DVDVR Message Board

ROH Death Before Dishonor 2022 - 23 July 2022

Awesome show. Claudio/Gresham seemed relatively short for an ROH title match but a cool moment for Claudio, looks good as champ. Dalton Castle's theme rules. Garcia/Yuta was great, loved Regal being all over not wanting Yuta to use his rope breaks.

Mercedes/Serena delivered huge, was very much looking forward to this one and they killed it. Match of the night for me at this point. Mercedes' spider german was great, some solid near falls, decisive finish and a nice code of honor ending.

Loved Joe/Lethal more than I expected to and thought Joe looked fantastic here, very reminiscent of old school ROH. I was rooting hard for Joe to retain so I was buying the near falls to the finish. Great stuff. Lowell is Joe's town, where he won the TNA title, the NXT title, and now this. 

Main event was unbelievable. Think I liked this more than the first one. Definitely thought they were going broadway with the time elapsed announcements. Really good finishes to all 3 falls. Felt like a home run PPV for ROH.

• Like 7

Just now, JLowe said:

Yeah, you should be paying him for what he brings with his talent and wealth of knowledge but if not that you at least pay him to keep him from working for your competition.

This. Cheers.

World title match was strange. It was almost an extended squash, Gresham's control segments were super short and Claudio never really looked in any danger. I wonder if whatever happened with Tully caused plans to change and they just decided to make it quick and get to the payoff

Forgot to mention that, but extremely disappointed that Tully got done away with so quickly/suddenly/randomly. Prince Nana's cool, but I was really looking forward to Tully leading a stable and having a regular role going forward. Thought he was going to add a lot to the presentation of Cage and the Gates of Agony, and Gresham too since that was a brand new pairing. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, matt925 said:

That was a really good show but the crowd sucked.

Jeers to Lowell Mass. Caprice Coleman called them 'an AEW crowd'. They had no time for the ROH guys nor much interest in most of the action. Brutal. 

Cheers to ROH. Had to dip in and out, but loved what I saw. Great to read these rave reviews. Stoked to revisit this in its entirety - including what seemed like a pretty stellar pre-show. Henry and Cabana in particular. Nana is a welcome addition. Hope all is well with Tully. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Super great show. 

seemed like a LOT of Dax talking to the briscoes, ref talking to briscoes towards the end of their match. Didn’t seem to ruin anything though. 

Garcia v Yuta forever 

Regal on commentary forever

Joe forever

• Like 5

Ah, Caprice said that during the main event towards the beginning cause the crowd was tired. That show was hot from the pre show on. Eventually any crowd is going to get burnt out for a bit. It was a shame that it was the Women's title match where they had to work their assess off to get ALL THOSE DUDES in the crowd back alive, was put in the death slot. But who cares? That show fucking ruled!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Ah, Caprice said that during the main event towards the beginning cause the crowd was tired. That show was hot from the pre show on. Eventually any crowd is going to get burnt out for a bit. It was a shame that it was the Women's title match where they had to work their assess off to get ALL THOSE DUDES in the crowd back alive, was put in the death slot. But who cares? That show fucking ruled!

Caprice said it in relation to FTR having home field advantage. I was using it as a quote to try and make sense of such a dead crowd. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Caprice said it in relation to FTR having home field advantage. I was using it as a quote to try and make sense of such a dead crowd. 

I didn;t think it was a dead crowd.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Maybe I'm just high, but that crowd was pretty hot and just had low points. They were quiet during the beginning of the main event cause they knew they had to save it based on the stip.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 3

Caprice putting over Martinez's knees reminded me of Ventura at WMIII re: Steamboat's throat. "They say he's got a lotta heart but I say he's got a lotta throat." Martinez had a lotta knees tonight. 

Great show. I thought the crowd was too quiet through most of it but they always popped at the appropriate spots so it could have just been the audio. The way the Claudio match went has me wondering if Gresham is done with ROH, felt like a pretty comprehensive defeat and he didn't even come out in his cool Cthulhu helmet.

• Like 1

Just got home.  My ears are ringing and my voice is hoarse.

I had a blast at the show and thought it was spectacular.  

From what I could tell the biggest pop of the night was either Joes entrance and the false finish after the belt shot he took.  Joe turned the building into a bunch of Wacky Inflatable Tube Men at least a half dozen times.

I’d say roughly 80% of the seats were filled.  

FTR/Briscoes was just superb.  I didn’t think it was going 60 because the timing announcements would have a broadway 8-9 minutes past the hour.  But who gives a shit?  Piledriver from way up high!  Much like Dax hitting the post right before the Doomsday Device.  This second rope piledriver delivered a solid reason for the fall.  Gods this was greatness.  Probably second only to being there when Foley won the belt on RAW.

I know that sometimes tv sound can be deceiving in its representation of the crowd.  But I thought they were on fire tonight.  Even fucking NANA got a killer pop.  

My buddy the Gi Man isn’t very familiar with ROH but is generally up to date on AEW.  He was very impressed with Rush and Dragon Lee. 

Ok.  Anyway… Fuck this post.  I’m zonked and going to bed.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

As someone who loves tag team wrestling, it warms my heart that the two hottest stars in wrestling are a tag team (and a team that bet on themselves that they could be big stars as a team). That FTR-Briscoes match tonight is on the short list for greatest American tag team matches ever.

• Like 10

Snap judgment is that I preferred #FTR vs. Briscoes I to #FTR vs. Briscoe II. The former had the first time dream match aspect to it with the hotter crowd. The rematch still met the expectations that were there from the quality of the predecessor. Could do with watching both back to back. Two MOTYC. Which was better to you?

I totally forgot about this card somehow (given the lineup, that's insane) but I'm gonna watch now. This will probably be in several parts though because it is late and I have the day off tomorrow anyway. 

Gresham looks pissed to be out here, just look at his eyes. He also has incredible core strength that is Claudio-level: just look at him floating in midair without aid at the start of the Giant Swing, or him bridging out of a pin like a joshi wrestler. It definitely sold me on him. The Claudio win is necessary and awesome though. 

Dalton, I love you, but again, it's late. 

Wheeler vs. Daniel was FANTASTIC. Great psychology with the ear -- and may I add that Riccaboni and Caprice are the best pair of wrestling commentators in the business right now still? Putting them with Regal is like getting your vitamins in. The finish was pretty much perfect; before I thought about the insult of Jericho's Walls/Boston Crab being used I thought about the insult of using it as a Young Boy finisher. Garcia is such a shitbag and can do a different match than the ones I've already seen him do. The layout of this was just incredible. Top notch. 

Speaking of psychology. I'm an only child (which probably explains a lot) and I've never had a brother or a sister, but I imagine moments of Rush/Dragon Lee being like that. Except I would hope my brother wouldn't break an entire table with his head. Another excellent match with another great fake-out finish that was hard-nosed as fuck. 

It's almost 2 AM over here so if I drop I'll post the rest later. 

• Like 8

Trying not to read a single word of this thread, so as to remain unsullied until tomorrow afternoon, as I decided to watch the entire PPV at my friend's place during a nice bout of day-drinking, as we are both on summer vacation still. The original plan was to show him 2 of the best matches on each PPV this year so far, but this should work just fine.

• Like 5

Mercedes vs. Serena was killer. The WOH title tournament was so good and I was so disappointed when Rok-C went due to circumstances out of our control to the shithouse of WWE, so this feels like a breath of fresh air. It wasn't as good as the all-time MOTY between Mercedes vs. Meiko Satomura but it definitely fit the ROH mold and won the crowd. 

Shit, Samoa Joe vs. Jay Lethal was perfectly fine on top of that. Joe is reaching Tenryu (apologies to the ladies that used the Spider Suplex earlier) levels of old-guy meat-chopper. This was based way more on levels of selling than earlier matches that were based on technicality, though all of them have had fine selling. This was also based on Joe being an old mean bastard that wouldn't take any shit. The crowd needed a little TNA/WWE too considering the seconds and how the card had already been booked. If you can pull this off with Joe then I take my hat off, Mr. Lethal, despite your terrible finisher. The impersonations are still dope too. 

• Like 5

"Two many baby? How many we got?"

This main was incredibly good though probably not as good as people will rate it. It was a total ROH match though. The finish was super great. TWO people exploded through a table directly on their heads (I suppose last?) night. If you want to get something over, you got it. 

Fuck that was a great card. Goodnight, nurse. 

• Like 5