DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/20/2022!

DEAN

I love the idea that AEW's tie-in to Shark Week is to do a barbed wire match (with shark cage gimmick in small font/pic)  I have a feeling they learned their lessons from THAT match and history shows they're not afraid of things getting bloody.  It really comes down now to how much Jericho's willing to bleed unless Eddie does most of that.  I'm hoping to not be disappointed but this is so very intriguing to me.

Also am in love with Best Friends going against the guy that got bullied all the time and now found cooler friends to hang with.  I'm sure Yuta has no issue beating down on Trent but I do wonder if he'll have a soft spot for Chuck.

• Like 5

Mad King vs Painmaker

Here's what Road Warrior Animal had to say, in his book, about barbed wire matches: 

"I’m pretty sure I speak for everyone involved when I say barbed wire matches are the most useless and dreaded in the business."

That's a hell of a take, from a guy who knows what he's talking about.

I remember being excited to see the Sabu vs Funk barbed wire match, for example, back. when I was trading tapes... but it was kind of a ghoulish spectacle. I kind of wish they were having a different kind of brawl, just more straight up clubbering and hatred and not so much gimmicky violence. On the other hand, if anyone is ever going to give us a great modern-day barbed wire match I'd have Eddie Kingston pretty high on the list of "dudes who might be able to pull that off."

And it's fair to assume that they'll figure out something very creative and entertaining w/r/t the shark cage.

Best Friends (? and Tennis Shoes) vs BCC (Mox and Wheeler)

I'm more excited for this than for the barbed wire match. I think this will be more up my "straight clubbering, please" and "while you're at it, why not also tell a little story" alley. I think this is going to be great.

I think I'm also more excited for Ex-Alien, former Moon, and delightful Songbird vs The Baddies. I agree that it seems likely that Leila Grey takes the fall and the  blame and if that means we get a subsequent any two of Stat and Athena and Willow vs Jade and Hogan match, I am excited for that too.

I'm definitely more excited for Darby vs Brody King! Darby would reportedly like to die in the ring and Brody is apparently trying to murder everyone who faces him. It's a natural match-up. It might be more harrowing to watch than Jericho vs Kingston, too!

Of all the announced matches, I suppose I am least excited for Christasaurus vs We Miss You So Much, Julia but it's not like I am not excited for that. I am stoked. This is a hell of a card. AEW is just mashing the proverbial foot back down on that gas pedal!

It occurs to me as I'm typing that I am going to miss out on watching a lot of the ROH PPV, DBD, in real time as it is happening, because I'll be on my way to Osaka to watch the BJPW show live in person. 

"I can't watch this wrestling show now because I have to go watch a wrestling show" is, it seems to me, the best possible problem I will ever have.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

And it's fair to assume that they'll figure out something very creative and entertaining w/r/t the shark cage.

Shark Cage from Hell.  That's right, put the crew in scuba gear and surround it in water with a bunch of sharks!

TK, I'll gladly take that payment now if you so choose be it in cash, Costco gift cards or Ringside Collectibles store credit.  Thank you kindly.

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

Best Friends (? and Tennis Shoes) vs BCC (Mox and Wheeler)

I'm more excited for this than for the barbed wire match. I think this will be more up my "straight clubbering, please" and "while you're at it, why not also tell a little story" alley. I think this is going to be great.

I’m here for the story, myself. TRENT never liked Yuta. Chuck did. What will the initial pairings be? When and how will the match boil over? Will Yuta show mercy so close to his big PPV title match? Does Chuck blame Moxley for breaking his fun-loving protege? Does TRENT have a chip on his shoulder? Etc.

• Like 7

Completely forgot about Yuta's association with the Besties. I'm excited for this. I wanna echo the Best Friends love, but I really need Taylor to establish some consistency. Further, I think they missed a big opportunity not having Chuck come back by making a big save for Trent followed by what surely would have been an uproarious embrace. Brody King and Darby has the potential to the steal the show and all the talk. Which is true of any Darby match. I look forward to Christian teaching the Blondes a lesson. Going forth, I don't suspect Brian Junior's babyface act is long for this company. Maybe that's just wishin and hopin'. Really dug his heel charisma from the little I saw in MLW. Finally they book a Women's trios bout for TV! The Trios bouts on Dark, often less competitive than I assume this will be, are generally speaking a fun showcase for the division. It'll be interesting to see if the great Eddie Kingston can carry the well-worn-Lionheart to another quality battle. Stoked for this, but my focus feels a bit too set on this potentially incredible ROHPPV.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Are they going to do hella angles to fill up time for the rope to barbed wire switch before the main event?

I could see Yuta showing no remorse for Chuck, though I do look forward to Taylor trying to go Leatherface on Moxley and the first exchanges between Yuta and Trent.

OR... Does Chuck go big dog style?:

Spoiler

puppet-gun.png

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 1

You know what pisses me off about AEW?

These "Road to" they do are phenomenal in every facet, yet almost 90% of the audience will never see them. Some of the promos and video packages on those are comparable to WWE.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Unless Kingston and Jericho come to the ring in a raft and there are explosions in the water, don't tease us smart marks like that.   Onita would never do that ?

FMW really was the best to ever do it.

Just watched a fun Onita/Pogo exploding deathmatch from outside and it looked like it was in an amusement park.

That Kingston/Jericho shark week ad is the best promotional material AEW has created to date. Easy.

14 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Interesting!

You know honestly that's the best pairing you could do here. As much as I'd love to see Statlander in the match, I see no way that the Baddies are going down and Statlander doesn't need another loss even if looking strong and not taking the pin.

• Like 3