DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

He was square in the battersbox. . . What a horseshit call.

LOL. Batter's box or not, you're not allowed to stick your leg out to get hit. He didn't just not move, he moved into the pitch. Intentionally. 

Put another way - after Rizzo planted his right foot, his knee was multiple inches inside the box. When he got hit, it had moved toward the plate (and pitch) a good 6-8". The overhead view makes it really, really obvious what he did. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I can see what the umpire saw but it goes against common sense that during a random 3rd inning at bat that a batter's brain would be pre-programmed (since you can't really think that fast) "if this ball is close I'm gonna stick out my leg and get hit by it."

... they aren't jumping out in front of baseballs flying at them just to get one free base.

There's about 7000 plays this season where someone does something insane like throwing their body against a wall, jumping into the crowd, or diving face first into the ground, all to get that one more out, that one more hit, that one more tiny advantage, in search of a win.  

Professional baseball players, and just pro athletes in general are psychotically competitive.   They have, at the Majors level, 100% control of their body and know exactly how to make something look accidental when it's intentional.  So, in a game against a good team, when you're in the middle of a mid-season funk, tied up and nothing's happened offensively... Yes, Rizzo will absolutely make the calculation that he can jut his hips forward just a tad and get a base.  In his mind, I guarantee you, he's thinking 'get on base, and I will score'.  

Is he mad?  Sure is.  Getting hit by a baseball going ~90mph sucks massively.  But that ump makes the 100% correct call in that situation, he did nothing to get out of the way of the pitch. In fact, he sticks a meatier portion of his leg out so the ball doesn't careen off his knee or something that could legitimately hurt him.  

It's like travelling in the NBA, it happens so often now, it has to be egregious to get called.  In my opinion, that's what you got here. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Raziel said:

As a Yankee fan,

Yeah, Rizzo was trying to sneak his way on and the Ump was 100% right to not give him the base.

As a Cubs fan, I watched Rizzo do this what felt like every game. Dude knew he has a big ass body and can take a hit and so he got hit all the time. More than any other player I can think of because he always be right on top of the plate. So part of me wonders if the ump was like, "nah, not this time Riz."

I will never not love Rizzo. Miss that guy.

The Braves signed Michael Harris to 8 year extension, $72 million extension

• 2023 & 2024 - $5 million
  • 2025 & 2026 - $8 million
  • 2027 - $9 million
  • 2028 & 2029 - $10 million
  • 2030 - $12 million

There are two club option years too ($15 million for 2031 and $20 million for 2032)

Braves love giving long contracts to players within a year or two of calling them up, guess we'll see if the strategy keeps working. Although it does confirm (to me) my belief that Swanson is gone, the Braves current mindset is to lock up early, not compete with free agency.

Also a reminder that fucking players over on the playing time isn't limited to service time manipulation

Oakland released Elvis Andrus today

His contract had a vesting option for next season if he reached 550 PAs. He was on pace to do so. After not being able to trade him at the deadline, Oakland started cutting his playing time (under the guise of PLAYING YOUNGER PLAYERS~! loophole that allows the teams to always avoid grievances)

Andrus bitched about it publicly and now is out the door.

If he clears waivers, any future team would sign him to a new deal that wouldn't have the vesting option.

• Like 1

If Oakland had Ohtani they would probably sit him if playing him meant they had to pay him a couple hundered thousand more bucks.

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2

And in a move that I have been waiting for for awhile - the Yanks have put Clay Holmes on IL

While not officially said - I am assuming Aroldis Chapman will go back to closer... if the Yanks ever have a lead again

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also a reminder that fucking players over on the playing time isn't limited to service time manipulation

Oakland released Elvis Andrus today

His contract had a vesting option for next season if he reached 550 PAs. He was on pace to do so. After not being able to trade him at the deadline, Oakland started cutting his playing time (under the guise of PLAYING YOUNGER PLAYERS~! loophole that allows the teams to always avoid grievances)

Andrus bitched about it publicly and now is out the door.

If he clears waivers, any future team would sign him to a new deal that wouldn't have the vesting option.

My guy, you're putting up a .673 OPS. You don't get to complain about playing time. 

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Yusei Kikuchi has seemingly been moved to the bullpen, so nobody can accuse Toronto's front office of not spending on relief pitching. 

I feel bad for the guy because he's clearly trying and it's just not happening, but Jesus Christ he absolutely cannot start again this year. I'm not sure if hiding him in the buillpen really solves anything but it can't hurt at this point.

Hey the Blue Jays won a game today, holy shit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

If Oakland had Ohtani they would probably sit him if playing him meant they had to pay him a couple hundered thousand more bucks.

*points to his avatar and mutters something about how little baseball has actually changed over a century*

• Haha 1

Dodgers sideline reporter David Vassegh took a ride down Bernie Brewer's slide and, well:

Fractured his hand, wrist, and six of his ribs.  And got laughed at by the announce team.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently Dellin Betances has decided to retire

Man for about 5 years there Betances was one of the elite relievers in baseball. He could have been a closer for like 26 other teams. But when he fell off, he dropped like Wile E. Coyote.