DVDVR Message Board

INDY WRESTLING THREAD~

RIPPA

I really enjoyed Bandido vs. Bailey and the six-man from the Supershow. JJSB Night 1 just felt "there"—nothing that was must see, but nothing that was horrible. Seemed like the ending wasn't a strong way to end the show, either (if it wasn't a legit injury, which I doubt it was). Not sure what Nick Gage has to offer at this point other than a few minutes of GCW nostalgia and crowd involvement. I have Night 2 ordered. I think GCW is sort of losing their luster they had since they now run an insane amount of shows and disappointed at Hammerstein.

• Like 2

Sean Waltman posted on social media that he worked last night's Spring Break show with a torn bicep (which he suffered on the Feb GCW show)

He said it requires surgery but he is planning on wrestling a few more times after he recovers

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hitchcock was the only thing I ordered. I fell asleep early into the YIM match, but that match was going to be tough to top the rest of the night.

I'll probably watch the rest tomorrow morning. SCOH tonight and then debating between Impact or JJSBN2. Hearing N1 wasn't great doesn't make me want to race to see N2. 

3 hours ago, EricG said:

I really enjoyed Bandido vs. Bailey and the six-man from the Supershow. JJSB Night 1 just felt "there"—nothing that was must see, but nothing that was horrible. Seemed like the ending wasn't a strong way to end the show, either (if it wasn't a legit injury, which I doubt it was). Not sure what Nick Gage has to offer at this point other than a few minutes of GCW nostalgia and crowd involvement. I have Night 2 ordered. I think GCW is sort of losing their luster they had since they now run an insane amount of shows and disappointed at Hammerstein.

I just finished SB pt 1 and agree with your assessment. Blake Christian vs AR Fox was really good. Christian is one of my favorite guys to watch these days and Fox didn't look to have much ring rust despite not working much during covid. GCW has been one of my favorite promotions over the past few years as they've consistently delivered in the "something for everyone" category, but also think they're starting to lose steam. It's good that they're able to run 4+ times a month and have what look to be sell out crowds, but they're spreading themselves a bit thin and the shows don't have the it factor they used to. I respect Gage with the way he's turned his life around and can't help but admire the pops he gets, but he's looked increasingly rough the past few months.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sean Waltman posted on social media that he worked last night's Spring Break show with a torn bicep (which he suffered on the Feb GCW show)

He said it requires surgery but he is planning on wrestling a few more times after he recovers

During the Waltman/Janella match I was really surprised at the amount and nature of the bumps Waltman was taking, given what I've heard about his health. Hearing about this injury makes it all the more crazy.

• Like 2

I thought that was tomorrow at 1.  I just watched Zicky Dice and Matt Cardona and it was wild.  I am very excited about MAsha Slamovich wrestling a bear who turned out to be 

Spoiler

Max the Impaler.

https://www.twitch.tv/zickydice/video/1443269327

EDIT:  Man, Levi Shapiro is much larger than last time I saw him.  Oh man, Lince Dorado looked great against Black Taurus- who always looks great.  Dorado hits a fucking EVEREST German suplex on Black Taurus and I am impressed.  Effy is so the new Hollywood John Tatum.

• Like 1

I spent today watching ROH and NXT and the only other indy show I've caught up on this weekend was Planet Death. Coming from a deathmatch fan, I thought it was pretty ho-hum. Ironically enough the best match on there featured a non-deathmatch guy in Cole Radrick. On the past few GCW shows he's been doing a bit more in that genre and was up against Akira who subscribes more to the Ito deathmatch style where he can actually implement some wrestling and other spots into his matches as opposed to being a fat guy going from spot to spot.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:06 AM, EricG said:

Did you catch what that dude in the front row said that made Low Ki flip out?  That was weird.

I thought this was the worst Clusterfuck out of them all. Just a ton of dead time and nothing seemed to be talked through or set up in advance. I get that part of the mystique now that it's "supposed" to be bad, so maybe that was the route they were taking, except for the Janela/Wayne spot. Seemed to be only two entrants that we haven't seen in a GCW ring in awhile (or ever), so no great surprises, I thought.

Maybe it came across better live than it did through Fite. 

Really enjoyed the rest of the card, though. 

14 minutes ago, Log said:

Did you catch what that dude in the front row said that made Low Ki flip out?  That was weird.

I thought it was weird until I remembered how fragile-minded Low Ki is. Ki told the guy to come back and sit down just to talk more sh*t, LOL. 

According to Twitter sources(!) the dude mentioning something about Ki being blacklisted from wrestling. Don't know if that's what set off Ki in the first place or not.

• Thanks 1

Dug Bailey-Bandido and Moxley-Biff.  Is there anything on any of the Indie shows (non ROH) that's been up to that level? 

Just watched the Ki/Homicide-Briscoes Main Event.  Love to know what set Low Ki off.  I did hear the fan yell something to the effect of ' you're blacklisted' after returning to his seat.  Both Ki and Homicide came across horribly with their cornball mic work.  Homicide actually said something incredibly lame like 'I fucked your girlfriend last night', and then followed by stroking the microphone as if it were his dick.  What a fucking bonehead!  Didn't leave a great impression.

The Spring Break pt. 2 clusterfuck embraced the absurdity of professional wrestling in a way that would make Chikara proud. It's one of those things people will either find hilarious or hate. Was it good wrestling in the traditional sense? Probably not. Was it entertaining and did I find myself guffawing at multiple times? Absolutely.

As far as the undercard goes, Tony Deppen (one of the more underrated guys in the indies now, imo) and Biff Busick had a great match. Jordan Oliver and Mike Bailey showcased their skills as well and was very impressive considering Bailey wrestled like six times in two days.

• Like 1

I’m a great parent, so instead of watching Wrestlemania with my son, we watched Bloodsport from Friday. After the Biff/Mox match, he said, “that’s the best match I’ve ever seen.” My daughter walked in the room and said it was disgusting and left. Oh well, I’m batting 500. 

The whole Bloodsport show was awesome. The great thing about that style is that everything is short enough that nothing overstays it’s welcome. 

Edited by Log
Typo
  • Like 3

This weekend is my wrestlemania weekend. On Saturday night I’m bringing my son to the city for the pwr show. Dragon Lee and Laredo kid are on the poster but now on the Eventbrite site Laredo kid isn’t on the card, I bet that’s more accurate but it will be a fun show. 

Then on Sunday I’ll be back in the city sitting ringside for the first gcw show in NorCal. I’m really looking forward to Nick Wayne vs bandido and dark shiek vs Joey janela, plus Minoru slapping fools, effy getting revenge on jj, gonna be an awesome show. 

• Like 4