DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Yankees don't play in Toronto again till the end of September. So I'll take that as code for he'll get the J&J or fake proof of vax if he has to cross the border in the playoffs. 

Yeah - I would lean on this being this case.

That being said - there are still like 6 weeks for his new teammates to work him over.

I mean they convinced Aaron Judge, the big lug, to get it

Only watched a couple episodes of the Derek Jeter Captain series on ESPN and while the details are great Derek is so dry and dull that it is a chore to go through.  I cant tell if he is holding back to protect himself or he is just that way.  Maybe it will pick up.  

The Reds traded Tyler Naquin and Phillip Diehl to the Mets for some prospects last night. I’m guessing their sell-off has begun?

Guessing Castillo is probably next, but from what I’ve been reading, it sounds like pretty much most everyone (except for Votto) is available and they’re heading for 100 or more losses.

Like I’ve said previously, I haven’t kept up with baseball at all this year so besides Castillo, Mahle, Drury, and Moustakas, who else would be on the trade block for them?

Castillo is the best starting pitcher known to be on the market and it would stunning if the Reds don't trade him

Votto isn't going anywhere due to his contract. The same with Moustakas. (I mean they would fucking love for Moose Tacos to leave but to do so they would have to take back an equally bad contract)

The other names I have seen mentioned being moved - besides Mahle and Drury are Tommy Pham, Donovan Solano and Kyle Farmer (though Farmer is to a much lesser degree)

Speaking of trades - the Red Sox have told Xander Bogaerts that they have "no intentions" of trading him

So either they are lying to him or they are idiots

Well that's just acknowledging the reality that he'd rather literally swim back to Japan than sign another contract with them.  

LA of A must (and should) be asking for everything that's not 100% nailed down from anyone that asks.

• Like 1

Noelvi Marte is the crown jewel of this for the Reds. He was Mariners top prospect and #18 overall on MLBs last prospect rankings. Plays SS now but will likely switch to 3B. 25+ HR power potential. I've seen him play a lot in High A and he's good. Probably a little slow to stick at SS, and I don't think quite enough power for 1B (unless he bulks up) which is why I think ultimately he moves to 3B.

Edwin Arroyo is another SS. A switch hitter (he's also ambidextrous). Was tearing up the california league. He's only 18 though so likely still a few years away.

Levi Stoudt tore up High A last season but was struggling a bit in Double A this year. I saw him run his fastball up to 98/99 when he pitched in High A (the team is like 15 minutes away from my house). He's already had Tommy John surgery though, but if his arm holds up he could be a guy you see starting for the Reds in 2023.

Andrew Moore I don't really know a lot about since he pitched in the California league. I don't recall his name being mentioned during any talk of exciting Mariner prospects so my guess is he's probably got a 5th starter/bullpen ceiling.

If I remember the prospect rankings before the trade, Marte was #1, Arroyo #3 and Stoudt #10

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

Aaron Judge hit two HRs last night (#s 40 and 41)

He is 1st player to reach 40 HRs this season and only the third Yankee to reach 40 HR prior to August

It was his 9th multi HR this season which sets the Yankee franchise record for most in a season

It's one heck of a contract year

Here's a hypothetical for you all. You're a GM. Your team is in last place. The trade deadline is a few days away. You have a 37 year old closer who is on an expiring contract and is having a very solid season. What do you do?

If you answered "give him a 2 year extension for 19 million dollars" then congratulations you are apparently qualified to be GM of the Colorado Rockies.

• Haha 2

To add to that - yet again they aren’t gonna trade any of their impending FA

Bud Black had some wacky quote where he tried to imply all their players were Rolls Royces and you never give up a Rolls Royce 

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To add to that - yet again they aren’t gonna trade any of their impending FA

Bud Black had some wacky quote where he tried to imply all their players were Rolls Royces and you never give up a Rolls Royce 

Compared to Bud Black's playing career, they practically are.

Edited by Contentious C