DVDVR Message Board

Surprising credits thread

Swift

The crazed insane murderous gang-leader from the glorious Jack Hill epic SWICHBLADE SISTERS went on to be one of the main voice actors in the cutesy children's cartoon RAINBOW BRITE.

Admittedly she was deliberately cast in the former because her babyface and squeaky voice made her behavior even more shocking.  But it's still kind of funny.

Special note: Her name is Robbie Lee, which is an interesting coincidence since her acting style when playing psychotic gang chick is nearly identical to that of AJ Lee.  Seriously, if you need a template to grasp AJ's line deliveries...watch a Jack Hill movie.

Also one of the dude gang members is next-door-neighboor Bob from THAT 70S SHOW.

I wonder if they ever refrenced that an an inside joke, since the kids on the show were perfectly placed in time to have gone to see this at the drive-in.

Just saw a trailer for a movie called Getaway, and couldn't figure out out who the old, grizzled guy was. I figured it was either Anthony Hopkins, Jon Voight or Rutger Hauer. IMDB ended up telling me it was Voight, and I wondered what he'd been up to lately.

Y'know that Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 movie that's currently #1 in IMDB's Bottom 100? Well, not only was he in that. He also appeared in Baby Geniuses: Baby Squad Investigators and the upcoming Baby Geniuses and the Treasures of Egypt, and Baby Geniuses and the Space Baby.

You have to wonder how a person's career gets to that stage.

If you actually looked at his IMDB credits, you'll see that he went four years without an acting role (1986-1990).  He's worked regularly since then, but that four year 'dry spell' very clearly pushed him into "I'll do anything for money" territory.

That goes beyond the 'anything for a paycheck' trope, IMO.  Voight could do enough C-list TV work to support himself and not look this desperate. He has to be masochistic to take such a major role in the Baby Geniuses franchise.

Thing is he has been brilliant on Ray Donovan. Some actors, like Jay Thomas, for example, would kill for the "shitty" roles Voight is getting.

That goes beyond the 'anything for a paycheck' trope, IMO.  Voight could do enough C-list TV work to support himself and not look this desperate. He has to be masochistic to take such a major role in the Baby Geniuses franchise.

He's actually one of the producers on the Baby Genius films, so he presumably does those because he gets a big cut of the DVD sales.

I saw Wet Hot American Summer long before my wife got me into Law and Order SVU when we first started dating. I had no idea who Christopher Meloni was. After a couple years of watching SVU, I watched WHAS again and it was awesome realizing that the cafeteria chef was Meloni and he immediately became my favorite part of that movie. That shock/surprise would pop up again in Harold and Kumar when I realized he was Freakshow. Same thing with him playing Keller. For some reason, I could never connect Meloni with any of his previous roles.

I've been saying for years that Angelina Jolie needs to put dear ol' dad in a home for his own professional good.  That list of movies proves my theory.

At least let him finish off two seasons of Ray Donovan...

• 2 weeks later...

Why am I just figuring out now that the supa fine Hayley Marie Norman aka Deal Or No Deal Model Holding Briefcase #25 was also the hottie that put the move on Will Smith in Hancock.

Damn, she's cute!

Why am I just figuring out now that the supa fine Hayley Marie Norman aka Deal Or No Deal Model Holding Briefcase #25 was also the hottie that put the move on Will Smith in Hancock.

Damn, she's cute!

Speaking of DoND briefcase girls, her next-door neighbor/Briefcase #24 (Meghan Markle of SUITS) sez hi.

Posted Image

Y'know that Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 movie that's currently #1 in IMDB's Bottom 100? Well, not only was he in that. He also appeared in Baby Geniuses: Baby Squad Investigators and the upcoming Baby Geniuses and the Treasures of Egypt, and Baby Geniuses and the Space Baby.

More shocking still, the director of Superbabies was...Bob Clark, who directed A Christmas Story.  What's more, I believe this was his last movie before his death, poor guy.  (and the rolling in his grave caused by A Christmas Story 2 can't help...)

My interest gets piqued whenever I see Paul Dini or Bruce Timm in the credits for some '80s cartoon.  Likewise, when I see a voice actor in a live action role...Michael Bell, for instance, appeared on Mary Tyler Moore and Three's Company.  And William Woodson was on an MTM episode, where he was in a casting call to replace...Ted Baxter, like THAT ever happened in real life. 

Not "casting" per se, but Heather Graham appearing as a contestant on the game show version of Scrabble.

Basically everything Martin Sheen did in-between Apocalypse Now and The West Wing.  Basically nothing but "in it for the money roles" for over fifteen years: Firestarter, the bad guy in the A.L.F. reunion movie, Spawn, The Dead Zone, Beverly Hills Brats. Weirdest of all is 1991's The Maid, where he plays a businessman who falls in love with a single mother and gets himself hired as her new nanny so he can romance her.

He basically said "the hell with critical acclaim, I'd rather make shit loads of money playing hammy bad guys instead of have to suffer through another nightmare production like Badlands or Apocalypse Now."

I really wish he'd do one of those Entertainment Weekly interviews where an actor sits down and goes over the reasons why he/she took roles in various movies.

• Like 1

Basically everything Martin Sheen did in-between Apocalypse Now and The West Wing. Basically nothing but "in it for the money roles" for over fifteen years: Firestarter, the bad guy in the A.L.F. reunion movie, Spawn, The Dead Zone, Beverly Hills Brats. Weirdest of all is 1991's The Maid, where he plays a businessman who falls in love with a single mother and gets himself hired as her new nanny so he can romance her.He basically said "the hell with critical acclaim, I'd rather make shit loads of money playing hammy bad guys instead of have to suffer through another nightmare production like Badlands or Apocalypse Now."I really wish he'd do one of those Entertainment Weekly interviews where an actor sits down and goes over the reasons why he/she took roles in various movies.

He needed the quick money to keep bailing himself out of jail after getting arrested during protests.

More shocking still, the director of Superbabies was...Bob Clark, who directed A Christmas Story.  What's more, I believe this was his last movie before his death, poor guy.  (and the rolling in his grave caused by A Christmas Story 2 can't help...)

If you're going to use surprising directing choices, just from this week alone: 

Morgan Spurlock- directing credits: Movie decrying fast food, movie decrying advertisements...One Direction's concert movie.

• Like 1