DVDVR Message Board

Surprising credits thread

Swift

Not a hugely "WTF" one, but Robin Greene and Mitchell Burgess going from working extensively on The Sopranos to creating the decent-but-formulaic Blue Bloods was always kind of a mystery to me.

Again, it's not that Blue Bloods is bad exactly, but after you've legitimately written some of the best TV ever, it seems odd to just go back to writing a generic procedural show. It'd be like finding out the guy who created NCIS wrote several episodes of The Wire, or something.

Happens more than you'd think.

Until I read this thread, I had no idea that Megan Markle (Mike's girlfriend on Suits) started off as a Deal or No Deal model.

That explains so much about her acting.  So very much.

Edit: I guess DonD was her break.  She had a string of bit parts before that.

• 5 weeks later...

Macauley Culkin's mom at the beginning of the Black Or White video is also Jesse Pinkman's mom.

And while we're on the subject of Michael Jackson videos, the chick from Thriller shows up in one of the 48 Hours movies as a stripper, boobs and all.

Hey!  It's a very young and very brunette Kim Catrall on an episode of COLUMBO!  She's playing a college girl who is under the spell of an evil psychologist who trained his two Doberman's to kill on command so he could commit a murder over the phone.

It's one of the few, maybe the only, COLUMBO's where the murderer actually tries to kill Columbo himself.

Other people who show up in episodes are Bruno Kirby as a military school cadet in one of the Patrick MacGoohan episodes, and Jamie Lee Curtis (before HALLOWEEN) as a coffee shop waitress whose only line is "You gonna' finish that?"

And Jeff Goldblum in the background as a protestor in the awesome Hector Elizondo episode.

Other people who show up in episodes are Bruno Kirby as a military school cadet in one of the Patrick MacGoohan episodes, and Jamie Lee Curtis (before HALLOWEEN) as a coffee shop waitress whose only line is "You gonna' finish that?"

Has anyone mentioned in Bruno Kirby in Godfather Part II ? If not, then Bruno Kirby in Godfater Part II.

• 2 months later...

I've been watching season 4 of The Wire and House of Cards concurrently, and it took me a hell of a long time to realize that Carcetti's right hand man is Freddy (Frank's BBQ ribs guy)

regecathey.jpgmed_reg_e_cathey.jpg

Watching Airplane! right now and while I've seen it maybe a dozen times in my life, it's all changed now that I've noticed that fucking MIKE from BREAKING BAD is doing schtick in it.  I know Jonathan Banks has been in a million things, but this one isn't even registering as being real.

Basically everything Martin Sheen did in-between Apocalypse Now and The West Wing.  Basically nothing but "in it for the money roles" for over fifteen years: Firestarter, the bad guy in the A.L.F. reunion movie, Spawn, The Dead Zone, Beverly Hills Brats. Weirdest of all is 1991's The Maid, where he plays a businessman who falls in love with a single mother and gets himself hired as her new nanny so he can romance her.

He basically said "the hell with critical acclaim, I'd rather make shit loads of money playing hammy bad guys instead of have to suffer through another nightmare production like Badlands or Apocalypse Now."

I really wish he'd do one of those Entertainment Weekly interviews where an actor sits down and goes over the reasons why he/she took roles in various movies.

Obviously missed this when you originally posted it a long time ago, but he more than makes up for all of that by being the voice of the Illusive Man.

• Like 1

Realizing years later that the military school commandant in The Ref was played by a young(er) JK Simmons.

Also, the marriage counselor at the beginning was played by BD Wong.

I guess this counts: I'd recently re-friended a guy I knew from childhood, named Ted Welch.  Going all the way back to kindergarten. He had a role in The Help (which I still haven't seen, but now I'm gonna) and somehow I'd watched him on an entire season of True Blood without ever realizing that was my old friend! He was the leader of the Obamas gang, and now I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch that season with a whole new perspective. And to top it all off, he's also a writer and director, recently shot a documentary on indy wrestling with some guys I know like Vordell Walker. SUCH a small world...

I've been watching season 4 of The Wire and House of Cards concurrently, and it took me a hell of a long time to realize that Carcetti's right hand man is Freddy (Frank's BBQ ribs guy)

regecathey.jpgmed_reg_e_cathey.jpg

He's also the guy who takes over Oz when McManus gets ousted and then he ends up as the warden when Glynn gets shot. And little known fact, he did some narration for NatGeo. He did the Population Zero (I think that's the name anyway) where they looked at what would happen to things if all humans disappeared.

• 1 month later...

Here's one that shocked me: Matt Salinger as Captain America in the dreadful 1992 movie is actually J.Ds son.

And now I just have images of this literary great, a figure of mystery and long isolated from the outside world, sitting down to watch an abysmal comic film and trying to come up with something nice to say for the sake of his kid.

Well, shit.  I just figured out that fucking Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter movies is Eric Blunt in the new TNT series, Murder In The First.

Also, Inspector Molk (Raphael S'Barge) from the show was the voice of Kaiden Alenko in the Mass Effect video games.

I just found out that Dan Dority from Deadwood was Walter, the mentally handicapped brother in There's Something About Mary.  I need some time to process this.

"Franks and beans!"

Yeah, that's a good one.

Also, Ron Swanson from 'Parks and Recreation' shows up early in Deadwood completely naked after banging a prostitute.

• Like 1

I just found out that Dan Dority from Deadwood was Walter, the mentally handicapped brother in There's Something About Mary.  I need some time to process this.

"Franks and beans!"

Yeah, that's a good one.

Also, Ron Swanson from 'Parks and Recreation' shows up early in Deadwood completely naked after banging a prostitute.

Holy shit, I just watched that episode last night and didn't realize that was him.

This may or may not be surprising, but speaking of Deadwood, Michael Harney is a bit of a chameleon. He was in Deadwood in season 3 as a drunk who constantly racially abuses Hostetler. He was also the cop interrogated on the boat in the final episodes of True Detective. But, he's more likely known as Healy in Orange Is The New Black.

Watching TERROR TRAIN, and I had no idea that Hart Bochner, who played Doc, was also in the abysmally shitty URBAN LEGENDS: FINAL CUT until it was pointed out to me. Looking further into his credits, he also was Ellis in DIE HARD. Damn, he looks and sounds totally different in those two movies.