DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That is the 2nd fastest to 200 HRs behind only Ryan Howard

I dare say nothing can go wrong with Judge’s career now!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

To add to that - yet again they aren’t gonna trade any of their impending FA

Bud Black had some wacky quote where he tried to imply all their players were Rolls Royces and you never give up a Rolls Royce 

They are Rolls Royces:

a4476de5-rolls-royce-wrecked--1024x555.j

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

I dare say nothing can go wrong with Judge’s career now!

I was going to make a pithy comment about Strike outs but I went and looked at Baseball Reference and hooooo boy. 

Reid Detmers got an immaculate inning yesterday.  

This is the 3rd immaculate inning against Texas... this year. For context, there have been four (4) total pitched this season. 

Some playoff contender will sign him as a bench bat because he has "post season experience"

Also, holy hell at that haul for Josh Hader. I didn't even know the Brewers were selling.

Edited by BrianS81177

5 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Also, holy hell at that haul for Josh Hader. I didn't even know the Brewers were selling.

They technically aren't - it more comes across as reading the room properly (for their club philosophy)

It’s a massive get for the Padres, and while it’s a genuine surprise to see Milwaukee move its closer while holding a three-game lead in the National League Central, the reasoning behind the trade is fairly straightforward. Hader’s $11MM salary figures to jump north of $15MM next season in his final year of club control, and a generally budget-conscious Brewers club may not be willing to dedicate $15-17MM to a single reliever when that represents such a notable portion of the overall payroll.

The Brewers, of course, could have held Hader into the winter and made him available at that point, but the allure of landing Hader for multiple postseason pushes undeniably allowed them to seek a higher price right now. To that end, they’re acquiring a high-end closer of their own in Rogers, who — like Hader — has struggled of late but has an excellent track record spanning several seasons. Milwaukee also adds a high-octane arm in Lamet, albeit one that’s been plagued by injuries, and two of the Padres’ top ten prospects in Gasser and Ruiz, which breathes some much-needed life into a farm system that is not viewed as a particularly strong one.

2 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Ken Waldichuck, JP Sears, Luis Medina and Cooper Bowman is who the Yankees gave up. Not too familiar with any of them personally but maybe Rippa knows of them?

Sears had been decent in his few appearances with the big club

Waldichuck was arguably the best pitching prospect they had - the thought was the Yanks might even use him at some point this season. Knowing Oakland - they will fuck with his service time and not bring him up till Sept of next season.

Medina was technically a Top 10 prospect for the team (as in he was #10 on some lists)

Cooper Bowman is a body who is at least two years away from the bigs

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Cubs confuse me

There's nothing that should confuse you. My team really fucking sucks and there's more interest in them operating like the midwest A's or Marlins than a team that has mountains of cash. The Ricketts got their championship and they have little to no interest in actually competing unless they have a year where the team gets lucky and goes on a run. If that happens, I guarantee that the following season they'd just be sellers again.

The Ricketts shouldn't be allowed to own a baseball club.

I'm now waiting for the eventual trades of Happ and Contreras for next to nothing. This team is fucking worthless.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Well they didn't give up their top prospect, but that's not bad.

Side note on this - apparently the Nats didn't like the Yanks package for Juan Soto because they (the Nats) are the outlier and don't think Anthony Volpe is very good

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Side note on this - apparently the Nats didn't like the Yanks package for Juan Soto because they (the Nats) are the outlier and don't think Anthony Volpe is very good

Do the Nats' scouts even look at the splits?