DVDVR Message Board

ROH Death Before Dishonor 2022 - 23 July 2022

That was an exhausting PPV to watch. It had that same AEW PPV pacing of thatmatchwasawesomeAndNowherecomesanotherawesomematch. Although a few of them did have a bit of an "I thought that was going to go longer". Like I wasn't expecting Yuta vs Garcia to go the full 60 minutes, but I was expecting 18-20, not 15. Claudio vs Grasham felt short too. But considering most AEW PPVs have that pace and go 4 hours, the fact that we got 122 minutes in and only had one match left was pretty unprecedented.

2 out of 3 falls matches, in which every fall would work pretty damn well as a one fall match, are impressive.

• Like 6

I understand why some performers would want to lean on doing arena brawls on a longer show.  If for no other reason than your match will have an unusual visual flair that a lot of the other matches won’t get when cameras are focused on the ring all night.  This show had shockingly little of that.  

This a was wrestling show with very little nonsense on it.  Outside of a brief spill into the crowd and a single terrific table spot saved for the end of the show.  I could imagine that the half dozen or so Cornette trolls I saw waiting in line to enter the building would have little if anything to complain about.  (Edit: I just remembered Dragon Lee and Rush had a table spot.  But think the point still stands).

TK really likes a show to hit the ground running at the start.  Rampage episodes often starts like this show did.  Broadcast begin… LETS FUCKING GO!!!  Pedal to the metal in the hammer lane for the duration of the show.  Boom.  I appreciate this approach.  

I’ll nit pick this one detail though.  The production kind of inadvertently shot itself in the foot as it concerns getting a pop out of the match graphics.  By the time they used them during the broadcast the crowd had already popped a couple of times seeing them before going live and during the pre-show.  So yeah, we were over the hype.  That being said, the first view of the FTR/Briscoes graphic before Zero Hour started was massive.

I wonder if Jamie Hayter saw Dragon Lees wresting tights and thought: “Dude, those tights are too small”. 

And now I will engage in some projection.  

I think this show and ROH overall in its current incarnation is obviously working at a deficit.  It should be easy for anyone on this show with AEW exposure to get over, get a good pop, and have a well received match.  But there were a lot of peoples last night that got a good response for their entrance based on reputation.  But absent that exposure they all had to work overtime in their matches to keep it going.  DLee, Rush, Allison, Martinez, that Midsommar Wyatt Family group all had to bust extra ass to get it done and I thought they performed admirably.  The crowd was engaged at worst and nuclear hot at best.

This was my first outing of this sort since La Rona Grande started and my free COVID test was a big negative.  Thank Foley for that.

Edited by Brandon Bones
Ego
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I saw Gresham's boo boo face.

Gresham deleted his own twitter in rage.

I noticed. How can you not be happy for someone underappreciated in Claudio Castagnoli finally getting a long overdue world title? I'd have been happy as fuck to do the honour (no pun intended) for Castagnoli.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

I wonder if Jamie Hayter saw Dragon Lees wresting tights and thought: “Dude, those tights are too small”.

HIS TINY PANTS WERE PERFECTLY FINE!  Oh my god...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Snap judgment is that I preferred #FTR vs. Briscoes I to #FTR vs. Briscoe II. The former had the first time dream match aspect to it with the hotter crowd. The rematch still met the expectations that were there from the quality of the predecessor. Could do with watching both back to back. Two MOTYC. Which was better to you?

Definitely preferred last night's second match, as FTR were great faces in peril, and Dax was immense in the Ricky Morton role. I only watched the first match yesterday also, and it was excellent in its own right (though I slightly prefer the Young Bucks match later that week), but it did not feel quite as epic as last night's match. I'll admit though that a part of it could be watching it live versus watching the furst match well after it happened. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DEAN said:

I didn;t think it was a dead crowd.

This audience was straight dog shit. They were dead all night. That main event was god damn amazing and even during that there's long quiet lulls. I feel bad for everyone working on this show. It's so hard to put on a quality match without that energy. Especially when you know what you're doing isn't connecting. It sucks the life out of you like a force of negative energy. How many times did Caprice say all of these fans are on their feet and you can't find anyone sitting while they showed crowd shots of... everyone sitting? Worst crowd of the year in my opinion.

12 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Maybe I'm just high, but that crowd was pretty hot and just had low points. They were quiet during the beginning of the main event cause they knew they had to save it based on the stip.

You could hear a pin drop in everything but the opener & the main. Pull up Dragon Lee vs Rush. Thought the show was transported to a cemetery during that one from all that dead crowd inaction.

• Like 3

Despite my thoughts on the crowd, I liked this show. The opener & the main were worth the price of the show alone. I loved how smart they had Gresham vs Claudio work. They went out of their way to find creative and realistic ways for Gresham to stop Claudio & control the match. My favorite match style is big man vs little man, and this one had some fun innovative twists on that format.

The main event was god tier. FTR are my favorite tag team of all time. The range of teams they've had killer matches with is just insane. DIY, American Alpha, Usos, New Day, Young Bucks, Briscoes just to name a few. Just so varied and so good. They're like someone crossbred Arn & Tully with The Rock n Rolls. The Briscoes are also so fucking good. The two teams just gel so well. Imagine this match happening in front of that NXT Toronto crowd where FTR worked DIY. This match could have been elevated to a match of the decade in front of a better audience.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Ah, Caprice said that during the main event towards the beginning cause the crowd was tired. That show was hot from the pre show on. Eventually any crowd is going to get burnt out for a bit. It was a shame that it was the Women's title match where they had to work their assess off to get ALL THOSE DUDES in the crowd back alive, was put in the death slot. But who cares? That show fucking ruled!

That crowd cared more about Serena Deeb than every one of her AEW television appearances in the last 6 months combined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently Gresham has asked for a release   not sure if he did this before or after the match.  Given his reaction it sure seemed like before 

As far as Gresham deleting his Twitter, his wife will more than be happy to share an opinion on this.  Not saying she would be wrong but it will definitely be shared 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Apparently Gresham has asked for a release   not sure if he did this before or after the match.  Given his reaction it sure seemed like before 

As far as Gresham deleting his Twitter, his wife will more than be happy to share an opinion on this.  Not saying she would be wrong but it will definitely be shared 

Mad about doing a job or something else?

Claudio seems like the better choice to me.  Besides already being under contract to AEW,  he’s the bigger name by far.   And, in terms of kayfabe, Claudio is a much larger guy and probably the better in-ring guy.  Not sure it.’s going to matter to network execs who is RoH champion when contract negations begin, but Claudio is more likely to make a favorable impression.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Mad about doing a job or something else?

Claudio seems like the better choice to me.  Besides already being under contract to AEW,  he’s the bigger name by far.   And, in terms of kayfabe, Claudio is a much larger guy and probably the better in-ring guy.  Not sure it.’s going to matter to network execs who is RoH champion when contract negations begin, but Claudio is more likely to make a favorable impression.  

Given Gresham’s comments earlier in the week, I’d say it’s about doing a job and doing that job to a white wrestler that has been perceived of in the past as having no character.

Reading Sapp's tweets, it seems like you can add Gresham to the list of "Tony's ghosted me then relegated me to the scrap pile" people and the title was the last bit (I mean shit, he hasn't had any traction on AEW TV meanwhile Claudio has been in town what, a month and a half?)

• Like 2