DVDVR Message Board

Surprising credits thread

Swift

• 2 weeks later...

Fired up the ole Roku and headed over to Cryptic tv to see what random awesomeness was streaming only to see the last few minutes of a horror movie I'd never heard of with Ron Howard around the same time as AMERICAN GRAFFITI.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, LOVE GEORGE.

happy_mothers_day_love_george_movie_post

So when the credits start rolling I see the following:

Starring:

Patricia Neal

Cloris Leachman

Ron Howard

Bobby DARIN [!!!!!!!]

and then...

Produced and Directed by:

DARREN McGAVIN

MV5_BMTU2_MDYw_Mj_Q5_NV5_BMl5_Ban_Bn_Xk_

KOLCHAK PRODUCED AND DIRECTED THIS INSANE MOVIE WITH RON HOWARD AND CLORIS LEACHMAN AND BOBBY DARIN AND PATRICIA FREAKING NEAL!!!!

It was the only thing he ever directed apart from a couple of t.v. episodes.

• Like 1

I was watching a S2 episode of mission impossible where William Windom in a heroin dealer.

One of his British clients looked super familiar, but i couldmt figure it out until the credits.

It was John Orchard, who played Ugly John in early seasons of MASH.

and tonight, i was watching a s3 episode set in a fictional Middle easterm country and one of the bad guys was Mark Lenard.

tumblr_nqrpyrXsky1r2igm4o1_500.png

Bryan Cranston and Linda Hamilton in a 1986 episode of Murder, She Wrote.

It's OK, guys: The '80s were a tough time for everyone.

What does it say about Linda Hamilton that she was already doing guest appearances on Murder, She Wrote just two years after The Terminator?

BRYAN CRANSTON: WORKING 90S ACTOR ALERT

B-Movie TV streaming on Roku is running the 1996 Marc Singer (direct to video???) masterpiece STREET CORNER JUSTICE

To give you an idea of what this movie is like, Marc Singer is playing a "cop kicked off the force for beating up a rapist" and his character name is Mike Justus.

Mike

Fucking

Justus.

An example of the diaolog: 

- "When you're out on the street...and some punk is coming down on you....you come down on him harder...that may not be poltically correct...but that's the street...good night."

- "Good night, Mike Justus."

This movie has everyone:

Marc Singer

Tiny Lister

Soon Tek-Oh

Clint Howard (who, of course plays "Rapist")

and a huge running list of B movie and t.v. staples of the late 80s and 90s...

and there he is:

street_corner_justice_cranston.jpg

Playing the local priest with an absurd Irish accent who I'm pretty sure is going to end up being the big bad guy maybe.

I was watching a S2 episode of mission impossible where William Windom in a heroin dealer.

One of his British clients looked super familiar, but i couldmt figure it out until the credits.

It was John Orchard, who played Ugly John in early seasons of MASH.

and tonight, i was watching a s3 episode set in a fictional Middle easterm country and one of the bad guys was Mark Lenard.

Off topic, but Orchard was someone who did the relatively rare reverse-General Steele ... where Henry Morgan played a one off character on MASH and then came back to play regular character Col. Potter, Orchard played a recurring character and came back for a one-off, different character, an MP name Muldoon in a later episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Superbad again... never knew Dave Franco or Clark Duke were in that. And a few guys who went on to have featured roles in Pineapple Express had single scene gigs here (and most of the 'Seth's friends' guys from Knocked Up). It seems odd now that Emma Stone isn't billed higher in the credits or pictured on the cover of the DVD box or anything, but you forget that before she was getting that hottest young actress in Hollywood buzz, she was someone appearing in her first movie. Although you'd think they would have put an Emma Stone sticker on the cover, like they put Leonardo DiCaprio stickers on all the VHS copies of the Quick and the Dead (after Titanic got big).

• 1 month later...

I binged watched The Expanse over the weekend and when evil UN Secretary General Chrisjen Avasarala shows up in a scene I was like HOLY SHIT IT IS TALI'S AUNT~!  LASKSHMI-2 OF THE FUTURE WAR CULT IS ON MY TELEVISION~!

Mission impossible S6 episode Nerves

Crazy guy steals cannister of nerve gas (due to start leaking in 2 days) in hopes of getting his brother released from jail.

Crazy guy: Christopher George from Rat Patrol. (Married to series regular Lynda Day George)

Crazy guy's partner: Rafer Johnson, 1960 Olympic gold medalist and flag bearer

Crazy guy's moll: young Tyne Daly

fc63f4badd20f95eebec14037a3a4fe0_zpstnki

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeff Jarrett is in Spring Breakers? Since when?

Also, Jenna Coleman from Doctor Who is one of the girls on a date with Bucky at the start of the first Captain America.

• 2 months later...

The lead frothing-at-the-mouth racist driver (in a sea of frothing-at-the-mouth racist drivers) in Greased Lightning is Earl Hindman, who played Wilson on Home Improvement.

Goddamn, he was far from friendly in that movie.

Also, Richie Havens plays a mechanic.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:00 AM, Bald Henry said:

Young, skinny Bunk in The Money Pit

The weight gain from Money Pit to Hackers was tremendous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The opening credit sequence to the frankly adorably 80s Shelley Long vehicle TROOP BEVERLY HILLS which was a pretty huge flop, was done by John K. of Ren & Stimpy:

Also if you're not a total grumpus with no heart at all, you should probably watch TROOP BEVERLY HILLS if only for the clothes.  Yes, it's a movie were the little rich kids are the donwtrodden underdogs and the 1% reign triumphant while the hard-working tough lady is put in her place and forced to work retail as her punishment...BUT THE CLOTHES!!!!

993737a76efc40f09c31324215063735.jpg 

Look at Coach with the baggy suit with those shoulder pads. It's like from another eon.

and Mrs. Roper!!!!

and Pia Zadora!!!! which I only note because she was a pretty important thing on this board a week ago or so.

But seriously, this is a movie that exists in a bizarre alternate universe where no one is worried about anything.  I kind of don't understand how it could happen, it's a Pre-Gulf-War 1/Pre Rodney King bubble that should have never existed...but it's worth a visit on a Saturday night in June. It's like visiting a zoo where instead of animals there are various forms of cultural denial on display...and Stephanie Beacham is like 45 and hot as fuck.

• Like 2

I've just had my mind blown. Watching the IMDB No Small Parts bit on Joseph Gilgun and it showed him in Coronation Street. I totally remember that little punk kid but had absolutely no idea he grew up to be the Gilgun we know today.

I was watching The Long Goodbye the other day. In one scene, the loan shark bad guy forces his men to strip down in front of Elliott Gould. This giant behemoth is one of the cronies:

ahnold.jpg

• Like 1

Wait... in what world is Troop Beverly Hills a flop?

That movie is incredible and was on tv approximately 7,000 times over the course of my childhood.

Velda is pretty much the shittiest person in any movie ever (and went on to direct an awesomely random career of movies).

Jenny Lewis!  Harriett from Small Wonder!  Carla Gugino!  It's always Cookie Time in my heart.

• Like 3