heel.

11 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Jade was so good on the apron tonight. Great reactions to what was happening - her disdain for her partner not carrying her weight, knowing when to cheat and cackle about it, etc.

Jade should be in more tag matches.  She is GREAT as a hot tag.

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

excuse me... he's the Painmaker, which totally isn't someone trying to rip off an 80s horror movie villain.

ChrisJericho_20190609_3-352x528.png

Ah, of course, silly me. I'm really glad Jericho came across my e-fed 20 years ago for this incredible persona. 

I didn't watch any of his Japan stuff. But I remember him saying he wanted to go over there and cause people to freak out like they did when Brody was tossing chairs in the crowd. Did anyone tell him that Brody was some bearded wildman giant, and that is why that worked, while he's wearing a jacket later used by the cast of "Pistol?" 

I actually friggin' love Jericho for the most part. But he really needs people to tell him "no" and to edit his stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

insert yablewit.gif here

Kingston needed to kill Jericho dead here and then move back into being loved/hated by the BCC guys. Weaving him into the eventual Mox/Punk title unification would be been perfect.

Brody King ragdolling Darby and the BF vs BCC tag were both great. Really great. Loved how they told the story in the tag match, in particular.

And Dax's promo was great as well. My daughters inspire me, too, dude.

And we are apparently getting JD Drake vs Takeshita on Elevation!

So, I still love you, AEW.

• Like 10

I woke up at 530am to watch DYNAMITE live here in India on Eurosport! Fun show....but my electricity was cut during the main event (which may have been a good thing lol)

Darby/Brody was soooo good. When Darby eventually beats Brody, the pop is gonna be MASSIVE.

BCC vs BFs was pretty fun. 

Not a big fan of "celebrations", but I can't hate too much on a segment that ends with a heel manager getting caked. 

RE: the woman's tag. I don't want to sound patronizing, but it was really dope to see such strong African American representation, especially in a show in the ATL. Add the ref, Stoke, JD, and I thought it was pretty great. Let's see more of this. 

FTR are on a helluva run. Love those dudes. 

Great show, from what I saw.

• Like 7

Darby/Brody was an awesome opener, finisher looked killer. Best Friends/BCC also great and Moxley taking the Awful Waffle also looked killer. Both great matches with great crowd reaction.

The escalation of it's Sting! to the Sting/Malakai faceoff to it's The REDEEMER! was good stuff. 

Enjoyed the Swerve/Lee celebration as a follow up to last week's epic moment and Kevin Gates' KO punch ruled. 

Loved the return of Jungle Boy. "LUCHASAURUS STEPS ASIDE!!!!!!!!!" was actually low key my favorite moment of the night with Jungle Boy then chasing Christian through the arena like a movie scene with "Tarzan Boy" playing in the background. Fantastic. Luchasaurus had just been helping Christian who had been his mentor but he never actually turned against his best friend. Great twist on the typical booking and while that turn might still happen, I'd prefer it if they kept the unbreakable bond of Jurassic Express in tact after all. 

FTW match was solid and epic pop for Danhausen. FTR's promo was fantastic, very old school and the pop for them was massive. Jade looked great as our hometown hero.

The Undefeated Painmaker lives! Match was wild. Figured Jericho was winning once Sammy wasn't in the shark cage with the others, but didn't expect Anna Jay's turn, I guess she is not Dark Order Forever after all. Sad that the final big spider web bump had to be so rushed, but overall a very enjoyable show once again. Really looking forward to Yamashita/Rosa next week at Fight for the Fallen 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Who in the hell though Kingston had a chance in the main? I enjoyed a great deal of it, the only issue for me was how transparent the booking was. Compare that to Brody King vs. Darby Allin which is gonna place on my TV MotY list. Really natural stuff, great dynamic, great chemistry, felt equal parts thriller movie/real sport/bondage dungeon. And Brody over clean caught me off-guard.

Yeah I'm actually baffled by the people complaining about Jericho winning. Did you really think they were going to give away that pop on free TV? Thats something you save for PPV. It's really weird how people clamor for "long term booking" and then complain when they get it. 

I thought it was a fantastic BW match with a botchy ending. Both guys took some gruesome bumps and Jericho cleanly pulled off some spots I didn't think he still had in him. Hell of a performance by him tonight. 

Darby vs Brody was awesome. I LOVED that it was basically a squash. Brody as someone so badass that he can break the unbreakable man is a storyline I can get behind. 

• Like 3

.....so is Anna out of The Dark Order?

I was seriously expecting Luchasaurus to turn on Jungle Boy immediately, surprised it didn't happen. I really want to know what it was that Christian whispered in his ear to cause the initial turn.

Eddie should have won that match, give him his dignified win finally. It was fun, but that ending, sheesh.