DVDVR Message Board

ROH Death Before Dishonor 2022 - 23 July 2022

This is happening on Saturday and could probably use its' own thread. Announced so far -

ROH World Championship - Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. Claudio Castagnoli 
ROH World Television Championship - Samoa Joe (c) vs. Jay Lethal 
ROH Pure Championship - Wheeler Yuta (c) vs. Daniel Garcia 
ROH World Tag Team Championship (2/3 Falls) - FTR (c) vs. The Briscoe Brothers 
ROH Women's World Championship - Mercedes Martinez (c) vs. Serena Deeb

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

This is happening on Saturday and could probably use its' own thread. Announced so far -

ROH World Championship - Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. Claudio Castagnoli 
ROH World Television Championship - Samoa Joe (c) vs. Jay Lethal 
ROH Pure Championship - Wheeler Yuta (c) vs. Daniel Garcia 
ROH World Tag Team Championship (2/3 Falls) - FTR (c) vs. The Briscoe Brothers 
ROH Women's World Championship - Mercedes Martinez (c) vs. Serena Deeb

What a card. Claudio Castagnoli wins a world title for the first time. Most looking forward to #FTR vs. Briscoes II in a rematch of one of the best matches this year, ***** and it's two out of three falls - a favourite stipulation of mine.

I've gotta watch on 'tape delay' (going to the Alexisonfire show in Brooklyn) but I'm most crazy excited for the Pure and Tag Title bouts. Yuta/Garcia is gonna slay (and let's be real, these kids are so young and so talented, we could see this match many more times over the next 20-30 years if all involved stay healthy and play their cards right.) Maybe someday we'll talk about this one like people talk about Bret/Shawn in '92 or that Cena/Danielson match on Velocity in '03. And I'm almost worried for FTR and Dem Boys! They're gonna have to pull out all the stops to top their last encounter, and it seems pretty damn likely they will. If the tag titles don't main event, I wonder if they'll go with Joe/Lethal over Claudio/Gresham to close. Not that I necessarily wanna or don't wanna see it, but maybe we get some Ric Flair/Andrade scullduggery with Lethal.

Edit: Also, one gripe: where's Takeshita?!

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Really strong lineup, with a lineup like that the big risk is that some matches don’t live up to potential as they can’t all be main event type outings. Card also runs the risk of suffering from what ROH detractors used to argue, too much straight wrestling with little variety. Card has the potential to be an all time classic and it will be interesting to see the “feel” of a Khan ROH show. 

As long as only one of Gresham or Lethal walk out with the should be good at the end of the day. I think Gresham should retain, but it also makes sense for Lethal to win, and I do t think you do both. 

As much as they are hyping that Claudio has never won a world title, you have to believe that they will put him over Gresham at the PPV given that Gresham has already had two RoH World title defenses on AEW television and has beaten Dalton Castle and Lee Moriarty in front of receptive fans.

I think that FTR and Samoa Joe will most likely retain.  I can't see anyone beating FTR before they sweep all tag-titles away from everyone.  I am hoping that Serena Deeb will kill Mercedes Martinez, but Martinez could use a high-profile win in a major title defense on PPV.

I wonder if AEW is going to mostly use their own people, or if they are going to reach out to Impact and maybe bring in some of the Honor No More guys to work the show?

Yuta will beat Daniel Garcia in some crazy clusterfuck where Yuta has used all of his rope breaks and will have to capture Garcia in some sort of pinning predicament while trying to counter Garcia's Sharpshooter.  Yuta going into the hole on rope breaks has been baked into his Pure title wins booking ever since he got the belt.

Edited by J.T.

After that sit down FTR and Briscoes had I wonder if Dean is considering ordering the show.  That was some pretty incredible stuff for sure.  And unlike the last one there's now three matches I care to watch instead of just one.  So that justifies the purchase for me.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

As much as they are hyping that Claudio has never won a world title, you have to believe that they will put him over Gresham at the PPV given that Gresham has already had two RoH World title defenses on AEW television and has beaten Dalton Castle and Lee Moriarty in front of receptive fans.

This feels a bit like Big Bubba being UWF champion though.

39 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

After that sit down FTR and Briscoes had I wonder if Dean is considering ordering the show.  That was some pretty incredible stuff for sure.  And unlike the last one there's now three matches I care to watch instead of just one.  So that justifies the purchase for me.

Same, my friend.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, evanknight said:

Card also runs the risk of suffering from what ROH detractors used to argue, too much straight wrestling with little variety

Understandable, but I like that this one is a little shorter for that reason. I'm actually kind of wondering if they'll be taping an episode of Dark or some online exclusive matches or something to pad this one out.

My gut instinct is that the lack of gimmick matches is to separate ROH stylistically from the main AEW shows now that they share ownership - AEW has incredible 'pure' matches too, but it's also more likely to be the home of blood and guts, barbed wire, mimosa madness, etc.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I'm still gathering up the courage to ask the wife.

I'm in the opposite position, I hadn't planned on getting it until my wife asked me why we weren't going to be watching.  She's a good 'un.

We're going to watch FTR/Briscoes I this week to get hyped.

• Like 9

That Yuta/Garcia segment from the DBD preview show was so fantastic. Garcia oozes his persona beautifully and is clearly well on his way. The rise of Wheeler has been unreal. No surprise seeing him adapt his incredible in-ring acumen from jobber duty to assbeater duty, but who could have predicted he'd up his mic game so well so early. 

23 hours ago, evanknight said:

Really strong lineup, with a lineup like that the big risk is that some matches don’t live up to potential as they can’t all be main event type outings. Card also runs the risk of suffering from what ROH detractors used to argue, too much straight wrestling with little variety. Card has the potential to be an all time classic and it will be interesting to see the “feel” of a Khan ROH show. 

As long as only one of Gresham or Lethal walk out with the should be good at the end of the day. I think Gresham should retain, but it also makes sense for Lethal to win, and I do t think you do both. 

Seeing as there are thus far only 5 matches booked I'm not sure they all can't be main event type outings. What constitutes for variety - gimmick matches? Comedy? Seems like enough variance, at least for me, between the Tag Title, the Pure Title and Joe-Lethal matches. Claudio-Gresham may resemble something closer to the  Pure Title bout, but I don't see the four men working in those matches having any problem differentiating their work. 

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

This feels a bit like Big Bubba being UWF champion though.

I assume this refers to JCP putting one of their own in the Champion position? Was Bubba as 'Bubba' part of the UWF roster prior? I assume not. Here I appreciate the decision to play into the promotion's history and to potentially put the title on both a worthy leader and somebody with that history. I really like Gresham, especially this heel act, but he's clearly better suited for the mid-card than trying to sell this new iteration of the promotion. Further, this company deserves some kudos for putting together a show that feels new yet well rooted in the history of ROH. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Was Bubba as 'Bubba' part of the UWF roster prior? I assume not. 

If I remember correctly, Bubba was in UWF for a couple weeks prior to beating Gang for the title.  The title win was his second or third UWF match.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

That Yuta/Garcia segment from the DBD preview show was so fantastic. Garcia oozes his persona beautifully and is clearly well on his way. The rise of Wheeler has been unreal. No surprise seeing him adapt his incredible in-ring acumen from jobber duty to assbeater duty, but who could have predicted he'd up his mic game so well so early. 

That is fucking great.

• Like 2

God damn. AEW will make a lot of money over the next 15+ years with Garcia and HOOK. Yuta is very good and still improving but he doesn't have That Presence that Garcia and HOOK have. Maybe one day but not yet. That was a great hard sell.

• Like 1

They've started adding in a few more of the old-guard ROH guys now. And a Willow Nightengale pre-show match (because we can't have more than one women's match on a card in AEW booking).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I'm in.

Huzzah!  It's going to be a damn fun time.  While my wife's likely playing on Discord that night I'll be all set with the usual food/libations and down for some good-ass wrestling.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EVA said:

Neat, I suspected TK would be trying to figure out a way for this (maybe unnecessary) continuity. Anybody know the skinny on the Righteous? I've seen Vincent in IMPACT, and I dig him. The second guy in the row I've seen from NJPW strong, but don't have much of a call on. This third guy is 'Dutch'? Also, who are these Boys? I think they and their fantastic leader are wearing gold following this PPV.

Also, seeing as Jay Briscoe's mug is being shown on Warner/Discovery television now, is it possible that arguably the best tag team in the world could get signed? The apology is accepted by the Warner exec? You might say, 'well, they did the run up on youtube and didn't appear in the FTR interview segment on Dynamite', which would be fair calls as to why they wouldn't. I'm just getting this odd feeling, with hopes in check, that maybe my dreams can come true!

EDIT: yes they can! Yes, they did!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2