DVDVR Message Board

INDY WRESTLING THREAD~

RIPPA

Just got back from the DPW show in Raleigh, NC. 

Man. What a great show. Real big crowd. Great energy the whole night. Main Event was Takeshita and Andrew Everett. They had a fantastic match. Takeshita is just a star!

Rest of the card was great.

Gringo Loco is super good. 
Dante Martin is Super good. 
Emi Sakura is so charismatic. 
The Workhorsemen are super good. 

Compared to PWX this was better than some of those shows I’ve been too. 
Anyone here at the show tonight ?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

So uh... the aftermath of Wrestle Queerdom looks like it's a mess. Lots of talent are saying they didn't get paid, a carload of wrestlers got stranded in New Hampshire, and one of the biggest (if not the biggest) LGBTQ promotion just cut ties with the promoter. This is a shame and a half.

38 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

So uh... the aftermath of Wrestle Queerdom looks like it's a mess. Lots of talent are saying they didn't get paid, a carload of wrestlers got stranded in New Hampshire, and one of the biggest (if not the biggest) LGBTQ promotion just cut ties with the promoter. This is a shame and a half.

TransGraps really needed to separate their professional from their personal tweets. I'm frankly surprised the event did actually happen because they did themselves no favors in the lead up with some of the bullshit they were putting out.

7 minutes ago, porksweats said:

TransGraps really needed to separate their professional from their personal tweets. I'm frankly surprised the event did actually happen because they did themselves no favors in the lead up with some of the bullshit they were putting out.

I first found out about the show in hearing that it was a 23 year old first-time promoter bringing in talent from Japan, and immediately I thought "well, that show's not going to turn out well unless there's a major sponsor involved", because I've seen enough first-time promoters have disasters as their first outing to know there probably won't be a second.

Then I saw a tweet from VENY saying that she was staying with a promoter and she was fine, because said promoter had been livetweeting comments about VENY while she was sleeping, and that was the first time I put two and two together that it was this specific show.

We all make mistakes when we're that young, but this is a pretty colossal set of mistakes, especially if it's resulting in talent being stranded/not being paid.

I hope she learns some pretty significant lessons from this.

Kidd Bandit stepped up to cover the rates of talent that wasn't paid, and Dark Sheik also offered to help cover expenses to get people home. Good people.

This is the last time I'll post about the Wrestle Queerdom mess because it's one big pile of yikes, but this latest part made me so upset.

https://twitter.com/aiden_v_e/status/1556821144644337669 (tweets aren't embedding, but this is a thread from Aiden Von Engeland explaining that TransGraps' mother had taken out a loan and liquidated her savings to prop this show up).

So... I have no relationship with my parents, specifically because I am trans. I mentor young adults whose parents/family have abandoned them for seeking their transition. I adopted my daughter because after she came out to her biological parents, they destroyed all of the belongings she didn't take with her to college and tried to have her institutionalized.

Needless to say, if someone is trans and has supportive parents, my personal feeling is that they have been given a gift that they should cherish with everything they have, because quite a lot of trans people simply don't have that luxury.

And TransGraps took her gift of a loving mother who it appears would do anything for her, and did this to her?

It makes me so goddamned furious that I find it hard to put it into words.

There are people who will make the excuse that because she's only 23, she should be given the benefit of the doubt, and that mistakes can happen, but I am running out of ways to give her the benefit of any doubt. My daughter's 21 and would never think of doing something like this. Her way of helping the trans community is volunteerism that doesn't prop her name up as the savior of an alleged woebegone community that didn't ask for her to be its martyr like TransGraps appears to have wanted to be for the trans wrestling community.

Maybe that's harsh. I don't care. She needs to grow up and face reality anyway.

There will be people that will proclaim that an all-trans/gender-expansive show is a good thing, and will laud her for trying.

There's a reason that the aphorism "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions" exists.

Aiden Von Engeland says there’s more to come out about Transgraps. He specifically used the terms Sociopath and Narcissistic Personality Disorder, so it’s probably pretty bad.

I know I was being trolled by the Atticus Cogar comment but I decided to look at his match with AC Mack on IWTV and he's actually a great heel. Reminds me of the kids you see on TV or at the mall who act like they can get away with anything, but the difference is that he can actually back it up. I haven't seen enough of his work to judge but for people who call Miz or MJF a perfect chickenshit heel, this guy is the deathmatch version. I was impressed. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I know I was being trolled by the Atticus Cogar comment but I decided to look at his match with AC Mack on IWTV and he's actually a great heel. Reminds me of the kids you see on TV or at the mall who act like they can get away with anything, but the difference is that he can actually back it up. I haven't seen enough of his work to judge but for people who call Miz or MJF a perfect chickenshit heel, this guy is the deathmatch version. I was impressed. 

You know I've never been wowed by him in the shows I've seen but looking at it through a lens of Deathmatch Miz is enough to make me take a second look.

• Like 1

When 44OH were doing a Q&A, I figured that since they were heels, I should ask them a heelish question. So I asked "When you were growing up watching wrestling, who was the one guy one the shows that you thought 'They fucking suck! I could wrestle better than that! When can I start training?'".

Atticus Cogar literally said "The Miz".

• Like 2

Public service announcement for anyone using Highspots Wrestling Network.  I have no idea if they're shutting down the old network or not, but new content is being posted faster on their new system, Highspots TV.  It's $5/month more expensive but the app is better, especially the Roku app -- the old app on Roku was based on the same shitty template that every public domain movie Roku app uses.  There's also something called "Highspots NOW" and I have no idea what the deal there is.

• Like 1