DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

I always feel pretty privileged when I have inside information regarding MLB shit. Official scorers aren't thrilled with the pitch clock and the thought is more than half the parks are going to always fuck it up. For example, they've done test runs where they're supposed to start the clock as soon as the singing in the 7th inning is finished and again, half of the parks got it right. That doesn't even factor in being late on the draw in other innings. For the most part, they tend to think it will work out fine in the long run.

The other note is that they have been receiving an email reminder every Saturday about this stuff and it still gets messed up.

46 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I suspect they might want to clarify the whole "two feet on the infield dirt" thing since 

1) some people will take it to prohibit playing in on bunts (they'll likely say you can play on the infield grass but not the outfield grass)

That's in the rule. Articles don't generally state that explicitly because it's kind of implied. Nobody was calling for a ban on players being close on bunts. 

1 hour ago, CSC said:

There's nothing more fun than dropping down a bunt to stop a stupid shift but for some reason we need a freaking rule because dudes are too insecure to do it.  

Has nothing to do with being insecure. For one, bunting is hard at the major league level. It ain't easy to place a bunt on 99mph high cheese or a 93 mph slider at your ankles. For another, even if you get the bunt down, there's a good chance you get thrown out. And, finally, it's a win for the defense. If you've got a slugger at the late and he drops a bunt, that's better him taking 3 full swings to drive a ball somewhere. The math bears it out. 

39 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Has nothing to do with being insecure. For one, bunting is hard at the major league level. It ain't easy to place a bunt on 99mph high cheese or a 93 mph slider at your ankles. For another, even if you get the bunt down, there's a good chance you get thrown out. And, finally, it's a win for the defense. If you've got a slugger at the late and he drops a bunt, that's better him taking 3 full swings to drive a ball somewhere. The math bears it out. 

The concept that sports is just a math problem has essentially destroyed pro sports and baseball in particular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

The concept that sports is just a math problem has essentially destroyed pro sports and baseball in particular.

I don't disagree. Baseball was more interesting when pitchers went deeper into games, guys tried 100 steals a year, guys bunted, etc, even though all of that stuff actually was dumb. 

Edited by Tabe

Read a stat today:

Jacob DeGrom has allowed 0 or 1 runs in 101 of his 205 career starts. That's the most in MLB history through 205 starts. 5 out of 7 so far this year. 1.66 ERA and 0.55 WHIP. 

Edited by Tabe

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I always feel pretty privileged when I have inside information regarding MLB shit. Official scorers aren't thrilled with the pitch clock and the thought is more than half the parks are going to always fuck it up. For example, they've done test runs where they're supposed to start the clock as soon as the singing in the 7th inning is finished and again, half of the parks got it right. That doesn't even factor in being late on the draw in other innings. For the most part, they tend to think it will work out fine in the long run.

The other note is that they have been receiving an email reminder every Saturday about this stuff and it still gets messed up.

I cannot wait to see what the Red Sox guy does when Sawamura next year is taking his 5 fucking minutes between pitches, it's gonna be great comedy

• Like 2

Tony La Russa met with reporters today and while not disclosing what his exact health issue is, he did say that he had a pacemaker inserted.

La Russa admitted it was "uncertain" if he would return to the dugout

Retired Red Sox pitcher Anthony Varvaro, who had become a Port Authority Police officer, was killed early this morning in a car accident in New Jersey. 

He was on his way to work at today's memorial services.

He was 37.

So the Dodgers celebrated clinching a playoff berth yesterday.

Ooops... turns out they didn't

Major League Baseball announced an internal error in determining the Dodgers' postseason clinching scenarios, meaning Los Angeles still has a magic number of one to secure a playoff spot as of Monday morning.

The Dodgers (96-43), who enter Monday with a commanding 20-game lead atop the National League West, thought they had clinched their 10th consecutive postseason berth with Sunday's 11-2 victory over the San Diego Padres. Manager Dave Roberts led a postgame toast with sparkling wine, and the players and staff were given caps with the postseason logo.

MLB said Monday, however, that it failed to account for a potential scenario in which the Padres (77-64) overtake the Dodgers for the NL West title and Los Angeles finishes in a three-way tie at 96-66 with the Milwaukee Brewers and St. Louis Cardinals. Milwaukee would win the NL Central in that scenario while St. Louis would win the wild-card tiebreaker with Los Angeles based on head-to-head results this season.

The Dodgers can officially clinch a postseason spot with a victory Monday over the Arizona Diamondbacks. Los Angeles also could secure the division title as early as Tuesday.

When MLB issued its clinching scenarios ahead of Sunday's games, it was using the Dodgers' 4-3 record against the Brewers as a head-to-head tiebreaker and was not factoring the possibility of a three-team tie.

The Dodgers would need to lose their final 23 games while the Brewers (75-66) would need to win their last 21 games in order for both clubs to finish 96-66.

• Haha 1

Trout's streak is over as he went 0/3 today.  

On the other hand, Aaron Judge is now at 4 away from Maris as he hit 56 & 57 tonight.  

I cannot wait to hear the crawl-out-of-your-skin cringe line that John Sterling has on deck. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I cannot wait to hear the crawl-out-of-your-skin cringe line that John Sterling has on deck. 

With any luck, it’ll be a situation resulting in a lengthy replay decision (line drive hits the top of a wall and is initially ruled in play; fan interference) that takes all the momentum out of the call.

Can’t you just imagine ”Line drive to left-center… did it…off the…did it go out? Judge stops at second and the Yankees are going to take a look at it before challenging.” in all the tribute videos and highlights?

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Hamhock said:

With any luck, it’ll be a situation resulting in a lengthy replay decision (line drive hits the top of a wall and is initially ruled in play; fan interference) that takes all the momentum out of the call.

Can’t you just imagine ”Line drive to left-center… did it…off the…did it go out? Judge stops at second and the Yankees are going to take a look at it before challenging.” in all the tribute videos and highlights?

That would really be modern baseball (the sport, not the band) in a nutshell.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine was from New York, but he was a Pirates fan.

His nostalgia for Sterling's voice made him tune into satellite radio to the Yankees broadcast because he could not live without Sterling's stellar calls.

There was a woman that would come on for a few innings that was just as cringe inducing (to me).

I would rather listen to Harry Carey's worst on repeat than listen to Sterling.

Hell, Joe Nuxhall was more coherent than Sterling.