DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

20 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'm sure it was the result of Whit carefully doing his "research" and nothing else.

Yeah. He researched how much it sucks to not get paychecks. ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Miguel Cabrera has started to hint he might retire at the end of the season

Detroit Tigers great Miguel Cabrera for the first time on Thursday said this may be the final season in his Hall of Fame career.

Cabrera, whose battled health issues in 2022, had previously stated he wanted to play through the end of the 2023 season, when he's owed $32 million in the final fully guaranteed year of his contract.

"I've got to talk to my agent, I've got to talk to the GM, I'm got to talk to everybody [to] see what's going to be the plan for next year," Cabrera told reporters ahead of Detroit's game against the visiting Tampa Bay Rays. "Right now we don't know. We're focused on today. We're going to go day by day and see what happens. I don't think about next year. I'm thinking about trying to finish healthy this year."

The 39-year-old said he has been playing through knee pain in recent weeks and will be limited to just every other day during Detroit's six-game homestand.

"You've got to understand your body," Cabrera said. "I understand my body and I understand my position now on this team. I'm OK. I'm going to keep working. Every time they give me a chance to play I'm going to go out there and do my best. That's the bottom line. That's what matters. And it's an opportunity for young guys here to get more at-bats and see what we've got for next year."

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Tungsten Arm O'Doyle is looking on from heaven, smiling.

At this point they might as well lean into it and have an Akron Groomsmen night. Mock up some old timey jerseys, slap some handlebar mustaches on Ohtani and Trout and have some fun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I love Miggy for all he's done in Detroit but he's been stealing money for 6 years. He basically quit doing conditioning - at least of the kind you'd expect from a serious athlete - and now pretends to be baffled that that his knee or whatever hurts. 

I was at the first game of the Red Sox/Royals series last night, which was notable mostly as being the first time Eric Hosmer played at Kauffman Stadium since his last game as a Royal in 2017.

It being Boston, and Boston not actually paying much of the salary, who knows how long Hosmer will stick around there. But from watching him practically every game for 6 years (2011-2017), I suspect his ability to hit the ball to left field might serve him better in Boston than in most ballparks. Not saying he would necessarily turn those drives into monster doubles, but maybe some balls would turn from outs to singles. But the balls that Hosmer gets to the outfield are usually CF/LF, which is a bit unusual for a left-handed batter.

Also, Hosmer will hit a lot of groundballs to the second baseman. And he already dove into first base headfirst last night.

Hosmer would have won an MVP for one of the 2015 postseason series if his postseason included more dinky singles. Hosmer during that postseason did pretty much nothing with nobody on base, but he did a lot of stuff when somebody else was on base. Ask Mets fans about that. Clutch is more of a habit than a skill, but if Hosmer is in that habit when the Red Sox are good, he could be a lot more fun than expected for a guy who was essentially traded to get him away from his last team.

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Somebody reminded Cabrera that he'll make $32m next year so now he's decided he's not retiring. 

• Thanks 1

The Braves have tired of Ian Anderson being stinky and optioned him to AAA

Gonna be interesting to see if he rights himself enough to get on the post season roster

The Dodgers/Padres series might be another case for how trading for a guy doesn't mean your team is gonna win a bunch immediately. Sometimes teams that stand-pat actually do surprisingly well out of the break because they're already good and they indirectly got the vote of confidence that they're good enough to make a run.

Now if the Padres don't feast on the Nationals and Marlins in the next few weeks, then that would not be helpful.

It appears Jason Heyward has played his last game as a Cub

GM Jed Hoyer said today that Heyward is unlikely to return from his injury this season and that they will release him at the end of the season (Heyward has one more year left on his stupid contract)

They are going to keep him through the year "due to his respected clubhouse presence"

Jason Heyward turns 33 tomorrow. He's younger than Whit Merrifield but Heyward debuted in the majors 6 years before Whit.

So it would be kinda wild to think of someone that young retiring.

Also kinda wild the young outfielders who peaked young coming out of Atlanta

Andruw Jones before his age 30 season (1996-2006): 267/345/505, 31 HRs per year and 9 Gold Gloves

Andruw Jones in his age 30 second and after (2007-2012): 214/314/420, 15 HRs per year and 1 Gold Glove

Jason Heyward before becoming a Cub: 268/353/431, 16 HRs a year and 3 Gold Gloves

Heyward as a Cub: 245/323/377, 9 HRs a year and 2 Gold Gloves

Heyward was 26 when he signed with the Cubs and he arguably peaked around 23-25.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It appears Jason Heyward has played his last game as a Cub

GM Jed Hoyer said today that Heyward is unlikely to return from his injury this season and that they will release him at the end of the season (Heyward has one more year left on his stupid contract)

They are going to keep him through the year "due to his respected clubhouse presence"

Such a horrible contract - as I said at the time. $23m/yr in 2016 for a guy putting up a 112 OPS+. I don't care if he was twice as good as Willie Mays defensively, $23m was way too much for that offense. Of course, he has even come close to even that in any season more than 20 minutes long. 

On 8/5/2022 at 11:34 AM, Pete said:

At this point they might as well lean into it and have an Akron Groomsmen night. Mock up some old timey jerseys, slap some handlebar mustaches on Ohtani and Trout and have some fun.

Count me in! #justakidfromakron