DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

45 minutes ago, Tabe said:

In practical terms, what does this mean? 

In looking around it seems like the MLBPA is just seeking more support as it takes on adding all the minor league players. Beyond that - it doesn't seem like much would change

Aligning the players with the AFL-CIO could be a boost to other unions that represent workers in the sports industry, such as television crews and stadium vendors, many of whom are already unionized at numerous ballparks.

But joining the larger organization doesn't mean that the players would refuse to play in stadiums where other workers might go on strike.

Clark said the MLBPA's current contract does not give players the right to refuse to cross picket lines. But given the public attention athletes receive, the potential of having players simply voice support for striking workers — or perhaps join them on picket lines — could make a difference in the dynamics of negotiations, Schuler said.

For further context - the NFLPA is already a part of the AFL-CIO

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 9:30 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, I posted the one I did because lolmets more than anything else.  

ALSO... speaking of lolmets.   They have now officially blown the 10 1/2 game lead they had on the NL East in June. 

Cindy has been patiently waiting for this for the last 3 months. "But look at their record!" "It doesn't matter, they're going to choke!" Her Eeyore-like Mets fatalism rivals @RIPPA and the Giants.

It is expected that tomorrow (Friday) will be the day all the rule changes MLB has been testing out in the minors will be approved for the bigs next year

• Pitch Clock
  • Bans on Shifts
  • Larger Bases

Here is the full list

The rules changes are expected to pass and include the following:

• A 15 second pitch clock with the bases empty and a 20 second clock with runners on.

• Two disengagements from the rubber - which includes pick-off attempts -- per plate appearance.

• A requirement by hitters to be in the batter's box and 'alert' with 8 seconds to go on the clock. Hitters are allowed one timeout per plate appearance.

• Only two infielders will be allowed on each side of second base with all four required to be on the dirt (or inner grass).

• Infielders cannot position themselves on the outfield grass before the pitch is thrown.

• Bases will increase in size from 15 square inches to 18.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34551389/major-league-baseball-competition-committee-vote-rules-changes-friday-eye-quickening-pace-play-sources-say has more details

53 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I'm actually excited to see the pitch clock at work, though I'm super curious how much it actually gets enforced.

In the game I watched, it was basically invisible. By that I mean was no enforcement needed, the game just moved faster. I cannot imagine MLB being like that, at least for awhile. Hopefully the umpires are instructed to be strict as heck - and get backed up when players or managers complain. The players will quickly adjust. 15/20 seconds is a really long time if you're not farting around. 

• Like 2

To go back to the MLB/AFL-CIO thing for a second - Trade Rumors shared this Twitter thread from a Labor Attorney that at least shows some of the more... mundane (for lack of a better word) benefits that players now have access to (again - it more seems like a move to support minor leaguers than things folks in the majors would need)

9 hours ago, Tabe said:

In the game I watched, it was basically invisible. By that I mean was no enforcement needed, the game just moved faster. I cannot imagine MLB being like that, at least for awhile. Hopefully the umpires are instructed to be strict as heck - and get backed up when players or managers complain. The players will quickly adjust. 15/20 seconds is a really long time if you're not farting around. 

Went to a minor league game last weekend, and oh man did the pitch clock make things so much more enjoyable. Especially when you've got two kids with you who aren't super into baseball.

• Like 2

Thread as the kids would say

TLDR:

• It works
  • The Clock operator should really really really be an ump (or former ump)
  • The 2 Disengagement Rule is needed because that was the biggest loophole pitchers found
  • Should also lead to more stolen base attempts
  • Like with all rule changes - players will bitch at first

And all the rules have been officially approved

Major League Baseball passed a sweeping set of rules changes it hopes will fundamentally overhaul the game, voting Friday to implement a pitch clock and ban defensive shifts in 2023 to hasten the game's pace and increase action.

The league's competition committee, composed of six ownership-level representatives, four players and one umpire, approved a pitch clock of 15 seconds with empty bases and 20 seconds with runners on, a defensive alignment that must include two fielders on each side of the second-base bag with both feet on the dirt as well as rules limiting pick-off moves and expanding the size of bases.

The vote was not unanimous. Player representatives voted no on the pitch-clock and shift portions of changes, sources told ESPN.

MLBPA released a statement saying they gave MLB "feedback" on the changes to the pitch clock and shift and that MLB "was unwilling to address the areas of concern" hence why they were against everything but the bigger bases

8 minutes ago, Log said:

What's the argument for bigger bases? I don't get that one.

Size of bases will increase to 18-inch squares from 15, promoting safety — first basemen are less likely to get stepped on — but also boosting stolen bases and offense with a slightly decreased distance.

• Like 1

And multiple studies have proven the "base running injuries have decreased" thing since using them.

Also besides the first baseman thing - there are less collisions on tag plays, etc...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Log said:

What's the argument for bigger bases? I don't get that one.

As someone who plays recreational softball, every injury I have ever seen is because of a collision on a base. I'm sure I'll see an injury because of a comebacker at some point,  but having larger bases would help a whole lot. 

I'm for all of the changes,  baseball was taken over by nerds about 20 years ago and the game has been getting less and less entertaining ever since. No one really hits for average,  no one steals bases,  the shift has eliminated all the fun defensive plays,  and the game is far less fun. They gave them time to fix it on their own,  but they chose math over fun and something has to be done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

the shift has eliminated all the fun defensive plays

There's nothing more fun than dropping down a bunt to stop a stupid shift but for some reason we need a freaking rule because dudes are too insecure to do it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CSC said:

There's nothing more fun than dropping down a bunt to stop a stupid shift but for some reason we need a freaking rule because dudes are too insecure to do it.  

I agree. The problem wasn't the shift as much as it was about playing in a way that let something as simple as the shift be effective. It's the adherence to statistics even when the statistics aren't relative to the situation. Bunting is low percentage,  so nobody bunts... even when no one is there to field the bunt. These rules only exist because no one was willing to try anything that wasn't decided by a calculator. I understand why the statistical revolution happened and for the most part I agree that you should play in the smartest way possible,  but they needed to add some variables to their equations to keep the games fun. 

I suspect they might want to clarify the whole "two feet on the infield dirt" thing since 

1) some people will take it to prohibit playing in on bunts (they'll likely say you can play on the infield grass but not the outfield grass)

2) the shape and amount of infield dirt isn't standard from one park to the next

the main driver in offensive numbers going down isn't shifts, it's strikeouts but they can't really figure out any good idea to reduce the number of strikeouts (either because the ideas are bad, or because they're not gonna do strike challenges because the umps instinctively calling outside pitches strikes would have their feelings hurt)

• Like 1

I don't particularly like the idea of larger bases, unless they increased the size outward from the base path & home plate. The two sides on the outside edges could be increased by 2 inches, instead of increasing 1 inch on all four sides. That way the offense wouldn't be given any advantage. Thou, it would mean that 1st & 3rd would overlap the foul line slightly.

Edited by Trebor