DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

The last time the Mariners went to the playoffs Julio Rodriguez was still an infant

The last time they made the playoffs, I didn't have gray hair. Wait, that's not true. I've had gray hair for 30 years ?

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Braves going to make the Mets earn that division win, if they are going to get it. Braves beat the Mets tomorrow and it doesn't clinch it for them, but makes it about as sure a bet as possible without an actual clinch. Big game.

The weird thing is that it may end up losing the division is the best outcome because if either team wins their WC round and the Cards win theirs they would face LA in a 5 game series as opposed to 7. That gives them a significantly better shot at knocking out LA.

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

The weird thing is that it may end up losing the division is the best outcome because if either team wins their WC round and the Cards win theirs they would face LA in a 5 game series as opposed to 7. That gives them a significantly better shot at knocking out LA.

Honestly I think the Mets can beat the Dodgers if deGrom and Max pitch at their highest level. But my hope for the Braves in the playoffs is that some other team deals with LA so the Braves don't have to.

Also just to note - MLB doesn't re-seed so regardless of the Cards game, the winner of the 4/5 seed game gets LA.

• Thanks 1

With today's win - the Orioles ensured a winning season

Their first since 2016

The are also the first team since at least 1900 to have a winning season the year after losing 110+ games

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The Jays going 16-3 against the shitbum Red Sox is honestly all I need from this season. If they somehow manage playoff success, that's great, but I have what I really needed.

The 16 wins is the most the Jays have had against a single opponent in a single season - trumping the 2 times the beat the Orioles 15 times (and will now forever be the record due to the changing of the schedule next year)

Also the Red Sox are 23-50 against the AL East (the have 3 more games against the Rays) - it is the first time they have lost 50 games in a single season to division opponents

• Like 1

The Padres clinched a WC last night which is their first playoff berth since 2006

The things yet to be settled

• The Braves magic number for the NL East is 1
  • The Phillies magic number for the final NL Wild Card is 1
  • The Padres only lead the Phillies by 1 for the 2nd AL WC and the Phillies hold the tiebreaker
  • The Jays have a 2 1/2 game lead for the 1st AL WC so their magic number is 2 (Seattle holds the tiebreaker and has 4 games left while Toronto only has 3)
  • The Mariners lead the Rays by 1 1/2 for the 2nd AL WC (Tampa holds the tiebreaker)

Since baseball LOVES their random stats, I wonder what the statistic is for a team to be in first for the least number of days during a season, and then win the division. The Braves (I haven't done the math) will be at something like six or seven days all season leading the NL East before winning it, sounds like that could be a record but baseball teams do weird things sometimes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also the Red Sox are 23-50 against the AL East (the have 3 more games against the Rays) - it is the first time they have lost 50 games in a single season to division opponents

I honestly wondered how this was even possible but it is couched by "Division". Looking at Baseball Reference, I'm legitimately shocked that the Red Sox, who I always grew up with as loveable cursed losers, actually were, since the dawn of the division format, mainly mediocre during nearly the first 50 years of play.  You only have two last place finishes before the 2010s and only 1 hundred loss season since the 60's. 

(Actually looking at those 1960's records...  yikes, poor Yaz.)  

14 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Since baseball LOVES their random stats, I wonder what the statistic is for a team to be in first for the least number of days during a season, and then win the division. The Braves (I haven't done the math) will be at something like six or seven days all season leading the NL East before winning it, sounds like that could be a record but baseball teams do weird things sometimes.

BR says the Braves will be in first place for a total of 8 days (assuming they are in first the last 3 games)

The 2006 Twins only were in first place for 4 days. I am not saying that is the record but it is the smallest number I can find.

The (in)famous NY Giants of 1951 were in first place for 6 days

• Like 1

I think the 2012 A's were not in sole possession of first place until the last day of the season when they completed a head-to-head sweep of the Rangers, but I'm not absolutely sure.

2 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I think the 2012 A's were not in sole possession of first place until the last day of the season when they completed a head-to-head sweep of the Rangers, but I'm not absolutely sure.

You are right

Per BR - they were only in first for 3 days and Game 162 was the only one they weren't tied

It is really frustrating the way BR lists things as I had to literally count their entire schedule to confirm

Luis Severino has a no hitter through 7 but is being removed from the game as he is at almost 100 pitches, he is still recovering from injury and the Yanks need any warm body for the playoffs 

13 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Tigers beat Mariners, Blue Jays beat Orioles. WC1 is Toronto. 

Detroit has somehow won 11 out of 13 despite having a DH who got hits in just 2 of those games and has .620 OPS for the season.