DVDVR Message Board

INDY WRESTLING THREAD~

RIPPA

13 hours ago, Pedro said:

I just noticed the Highspots site seems to be down.  So if you subscribed to them does that mean you have to resub to the .tv? I didn't get an email or any notification of a change. 

I never received any kind of communication from them about it.  I emailed them a week ago about the January PWG shows (BOLA) not being up yet and they emailed me telling me about the new .tv service.  They mentioned that .tv had new apps and that shows would be posted on .tv first (BOLA is up) and to the old network later, but didn't mention that the old one was shutting down.  But I had the same issue -- I went to the old site to cancel after I'd set up the new service and the site was inaccessible.  It's up this morning, though, and I was able to cancel.

I did notice the old service has fewer old content (PWG only goes back a maybe 2 years) so I emailed to ask about that.

Edited by Technico Support

38 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I never received any kind of communication from them about it.  I emailed them a week ago about the January PWG shows (BOLA) not being up yet and they emailed me telling me about the new .tv service.  They mentioned that .tv had new apps and that shows would be posted on .tv first (BOLA is up) and to the old network later, but didn't mention that the old one was shutting down.  But I had the same issue -- I went to the old site to cancel after I'd set up the new service and the site was inaccessible.  It's up this morning, though, and I was able to cancel.

I did notice the old service has fewer old content (PWG only goes back a maybe 2 years) so I emailed to ask about that.

interesting.  Wonder if they plan on merging both into one and just charging $15 a month. I agree with your prior comment the original has a dated look on the Roku.  Hoping that the .tv gets everything that the original has and I can make the switch over.  

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

interesting.  Wonder if they plan on merging both into one and just charging $15 a month. I agree with your prior comment the original has a dated look on the Roku.  Hoping that the .tv gets everything that the original has and I can make the switch over.  

If you ever, just for fun, dig through streaming channels on Roku, look for the chintzy ones that show public domain movies (like "horror classics" or whatever).  Check out the screenshots -- their interface looks the same.  HIghspots' provider, Pivotshare, was using the dirt worst free template from Roku.

The new app at least has an "add to my list" feature.  That's wot $5 extra right there!  :)

I would pay the extra $5 in a heartbeat if they move all of the content over there.  I watch a lot of the shoot interviews, the AAW shows and a lot of the KC stuff.  PWG as well.   It's funny though that for years people complained how long it took to release PWG on their and now for $5 more a month the shows will be added quicker.  I'd take that tradeoff any day.  Thank you for bringing this up!

• Like 2

Faaaaaaack, wish I hadn't slept on tickets for this year's Americanrana...

LuFisto vs Trish Adora

Masha Slamovich vs B3CCA

Alec Price vs Ortiz

Swoggle vs Sidney Bakabella

Rhett Titus and Tracy Williams vs Fancy Nerds (Ryan Clancy and Thomas Santell)

Wheeler YUTA vs. Timothy Thatcher

Eddie Kingston vs. SLADE

Ryan Galeone vs. Rex Lawless

Willow Nightingale & Waves and Curls vs. The Rightous (Dutch, Vincent & Vita Von Starr)

• Like 2

The Matt Cardona and Chelsea Green wedding segment on tonight GCW Homecoming went too long but it was definitely one of the better wedding segments in wrestling.  From Maven performing the services while calling the people of Atlantic City hillbillies and rednecks to Cardona own parents coming out which got a "fuck the parents "chant to Maki Itoh singing a song.   And like all weddings someone is getting messed up and this one was Nick Gage interrupting the wedding to hit Matt's dad with a light tube and then proceed to make Cardona bleed buckets with light tube and pizza cutter stuff.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Friendly heads up for anyone interested, Highspots Wrestling Network added the 2022 BOLA this weekend/today.  Watching Day 1 and some really good matches early on. Speedball Mike Bailey is having a career year. His match with Bandido is nuts. 

• Like 2

Chris Hamrick is STILL doing the Hamrick bump in 2022 at a GCW show in North Carolina.  I don't know how old he is but his back has to over 80 with the number of decades he has taken it.    Looking at this show, I am convinced that this was created to bring back the DVDVR Road Reports  ?

While this should be in the IWTV thread, the quarters and semis for the West Coast Pro Cup has been really good as well.  Both Titus Alexander vs Masha in the quarters and vs Nick Wayne were very good matches.   Starboy Charlie has been taking a beating to get to the finals 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 7:45 AM, Pedro said:

Friendly heads up for anyone interested, Highspots Wrestling Network added the 2022 BOLA this weekend/today.  Watching Day 1 and some really good matches early on. Speedball Mike Bailey is having a career year. His match with Bandido is nuts. 

I just finished night 1 and started night 2 last night.  As you said, great matches on night 1, maybe with the exception of Jonah/Buddy Murphy, which had a shit finish and wasn't great even before that.  Bandido/Bailey was great and I don't get the fans turning on Bailey somewhat.  Maybe the fans saw Bandido as their champion and Bailey as just an Impact guy?  I mean Bailey was super hot in PWG 5-6 years ago before he ran into that visa issue, but maybe these are newer fans/LA fans and there's not much carryover from the Reseda days?  The one guy yelling "fuuuuuuccck yoooouuuuu" over and over at the finish was shitty.  I did love how one fan threw in a CREDIT CARD while they were throwing in money at the finish, with Knox and Bailey being incredulous over it.

The Aramis/Black Taurus bout that starts night 2 has some wild lucha spots in it, stuff I've never seen, like Aramis transitioning a running headscissors mid-move into a behind-the-back armdrag.  There's a brief moment of WTF as the ref botches a count, but they get it back and finish strong.  Good Lucha Things.

• Like 1

Already got my ticket. 

edit: just want to point out this now has 939 likes. Afaik their previous best was the initial Minoru Suzuki announcement which is sitting at 362 likes. Dude is a star. 

Edited by matt925
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, Technico Support said:

I just finished night 1 and started night 2 last night.  As you said, great matches on night 1, maybe with the exception of Jonah/Buddy Murphy, which had a shit finish and wasn't great even before that.  Bandido/Bailey was great and I don't get the fans turning on Bailey somewhat.  Maybe the fans saw Bandido as their champion and Bailey as just an Impact guy?  I mean Bailey was super hot in PWG 5-6 years ago before he ran into that visa issue, but maybe these are newer fans/LA fans and there's not much carryover from the Reseda days?  The one guy yelling "fuuuuuuccck yoooouuuuu" over and over at the finish was shitty.  I did love how one fan threw in a CREDIT CARD while they were throwing in money at the finish, with Knox and Bailey being incredulous over it.

The Aramis/Black Taurus bout that starts night 2 has some wild lucha spots in it, stuff I've never seen, like Aramis transitioning a running headscissors mid-move into a behind-the-back armdrag.  There's a brief moment of WTF as the ref botches a count, but they get it back and finish strong.  Good Lucha Things.

have you finished up night 2? Curious on your thoughts.

I finished BOLA last night (and resumed watched old WWF in order).  I thought it was decent but not great.  I love PWG, which I discovered in 2010 and kept my enjoyment of wrestling alive when there was really not much else good for me to watch.  I've discovered that I like the idea of BOLA a lot but the actual finished product not so much.  Whether it's a two-night, 16 man tournament or three nights with 24 guys, you're still seeing the finalists wrestle three times in one night and that's kind of repetitive and boring.  Not that the matches are bad; just a personal preference.

• Daniel Gracia has IT.  Great charisma, good at playing a role and showing emotion, so good in the ring.  All three of his night 2 matches (Alex Shelley, Black Taurus, Mike Bailey) were so good, though the Bailey match felt a little long and somewhat excessive.
  • I like Alex Shelley's "asshole veteran heel" character.
  • Fun booking with Garcia/Shelley, as Shelley pulls Garcia off balance to counter the Garcia Lock.  When Garcia tries it again later, he reaches over to block Shelley's attempt to do it again.  Smart wrestling.
  • I like Mike Bailey but he needs to pose less.  My dude has like 3-5 moves where he does an intricate karate pose first and it's kind of awful.  His standing moonsault double knee, for example.  He throws his arms out, then brings his fist to his palm, then nods, then does the move.  All the while, his opponent has to lay there like an idiot.  It was really noticeable in the final, as it was a long match.
  • Everything with Buddy Matthews was sorta bad.  The "I'm a big name wrestler for a big company and this indy shit sucks" is so played out.  His match with Lio was decent but unfortunately fucked at the finish with Lio getting hurt.  So they panicked and booked a DQ because Lio needed to win, which looked awful, especially in a company that did its last DQ in 2014 (and fuck AJ Styles and New Japan for that bullshit), only for Matthews to replace Lio in the next round anyway.  Ugh.
  • Speaking of Lio, Buddy hit a V Trigger and he did a "pass out and fall out of the ring unconscious" sell and I hate that.  If a dude is out cold, that should end the match.
  • The requisite "final night goofy multiman match" was excellent!
  • Don't put part of your name in your nickname.  "The Black Beast" Black Taurus.  "The Rocketwheel" Jack Cartwheel.
  • Speaking of Cartwheel, between the hair and the red tights/red kickpads, squint and you'll think Lance Storm is in there.
  • They need to turn down the lights or redo the white balance on the hard cam.  Blake Christian looked like a ghost out there.
  • Overall, I'd recommend the show.  The good far outweighed the bad.  For me, I would rather see a three night, 16 man tournament with round 1 on night 1, quarterfinals on night 2, semis and finals on night 3.  But YMMV.
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 2:22 PM, RIPPA said:

292807496_750701842876157_71877487857371

This seems... ambitious...

On 7/17/2022 at 11:49 AM, twiztor said:

what's the over/under for shows cancelled? 50%?

Well. Whole thing is now cancelled.

CYN wishes Braun the best in his future endeavors and their "immediate future is unknown" 

Went to another Winnipeg Pro show last night. Always fun, the venue they have if fucking awesome and the crowd is always into everything.

Card got a little messed up, as Effy wasn't able to get across the border so the original main of Bussy v Jody Threat/Josh Alexander got nerfed. Instead they made Allie v Jody into a match for the inaugural women's championship (they had the belt ready, so my guess is that was originally going to be debuted at their next show in December) and Josh Alexander issued an open challenge for the Impact title.

Results:

Devon Monroe d. "The Rhinestone Cowboy" Steven Crowe 2nd time I've seen Devon and he is so fun and charismatic live. Crowd wanted to cheer Crowe, because who doesn't want to cheer the dude in the debazzled country and western get up with the skeezy mullet? He was dick enough during the match to keep the crowd on Devon's side

Josh Alexander d. Roy Cheeks Cheeks is super green and Josh did a great job of holding his hand and getting him through a strong match. Very much an over-matched rookie versus the over-confident champion match. Cheeks got some nice believable moments of shine before Alexander killed him dead dead dead

"Sweet" Bobby Schink d. Michael Richard Blais Blais is doing some sort of quasi-Satanic priest thing. Bobby Schink drinks maple syrup and gets hulk up powers from it. Schink is a Winnipeg mainstay, if you've been to a show at any point in the last ten years in the Peg, he was probably on the card. He's a goofy looking dude, but charismatic and the crowd always loves him. After winning he challenged the winner of the main

WPW Women's Title Jody Threat d. Allie Katch This was their rubber match. Jody beat Allie in Ottawa a while ago, Allie beat Jody at the last show and now Jody wins the belt. Bit of a foregone conclusion, because Jody is on every show, but still a fun match that went up onto the stage where Allie took a gnarly bump on a suplex. Fun moment, as WPW put the belt on a plinth during the match (yes, a plinth) and while fighting up the stage, Allie and Jody comically stopped and gingerly walked by it with their hands up in order to not knock it down, before resuming fighting. Allie's my dude, so I was hoping she'd win, but was not to be. Talked to her after the show and she absolutely loves the people who run the promotion, so I'm hoping she becomes a semi-reg

"Jacked Jesus" Tommy Lee Curtis d. James Roth Roth definitely has fans for a very specific reason. Crowd started chanting "Daddy" at him. Curtis used weasely heel tactics to steal the win. I like Curtis because his gimmick is that he's super jacked (he wears a surplice to the ring, but tears off the sleeves as he comes down), but he's actually not in that impressive of shape. Likes doing curls while choking his opponents with his resistance band. Perfect lower card heel

Taryn from Accounting d. Free Range Kara Surprisingly the crowd was totally on the side of Taryn, chanting "death and taxes" throughout the match. Probably because she carried the majority of it. Kara is a great seller, but it meant that she spent most of the match on her back while Taryn got to shit talk and look like a killer

Red Hot Summer d. Rylie Jackson/Kevin O'Doyle As much as the crowd loves Bobby Schink, they looooooove Red Hot Summer. Specifically Sammy Peppers. Crowd's favourite spot of the night was when they put O'Doyle in the tree of woe (took both to life him), crotched Rylie into his face and then tipped him over so that his crotch landed on Rylie's face. It's the simple pleasures of wrestling that are really the best.

WPW Men's Title AJ Sanchez d. Mo Jabari Never heard of Jabari, but thought he was really impressive. Sanchez is 300+ but is not afraid to stooge. Won with shenanigans on a ref bump and low blow. Schink came out to run off Sanchez and revive the ref with the restorative powers of his maple syrup

Sometimes I wish they ran more, but only putting shows on every 2-3 months means the crowd is not burnt out seeing the same locals over and over. There are other promotions that run more regularly, but WPW shows have this really fun, playful energy

• Like 2