DVDVR Message Board

ROH Death Before Dishonor 2022 - 23 July 2022

50 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The card is insane.  Fully expect FTR and Briscoes to tear the house down in one of my favorite tag team match types. 2 out of 3 falls.  

This gonna be $50?  

$40 on Xfinity PPV 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The card is insane.  Fully expect FTR and Briscoes to tear the house down in one of my favorite tag team match types. 2 out of 3 falls.  

This gonna be $50?  

$19.99 on Fite if you use a VPN, just sayin’

• Like 4

11 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I wonder how many rotations with the giant swing Claudio gets on Gresham?

A fair few I'd imagine.

---

I can see new titles across the board getting introduced tonight to signify a new era with the new logo. Then again, when you think ROH's peak, it's that ROH World Championship.

Edited by The Natural

During Rampage, they filled out the preshow with a bunch:

Allysin Kay vs. Willow Nightingale
Colt Cabana vs. Anthony Henry
Shinobi Shadow Squad (Eli Isom & Cheeseburger) vs. The Trustbusters (Ari Daivari & Slim J)
Tully Blanchard Enterprises (Brian Cage & The Gates of Agony (Kaun & Toa Liona) vs. Alex Zayne, Blake Christian, & Tony Deppen

Surprised Tully's crew (especially Cage) didn't make the main show this time. 

High hopes for Mercedes/Serena. Assuming Claudio wins, hoping Joe retains

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm here for FTR-Briscoes and to count the rotations on that Giant Swing! 

I was wondering going into this about Bandido. All I could find is that he's apparently injured and possibly working with IMPACT, tho he may just be referring to an Impact promoted Starcast event. I suspect he'll find his way back to ROH, or is there something I missed? This was from July 1st. 

Bandido is announced to debut for Impact on August 13, though it's billed as a "match brought to us by AAA" vs. Rey Horus, so not sure if it's temporary/one off or what.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

So weird that Rush vs Dragon Lee, for the first time ever, is just an afterthought.

I'm guessing instead of doing the first time ever brother vs brother match with no build, it ends up morphing into some kind of LFI vs people trios match butncant figure out against who.

Rush vs. Dragon Lee?  That’s news to me.  I haven’t seen a lot of those two but the little I have has me geeked.

I’m kind if surprised at the level of excitement for this card after reading through the thread here.  I haven’t been to an ROH show since August of 07 to see Steenerico vs. The Briscoes in a street fight.  I got unapologetically knocked to the floor that night in the melee.  

I take that back.  Rhett Titus did ask me if I was ok.  But it was cursory as he had a herd of scrambling fans to shield as the fighty got streety.

I’ll be sure to give a report from the ground.  

Drink responsibility rasslin’ fans.

• Like 2

As someone who slept on ROH for a decade or two because "it wasn't Japan" I'm super excited to finally be in on the hype. This card looks awesome and I hope Deeb wins because she is the greatest, although I suppose we don't want too many AEW regulars holding all the ROH belts at once. 

Anyone have a good quality link where I can watch Briscoes/FTR I in prep for the rematch tonight? Thaaaaaaaanks. 

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm guessing instead of doing the first time ever brother vs brother match with no build, it ends up morphing into some kind of LFI vs people trios match butncant figure out against who.

Only thing I could think of it might morph into would be Rush & Andrade vs Dragon Lee & Dralistico.

Speaking of Andrade, anyone think there will be any shenanigans with him in the Jay Lethal match to tie in the fact that their on opposing teams for the Flair retirement match next weekend?

Also, what closes the show? Gresham vs Claudio because it’s the world title match? Or Joe vs Lethal because it’s had the most build? Or FTR vs Briscoes II?

3 hours ago, onelegbrynn said:

Only thing I could think of it might morph into would be Rush & Andrade vs Dragon Lee & Dralistico.

Speaking of Andrade, anyone think there will be any shenanigans with him in the Jay Lethal match to tie in the fact that their on opposing teams for the Flair retirement match next weekend?

Also, what closes the show? Gresham vs Claudio because it’s the world title match? Or Joe vs Lethal because it’s had the most build? Or FTR vs Briscoes II?

Countdown show made it seem that the tag title are the main event

So stoked for this PPV. I was never a regular ROH viewer, but I love a 'fixer-upper'. I'll also add that any ROH live show I ever randomly caught was tremendous fun. The history of this company is special and it feels like this PPV is too. That special feeling has been well earned by the quietly effective work they've done to keep the name alive whilst transitioning (without the benefit of a weekly). 

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

FYUtAcDXgAAE7ir?format=jpg&name=900x900

Card.

Here's my zero hour predictions: Future World Champion Willow Nightingale is impressive in victory. Slim J thrills new viewers and becomes a talking point. Colt Cabana maybe (but probably doesn't) gets his incredible Barry Manilow theme music back? The Workhorsemen lay a beating on Colt. Does somebody make the save? Tully Blanchard Enterprises shows promise with Kaun, potential with Toa, and maybe some progresion by Brian Cage (under Tully's brilliant watchful eye). Deppen, Zayne and Christian somehow look either great in defeat or like a random Dark trio. I'm hoping the former as I've liked the little I've seen of all three. Further, I like Dalton Castle and the Boys in the early PPV card six man. Can I assume the Boys are guys they've specifically selected because they're fantastic workers? Anybody have any info on who's playing the two roles? 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 11:16 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Understandable, but I like that this one is a little shorter for that reason. I'm actually kind of wondering if they'll be taping an episode of Dark or some online exclusive matches or something to pad this one out.

My gut instinct is that the lack of gimmick matches is to separate ROH stylistically from the main AEW shows now that they share ownership - AEW has incredible 'pure' matches too, but it's also more likely to be the home of blood and guts, barbed wire, mimosa madness, etc.

I think the 2/3 falls tag goes 60 mins or very close to it. 

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Can I assume the Boys are guys they've specifically selected because they're fantastic workers? Anybody have any info on who's playing the two roles? 

The Boys are aka the Tate Twins, Brandon and Brent. They’re also known as the Bad News Boyz and wrestled for mostly for New South Wrestling and OVW. They’ve also had a few spots on Dark and were part of the Crockett Cup this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Had a long, hot, exhausting week and had to stay out of town an extra night, but I am now home and with the extra per dime I got for today I decided to buy the PPV (also since it’s only $40).  Missed the first 20 minutes or so of the buy-in but got my beers and ready to go.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Tully Blanchard Enterprises has been sold, we've got The Embassy now

Wonder what’s up there. They just put out a t-shirt for Blanchard Enterprises, didn’t they?

• Like 1