DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 7/15/2022

Rampage tomorrow morning (for those of us living in the mysterious Orient):

Gresham vs Moriarty ROH Title match. Tully Blanchard back on AEW TV! Presumably we'll get more build toward and info regarding Death Before Dishono(u)r as well. And this match will be both very fast and very technical. And as a bonus it will anger the kind of pro wrestling grandpa who thinks anyone under 6'3" and 250 pounds has no right to compete for a heavyweight title belt.

Also on the card:

The Dark Order (Silver and Reynolds) vs House of Blech (Malakai and Brody King) where I hope Hungie gets a chance to get in a house afire hot tag sprint around and kill everyone moment, and might complain if it's just a straight up squash with no shiny Silver.

Athena and Statlander vs The Renegade Twins! Awesome! Two ass-kicking tag teams kicking ass. Also: Statlander used to be an alien, and Athena used to be an (Ember) moon! It's a natural pairing!

Private Party vs The Lucha Brothers, which will definitely be a lot of fun.

All four of these matches seem like foregone conclusions, from where I am sitting. An upset or two is certainly possible, but the appeal of this show seems to be mainly in getting more good, fun, exciting, pro wrestling and also seeing how they build toward the ROH PPV, DBD.

I am glad that AEW is easing off on the gas slightly here. I personally need a cool down. I have been marking out non-stop since (at least) the week before Forbidden Door.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

The Dark Order (Silver and Reynolds) vs House of Blech (Malakai and Brody King) where I hope Hungie gets a chance to get in a house afire hot tag sprint around and kill everyone moment, and might complain if it's just a straight up squash with no shiny Silver.

Malakai Black likes to tell a little story when he wrestles and that's why his matches are so good.  I'm hoping for a Miro run-in!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I am glad that AEW is easing off on the gas slightly here. I personally need a cool down. I have been marking out non-stop since (at least) the week before Forbidden Door.

When I look at this line-up I can't help but think you've spoken to soon. House-Order&PPVLuchas could go either way, but I'm guessing at least one of the two will be spectacular. High expectations for Lee-Moriary. I like the sounds of Athena-Stat v the Renegade Sisters. And Daddy Ass/The Ass boys can't do much of anything but entertain these days. 

• Like 1

Yes, please. In the space of a month:

Claudio Castagnoli debuts to a massive pop beating Zack Sabre Jr at AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door.

Claudio Castagnoli gets the spotlight entrance in the show closing angle for Blood & Guts.

Claudio Castagnoli gets the submission in Blood & Guts for Jon Moxley/Wheeler Yuta/Eddie Kingston/Santana/Ortiz.

Claudio Castagnoli beats Jake Hagar.

Claudio Castagnoli challenges for the ROH World Championship.

Claudio Castagnoli gets the world title reign he stupidly never got in WWE, he should be a multi time world champion there. Fuck Vince McMahon.

• Like 3

It's weird, but a lot of these injuries have seemed to benefit a lot of guys on the roster. Not to say it's good guys are getting hurt, but you know, it was nice to see Private Party on TV having a cool match again. Lucha Bros. vs. Private Party was a great match. 

Acclaimed get to have a TV feud with Gunn Club now. It feels like some more people are getting valuable face time and feuds now. Granted they've been doing stuff with Ass Boys/Acclaimed for a little bit now, but I'm glad it's playing out. 

• Like 6

Sorry I'm late!  My youngest daughter had her 23rd birthday party so I was PARTYING!  Then I had to clean the kitchen when I got home and watch a punishing episode of Smackdown.  Malakai Black!  Brodie King!  Victims!  Malakai Black is so good at making Alex Reynolds look good.  Brodie King doesn't really care about making anyone look good this night.  Oh man, Brodie King is so awesome.  Talk about laying it in.  Oh man, I can't wait for the INTERNATIONAL FEED to see what they do to Alex Reynolds on a regular screen.  I assume the Savannah crowd, being the best crowd in the South, gets behind Alex Reynold's STRUGGLE to escape the Satanic Horrors of the House of Black.  HOT TAG!  John Silver is a bouncing rubber ball of offense!  Malakai kicks Brodie dead in the face!  WHOA! Brodie fucking DESTROYS Reynolds with a Lariat for TWO!  Black opts to SHOWBOAT his athleticism by hitting a VAN DAMINATOR all the way across the ring!  Brodie King fucking TOTALLY destroys Reynolds with a K-DRILLER!  Sting versus Malakai Black!  Yes!    Miro versus Malakai Black!  How about Darby Allin, Sting and Miro versus Brodie King, Malakai Black and Buddy Matthews?  I could go for that!  ROH title match!  Will Sydel turn on Lee Moriarty?!  Awesome!  The entire Gates Of Agony at ringside!  And Sydel could turn on him!  HE COULD BE ALL ALONE!  Lee is fucking awesome being a future Blackpool Combat Club member beating the fudge out of Grisham.  Gresham is great being EVIL!  Right in the testicles!  Jonathan Gresham is SOOOO much better as a heel.  He could ACTUALLY assume the role of the NEW Tully Blanchard.  Tully was a SUPREME dick but he was also amazingly technically proficient.  Gresham just has to work on being a supreme dick.  I love that there is feeling of genuine hate in this.  Lee is good at conveying hate and is such a good babyface.  Man, this is a LOT of wrestling.  Gresham and Lee do a thousand slick roll-ups!  Gresham applies the Octopus Hold and Moriarty taps!  Aaaaand I see that Gresham isn't long for the championship.  Awwwww, poor Jonathan Gresham....  Hey!  It's the Renegade Twins!  Athena hits a fucking BEAUTIFUL Dangerous Backdrop!  Leila Gray continues to be Toshiro Mifune in the Seventh Samurai.  She gets one step closer!  Matt Sydel is TURNING EVIL!  Lee Moriarty is being played FOR A FOOL!  Oh man, the Acclaimed vs the Ass Boys will be good.  Austin Gunn is a heat machine!  Awww, Claudio is going to crush Gresham.  Marq Quen changes his hairstyle!  Quen hitting a Tope Con Hilo TWICE as high as Isiah Kassidy is so reminiscent of Blitzkreig and Super Dragon hitting Tope Con Hilos during their WCW try-out.   Savannah is the greatest crowd in the South as they get into this match- which they didn't have to.  I mean, it's not like Private Party has a chance.  I guess the work is getting it over.  PENTA always tells a story in his matches so he gets over Private Party and the CHEATING of Andrade, but it is during picture in picture.  I can only imagine that the crowd is behind Penta's STRUGGLE to escape the youthful exuberance of Private Party's beatdown.  And as we go to the Big Screen, they are!  And Rey Fenix is the most spectacular Robert Gibson EVER!  Rey chops the fudge out of Isiah's chest!  Private Property hits a DOOMSDAY DEVICE!  They don't call it that for whatever reason.  PENTA tries SOMETHING!  Unsuccessfully!  RUSH RUNS IN!  Rey Fenix hits a fucking STEINER SQUARE DRIVER!  That match was messy but really fun.  This episode was messy but fun.  That was a LOT of wrestling and was good!  I'm glad it wasn't molten hot like the last five or so Rampages.  I need a break to great match after great match and I was ready for very good match after very good match.  That was very good.  AEW RULES THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Opening tag was great, good story moments.

Gresham-Moriarty was good. I enjoyed Gresham taking moves and selling big more than I did his technically proficient but kind of dull offense. More excited for Moriarty-Dante and maybe them having a plan for Taiga. Claudio as ROH champ sounds good except I’d like to keep him in AEW.

Painful looking women’s squash, Renegades took a beating. Post-match made Athena and Stat look weak AF.

For some reason I really couldn’t pay much attention to the main.  Maybe it’s because I’m tired after a long week, it’s late, and I’ve had a few beers. Maybe I just don’t care enough about these teams or this angle.

Others seemed to have enjoyed this night, didn’t really do it for me. End of the streak.

Happy for The Acclaimed push finally happening.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dog said:

But the roster's too bloated! ?

It is bloated, but in case you didn't notice, a lot of the top stars and roster lynchpins have been sidelined in recent weeks.

It's airing out and shedding that bloat. Hence my point.

And what would be happening right now, after all the injuries, if they didn't have all that talent ready to go?

You're making my point. It's not bloated. It's protected against loss.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FXwTK8_VUAARYoh?format=jpg&name=small

Next ROH World Champion.

Gresham is 1000% more interesting as a heel. I don't know what his contract situation is but I hope he and his association with Tully don't vanish into the ether assume he drops the belt to CC.

as for the show...

Much like Dynamite this felt like the tale of two shows for me. Dug the opening tag match greatly Brody and Hunggy as the battle of the Big Beef Daddies. I'd like to see John Silver face more Hosses cause its fun to see him as the little dog who doesn't realize he's only 3lbs going after the big dogs. Brody Lee Memorial All-Hoss 250lbs weight minimum invitational please and thank you.

Tag teams I wish we could see more off in AEW; Bear Country, Butcher and The Blade, Renegade Twins, JD Drake either in The Workhorsemen or The Wingmen (cause he's twice the normal man he can hold down two man sized tag teams). I really think they have something with The Twins hopefully find something for them to do.

Speaking of finding something to do hopefully Gresham can feud with BCC or something (matches against Nese or Danny Garcia could be good)

once again the main event just wasn't my cup of tea

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Dog said:

And what would be happening right now, after all the injuries, if they didn't have all that talent ready to go?

You're making my point. It's not bloated. It's protected against loss.

Undeniably having a large roster means yes they do have talent ready to go in case people are getting hurt left and right. But it's still talent they haven't been doing much with or featuring on TV a lot lately. And when their top stars aren't hurt and back up and running, a lot of people will be left with nothing to do or stuck on Dark or Elevation for months on end.