DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Dingers tonight.  ASG tomorrow.  

And then the Juan Soto Sweepstakes~ begins.  I'm ready for some team (hi metropolitans) to trade away all 10 of their top prospects for him. 

And with any luck something really insane happens like Mike Trout finally deciding he's had enough and wants out of the OC.

We'll see.

23 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And then the Juan Soto Sweepstakes~ begins.  I'm ready for some team (hi metropolitans) to trade away all 10 of their top prospects for him. 

He's not going anywhere this season. In the offseason... maybe

But certainly not to a division rival

If the All Star game is tied after 9 innings - it will be decided via a Home Run Derby (by the way - most players didn't realize this was the new rule)

Three players from each league would take three swings apiece to decide the final result. 

NL Reps

• Pete Alonso
  • Ronald Acuna Jr
  • Kyle Schwarber

AL Reps

• Julio Rodriguez
  • Ty France
  • Kyle Tucker

(Reps were selected by the respective managers of each All Star Team)

The rules of the tiebreaker, obtained by The Associated Press on Monday, state "the manager of each league's All-Star team shall select three players on his team's active roster who have agreed to participate in the All-Star tiebreaker, if applicable; one alternate player from his active roster who has agreed to participate in the All-Star tiebreaker, if necessary due to injury to a tiebreaker selection; an All-Star team coach who will throw batting practice during the All-Star tiebreaker; and an All-Star team bullpen catcher who will catch during the All-Star tiebreaker."

Play would be paused briefly after the ninth inning "to allow the grounds crew to reconfigure the field in an arrangement suitable for the tiebreaker."

In the tiebreaker, "each player can take an unlimited number of pitches without it counting against their swing total. Players on each team may hit in any order during the All-Star tiebreaker; provided, however, the batters from each team shall alternate."

As the visiting team, the AL would send a hitter to bat first, and players from each league would alternate.

"Once all six tiebreaker selections have completed their swings, the team with the most home runs shall be declared the winner of the All-Star Game," the rules state. "In the event the teams have the same number of home runs following the tiebreaker, each manager shall select one tiebreaker selection to participate in another round in which the tiebreaker selection from each team takes three swings to break the tie. The aforementioned head-to-head format will continue until the tie is broken."

The three batters picked by a league for the tiebreaker cannot be replaced unless injured or to protect player health.

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Trying to remember was the year Bryce Harper won the HR Derby also the year he left the Nationals at the end of the season?  If so then I guess the Nats have invented their own HR Derby curse 

Technically yes - Harper left for the Phillies that offseason

For context - the reason it was the Stros was because Oakland and Houston had just finished a series in Houston prior to the All Star Break

It also helped that Houston had 5 All Star reps along with Dusty Baker being the manager of the AL team

• Like 2

Im not sure how common the practice has become but apparently the Nats made Juan Soto fly commercial 

EDIT - for the record, this is coming directly from Scott Boras

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Im not sure how common the practice has become but apparently the Nats made Juan Soto fly commercial 

EDIT - for the record, this is coming directly from Scott Boras

That's pettiness borne out of him turning down that contract. That level of salt is funny to me. 

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

That's pettiness borne out of him turning down that contract. That level of salt is funny to me. 

Do they at least fly first class on a good airline? I'm cracking up at Soto flying coach on Spirit or Sun Country.

Arizona has DFA'ed Dallas Kuechel.  This is the second time this season he's been shown the door by a team.

I'm sure someone will give him an emergency start somewhere, but it definitely seems like he may be done.

Carlos Rodon hit the innings requirement (110 innings pitched) to vest his opt-out in his deal with the Giants

So he can choose to forgo the 2nd year of his deal which would pay him $22.5 million (He is making $21.5 this year)

Assuming his arm doesn't fall off (50/50 when talking about Rodon) he is definitely opting out

It should be noted that if the QO remains for next season - the Giants can tag him with it because the White Sox did not last year