DVDVR Message Board

Surprising credits thread

Swift

Not sure if "Guy with small role in big movie shows up in earlier small role in crappy B-movie" qualifies for this thread, but I got a chuckle out of spotting the guy who played Maynard (the pawn shop owner) in Pulp Fiction making an appearance as Roadrash in MST3K "classic" Hobgoblins.

I just saw that in the latest copy of Entertainment Weekly.  I was surpised.  I'm sure it paid well, but it seems like an odd project for Spurlock to take.

It could be the director version of doing a "blockbuster" movie to get his smaller stuff funded/approved

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Radio Days earlier. It's a beautiful little Woody Allen movie from 1987 that seems to go under the radar. In "early in their career" casting, it's got Larry David in one scene (only recognizable by voice, as it's shot from a distance), William H. Macy in a credited but no-line role, and I spotted a young Zach Grenier in an audience scene. Gonna have to add that to IMDB.

I saw Ted Levine in a bunch of stuff and then saw Silence of the Lambs after all that and was stunned to see that he played Buffalo Bill.

Zombieland comes to mind regarding this topic too. That's all I'll say because I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone else. I was really thankful no one spoiled that surprise for me.

Not "casting" per se, but Heather Graham appearing as a contestant on the game show version of Scrabble.

Made about one million times better since he's acting exactly like a young Jesse would have in that situation.

Watched Radio Days earlier. It's a beautiful little Woody Allen movie from 1987 that seems to go under the radar. In "early in their career" casting, it's got Larry David in one scene (only recognizable by voice, as it's shot from a distance), William H. Macy in a credited but no-line role, and I spotted a young Zach Grenier in an audience scene. Gonna have to add that to IMDB.

Those are all over the place in Woody Allen movies. From memory, Sigourney Weaver, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Walken and Beverly DiAngelo in Annie Hall; Michael O'Donohue, Karen Allen, Mark Linn Baker and Frances Conroy in Manhattan; Brent Spiner, Daniel Stern, Cynthia Gibb and Sharon Stone in Stardust Memories; Daniel Stern (again), Richard Jenkins, Lewis Black, Julia Louis Dreyfus and John Turturro in Hannah & Her Sisters; a young Seth Green playing the Woody avatar in Radio Days; and , of course, plentiful Wallace Shawn. And yes, Radio Days is a wonderful underrated film.

His IMDB is pretty awesome and terrible

From BILL AND TED he follows up with DON'T TELL MOM THE BABYSITTER'S DEAD

But then comes back with THE MIGHTY DUCKS which he follows up with the execrable MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS

Then he sort of comes back (at least gets a plum gig) with 101 DALMATIONS and follows that up with...HOLY MAN (Eddie Murphy at near the botto of the Murphy cycle). 

That seems to have done it.  What's left is as bizarre a series of credits as I've ever seen.  A combination of huge names and weirdly forgotten movies that one almost thinks are an internet prank:

MAN OF THE HOUSE: A Tommy Lee Jones comedy....let that sink in...a Tommy. Lee. Jones. comedy. without. Will. Smith.

ROCK STAR which I had utterly forgotten ever happened.

Life or Something Like It which somehow stars Angelina Jolie, Edward Burns and Tony Shaloub

and then nothing really until the Chaperone.  Like how do you organize all this from success to failure?  It's a baffling career.

I mean, there's really only two good movies here...maybe two debatable ones...and then so much big-name mess.

He did Critters as well, so that's another plus. But man, talk about peaking early. One good cheesy monster movie, one epic home run in Bill and Ted and then nothing but junk. I know lots of people love the Mighty Ducks, but it's not really any good at all. Bad New Bears perfected the kids sports genre and nothing else has come close...although I do have a soft spot for Little Giants.

Lets not remember Hughes that way, okay?  Thanks.

As for Rock Star:  Semi-bio pic on one of my favorite lesser known musicians!  Horribly butchered version of his life story!  Not very good, but not, you know, terrible.