DVDVR Message Board

Surprising credits thread

Swift

I picked up the first season of Spenser: For Hire on DVD last week.  

The pilot is a adaptation of the Spenser novel "Promised Land," but after that the second episode is a pretty blatant rip-off of Bullitt and features Anthony Heald, the sleazy psychiatrist from Silence of the Lambs as a hotel security guard, while the third episode is about a pair of trust fund thrill killers, one of whom is Patricia Clarkson.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably not an actual surprise to most of you, but I never ever until i saw this supercut today

realized that Reg Barclay fro TNG was Dwight Shultz AKA "Howlin' Mad" Murdock from THE A-TEAM.

I also didn't know that he's basically every voice in every video game ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about posting this in In Memorium, but that seemed cruel.  I used to watch the McGlaughlin Group religiously every Sunday when I was a kid (Yes, I was that snooty little bastard). For some reason today I got wistful and googled to see when all of them had died because they were all old as shit and that was in the late 1980s.

Guys, They're mostly all still on the show. JOHN MCGALUGHLIN IS STILL HOSTING THT SHOW!!!!  That's fucking insane.

Sadly, the only old regular who died was Jack Germond and he was the only one I actually liked. He was so utterly annoyed at every question and it was like you were waking him up from a nap and he would grumble a few words and fall back asleep.  I loved that guy.

FF to 17:45 or so to hear Jack Germond warn in 1989 how racialized politics will destroy both parties eventually.  This is about as animated as he got:

The clip also features Pat Buchanan saying David Duke is okay, literally saying "The Klansman is a good candidate."  So, hey at least he's somehow still alive too I guess...?

This is probably not a surprise to anyone else but me, but I just watched the fifth Dirty Harry movie and was very surprised to see a young Jim Carrey in a scene that could not have been any more jim carrier. This was years before Carrey was famous.

Scene in question:

• Like 1

I remember seeing that in the theater (Yes, I paid to see fucking The Dead Pool) and my friend and I laughing our ass off that they replaced Axl Rose with this loser nobody (for some reason I didn't even recognize him from ONCE BITTEN which I had seen a hundred times on cable).

Can someone explain to me what happened to Kevin Spacey that made his face look better now than it did when he had a small part in WORKING GIRL in 1988?:

grid_cell_11933_1415042980_15.jpg

He's in his 20s here, but he looks barely younger than he does today.  It's not the hair.  I swear he has basically the same amount but if you asked me I'd say he had less then than now.  There's maybe more face? His face is better managed now?  Contained better?

"The Last of the Fast Guns"  is a B western with Jock Mahoney as a gunslinger searching for the missing brother of a railroad magnate, and features Paul Frees, the voice of Boris Badanov and countless Disney cartoons, as a fellow gunslinger, but on top of that, he also dubs three different Mexican characters, making no attempt to change his voice so you end up with all three sounding like a Hispanic Boris Badanov.

On 8/8/2016 at 5:06 PM, piranesi said:

I thought about posting this in In Memorium, but that seemed cruel.  I used to watch the McGlaughlin Group religiously every Sunday when I was a kid (Yes, I was that snooty little bastard). For some reason today I got wistful and googled to see when all of them had died because they were all old as shit and that was in the late 1980s.

Guys, They're mostly all still on the show. JOHN MCGALUGHLIN IS STILL HOSTING THT SHOW!!!!  That's fucking insane.

Sadly, the only old regular who died was Jack Germond and he was the only one I actually liked. He was so utterly annoyed at every question and it was like you were waking him up from a nap and he would grumble a few words and fall back asleep.  I loved that guy.

FF to 17:45 or so to hear Jack Germond warn in 1989 how racialized politics will destroy both parties eventually.  This is about as animated as he got:

The clip also features Pat Buchanan saying David Duke is okay, literally saying "The Klansman is a good candidate."  So, hey at least he's somehow still alive too I guess...?

So I posted that one week ago...and now we head on over to the In Memorium thread.

Stuart Margolin is probably best known as the wacky con artist "Angel" in The Rockford Files.

It was very jarring to see him as Ames Jainchill, an unapologetic right wing real estate developer and firearms enthusiast who sets Charles Bronson down the path of vigilantism in the original Death Wish.

He shows up in the Bronson vehicle The Stone Killer a year later as a Vietnam veteran turned cold blooded mercenary who is hired by an aging Mafia don to assasinate the leaders of the Five Families.

Kevin Spacey has a weave or hair implants or something last I saw him. He was very bald for awhile and then House of Cards he's got full hair all the time even off set. So, I'd imagine he had something done. Also he's thinner now.

Not sure if this is surprising, but I'm finishing up Year of the Dragon and knew the lead nun looked familiar. Apparently it's Fabia Drake, whose earliest IMDB credit goes back to 1917 (!). Goddamn.

• Like 1