DVDVR Message Board

Surprising credits thread

Swift

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not sure if this is surprising, but I'm finishing up Year of the Dragon and knew the lead nun looked familiar. Apparently it's Fabia Drake, whose earliest IMDB credit goes back to 1917 (!). Goddamn.

Oh my God this woman.  From the names of her roles it looks like she was already playing predominantly old ladies by the late 30s. Her final role was in VALMONT in 1989, which means she was playing old ladies for about 50 years.

That makes her one of the longest AWESOME OLD LADIES WHO WERE NEVER NOT OLD of all time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, piranesi said:

Oh my God this woman.  From the names of her roles it looks like she was already playing predominantly old ladies by the late 30s. Her final role was in VALMONT in 1989, which means she was playing old ladies for about 50 years.

That makes her one of the longest AWESOME OLD LADIES WHO WERE NEVER NOT OLD of all time.

Maggie Smith is jealous. 

Somehow I never realized till now that the guy on the wrong end of the gun here is Jimmie Dale Gilmore.  I've listened to the guy's music endlessly, seen him play live, even wound up sitting next to him in a bar one night.  Dunno how I never put two and two together.  I'd love to hear the story of how the hell he ended up playing that part, with zero prior acting credits.

lebowski_smokey.jpg

On 7/19/2016 at 1:48 AM, piranesi said:

This is probably not an actual surprise to most of you, but I never ever until i saw this supercut today

realized that Reg Barclay fro TNG was Dwight Shultz AKA "Howlin' Mad" Murdock from THE A-TEAM.

I also didn't know that he's basically every voice in every video game ever. 

If you have a certain voice and want to do voice acting you can punch your ticket for life.  Just look at how many people do multiple voice spots on cartoons and video games.  It is a printing press.

Tonight I was going to submit the name of Samm-Art Williams to the "One Hit Wonder Actors" thread after watching the Coen's Blood Simple (he played Meurice).

But then I pulled up his IMDB page and it turns out that he was actually a very prominent playwrite before appeaing in Blood Simple and in the 1990's made a shitload of money serving as executive producer of both Martin and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. 

He now teaches theater at the University of North Carolina.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 11:05 PM, Robert C said:

Somehow I never realized till now that the guy on the wrong end of the gun here is Jimmie Dale Gilmore.  I've listened to the guy's music endlessly, seen him play live, even wound up sitting next to him in a bar one night.  Dunno how I never put two and two together.  I'd love to hear the story of how the hell he ended up playing that part, with zero prior acting credits.

lebowski_smokey.jpg

It's been a few years, but as I recall the story is just that the Coens knew him via T Bone Burnett and they liked him so they put him in the movie.

When we were talking about how crazy GoT fans are and how they pretty much made Jack Gleeson quit acting, I completely forgot that crazy ass Joffrey was once the scared little boy that Rachel Dawes protects in the scene from Batman Begins where the Narrows goes apeshit when Ras's fear mist engulfs the district.

Poor Jack Gleeson.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably not a surprise to most but I haven't watched SCREAM 2 since it came out in theaters and it absolutely blew me away that Timothy Olyphant was in it and Jesus did he chew some scenery or what!

I remembered hating that character when I saw it and hating

Spoiler

how cheap it was that such a pointless side character was the killer like that was supposed to impress us.  Although I did like how hilarious Roseann lady's line "My motive isn't as 90s as Mickey's!" is now that the 90s was like two decades ago.

Also Portia de Rossi!

There were some really nice tense set pieces in the first 2/3 of the movie, but that ending was just absurd..and all the false moments of drama when important characters died only to turn up just fine later make the whole thing seem pointless.

There are so many fascinating ideas underlying Scream 2. Film theory, effects of violent media on society, the nature of sequels. So many layers of reality.

But the movie introduces all of this in the first act, kinda dance around them in the second, and then utterly ignores almost all of them in the third. Just squanders everything interesting in favor of the boilerplate sequel plot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 1:52 AM, Jerome Miller said:

A very young Keith David shows Mr. Rogers how quarters are collected from arcade machines.

MInd blown.  I totally remember as a kid that was the episode where I knew I had outgrown Mr. Rogers.  When Mr. Rogers has absolutely no idea how Donkey Kong worked and seemed mystified, it was just so wrong.  He was out of his bubble and he seemed so lost.  In retrospect, this segment was the real life Chauncey Gardner in Being There.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Brian Robbins, the guy who played the one "cool good-looking" nerd (Eric) on the show HEAD OF THE CLASS

This guy:

brian-robbins-GC.jpg

also directed NORBIT..

and also produced and directed GOOD BURGER and VARSITY BLUES....but most importantly he directed NORBIT.

I know this because I looked him up and I looked him up because he was the guest on the pilot (and only episode??) of what appears to be a teen girl talk show starring Sarah Michelle Gellar from 1989 that may or may not have ever aired anywhere but is somehow on Youtube. The world is an astounding and bizarre place.

Keeping the theme of people showing up in MST3K episodes who went on to do surprisingly awesome stuff.  This guy

mst3kxv3.jpg

From ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE went on to direct

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM (all three of them)

REAL STEEL

and four episodes of STRANGER THINGS. (he is also exec. producer on the show)

He is also the credited producer of ARRIVAL through his company 21 Laps Entertainment which means that this person

the hair douche guy who ran over Jon Mikl Thor's name was on the screen when Warren Beatty was reading the Best Picture nominations on Sunday evening.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/10/2016 at 4:43 AM, Brian Fowler said:

There are so many fascinating ideas underlying Scream 2. Film theory, effects of violent media on society, the nature of sequels. So many layers of reality.

But the movie introduces all of this in the first act, kinda dance around them in the second, and then utterly ignores almost all of them in the third. Just squanders everything interesting in favor of the boilerplate sequel plot.

The classroom scene and the Mickey character in general feel too forced. That's the problem.

Sorta feel like Billy summed it up in the first one with just one line: "Now, Sid. Movies don't created psychos. They just make psychos more creative." 

It craps on the obviously nonsense "violent movies make people insane" talking point.

But it acknowledges that glamorizing violence in film does have certain consequences sometimes. 

• 4 months later...

Andre Gregory, experimental theater director and the titular Andre of My Dinner With Andre, plays the warden of the cryo-prison who gets killed by Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Andre Gregory, experimental theater director and the titular Andre of My Dinner With Andre, plays the warden of the cryo-prison who gets killed by Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man.  

Now that is impressively random and surprising

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Now that is impressively random and surprising

He was in very few mainstream Hollywood movies, but he had roles in Demolition Man in 93 and The Shadow in 94, which makes you wonder what kind of bills he had to pay.