DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

The Rays are scared of ghosts and it brings me so much joy

https://nypost.com/2022/08/09/rays-yandy-diaz-worried-about-ghosts-in-allegedly-haunted-hotel/

Several Rays aren’t exactly enjoying their stay at the historic Pfister Hotel in downtown Milwaukee.

The landmark hotel, which was built in 1893, has garnered a reputation for seemingly being haunted by paranormal spirits. And while many Tampa Bay players don’t mind crashing at the eccentric location during their two-game series against the Brewers, others are quite spooked.

Yandy Diaz, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound third baseman, headlines the list of those most afraid of ghosts possibly lurking in the shadows. His teammates did little to ease his concerns, taping a cartoon ghost to the front of Diaz’s locker ahead of Sunday’s game in Detroit alongside the Spanish word cuidado, or “watch out.”

Diaz flirted with the idea of staying in his own hotel following Tuesday’s contest in Milwaukee, but was promised a room in the newest tower of the vintage Pfister that was guaranteed to be ghost-free.

“All I want is (to not) have any ghosts in my room,” Diaz said via team interpreter Manny Navarro, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Diaz isn’t the only player who considers the hotel to be haunted. Outfielder Roman Quinn claimed to hear of multiple stories of paranormal “encounters” from his former Phillies teammates, including outlines of nonexistent beings on beds, disappearing figures in the halls and clothes mysteriously moving around rooms.

Ji-Man Choi is no stranger to dealings with ghosts, either, as his biography in the Rays media guide proudly states how he’s terrified of the beings and “believes to have had many encounters with them, including hugs and whispers.”

“If I see a ghost I’ll say ‘Hi’ to him,” Choi joked last week through interpreter Daniel Park.

Pitcher Ryan Yarbrough, for one, is not willing to buy into the haunted rumors.

“I’m not too concerned,” Yarbrough said. “I’m not saying I don’t believe in any of that. I just feel like if you don’t try to overly concern yourself with it, maybe bad things won’t happen.

“But no, I think it’s fine. I think certain guys are very intrigued and some guys want nothing to do with it. So I’m just trying to be even-keeled about it. But Yandy is the guy.”

That being said, the 30-year-old lefty wasn’t ready to rule out some antics by his teammates.

“I’m sure something will happen, I’m not sure what,” Yarbrough said. “We’ve got some funny guys on our team.”

Misses the rest of this season, ineligible for the postseason and the start of next season too (48 games this season, the remaining 32 next year)

Per Tatis

"It turns out that I inadvertently took a medication to treat ringworm that contained Clostebol," Tatis said. "I should have used the resources available to me in order to ensure that no banned substances were in what I took. I failed to do so.

The AL record, after all these years, is still 61. Of course that'll be called the "clean" record by some when you could just call it the AL record and not have to bother with accusing 3 different players of having tainted numbers

Also the phrase PED holds up more in some other sports than it does in baseball

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Misses the rest of this season, ineligible for the postseason and the start of next season too (48 games this season, the remaining 32 next year)

Per Tatis

Even if I give him the benefit of the doubt, which is my general preference, the number of times this is used as an excuse is so dumb. Yes, sometimes we take medicine where we don't know literally everything in it if a doctor tells us to, but if my employer gave me a list of 100 things I wasn't allowed to ingest which would be tested you'd be damn sure I'd be careful before taking any medication.

Also, if you are a professional athlete, and you have a team doctor, I don’t know if I would take any thing with a prescription without them signing off on them. And least then you have plausible deniability and or a scape goat.

Couple other thing re Tatis

He is now ineligible to play for the Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Classic

If the Padres make the playoffs, those games count toward the suspension so it would reduce how many games he misses next season

There are topicals with that stuff in it, but nothing that treats fungal stuff that I can find. Unless the prescriber is a moron. It also would not help heal his injury either if he'd used that excuse. 

Edited by Ryan

I don’t know enough about what Tatis took and the rules and such to say whether or not his suspension is fair. What I do know, is that my annoying-ass sister-in-law is a Padres fan, so I find this news to be HILARIOUS!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

There are topicals with that stuff in it, but nothing that treats fungal stuff that I can find. Unless the prescriber is a moron. It also would not help heal his injury either if he'd used that excuse. 

There’s clotrimazole, which is a corticosteroid used to treat fungal infections, but am unsure if it would set off a positive test. How sensitive are the tests? I’d assume he would have to be covered in ringworm lesions in order to use enough to fail a drug test 

They're very sensitive I believe.
"Chlorodehydromethyltestosterone (Oral Turinabol), combining the chemical structures of clostebol and metandienone, was widely used in the East German state-sponsored doping program"

Clostebol acetate would be the ointment form if they were using it for anything like eczema and other stuff, but it's definitely not an anti-fungal.