DVDVR Message Board

INDY WRESTLING THREAD~

RIPPA

44 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

What shows are people planning on watching (or attending, even!) next weekend? My eyes always get a bit big for my wrestling stomach around this time of year, but going to aim to see Bloodsport, at least one of the Spring Breaks, and the Mark Hitchman WrestleCon show. May have time for one or two more, my girlfriend is keen on the GCW AAA show due to her inexplicable love of Psycho Clown (well, it is explicable, his music is incredible.)

Curious what those more atuned to these shows r looking at? 

The Gringo Loco's The Wrld and Bloodsport shows look intriguing.  Interesting line-ups for Janela's shows.  As of now I'm genuinely excited for the Friday ROH Supercard show.  And will no doubt watch Rampage in it's regular Saturday morning tape delay 10:05 start time.  But love to know what the dark horse events are?

Oh shit, forgot the ROH show. Usually I wouldn't bother, but the AEW link and especially the Briscoes vs FTR probably makes that a must. The New Japan show also should be great, but not paying for it on top of my NJPW World subscription, so that one can wait a week.

23 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Curious what those more atuned to these shows r looking at? 

The Gringo Loco's The Wrld and Bloodsport shows look intriguing.  Interesting line-ups for Janela's shows.  As of now I'm genuinely excited for the Friday ROH Supercard show.  And will no doubt watch Rampage in it's regular Saturday morning tape delay 10:05 start time.  But love to know what the dark horse events are?

Hmmmm... I'm partial to four shows, besides the obvious ones from next weekend that everyone will probably check out.

• Zicky Dice's Trouble In Paradise 2 has stuff like Effy vs Mike Bailey, Lince Dorado vs Black Taurus, Scotty 2 Hotty vs Rich Swann, and... uhhh, what? Masha Slamovich versus an actual bear?!?
  • Some of the matches for Black Label Pro's NORM are Jake Something vs PCO, Shazza McKenzie vs Billie Starkz, Anthony Greene vs Alex Zayne, Effy vs Charlie Haas (?!?), Blake Christian vs. Black Taurus, Tom Lawlor/Kevin Ku/Dominic Garrini vs Davey Richards/Kevin Blackwood/Matt Makowski and... FACES OF FEAR vs JD Drake & Anthony Henry???? Actually I'm pretty sure that's 98% of the card, it's that fuckin' good.
  • and Effy's Big Gay Brunch has Max the Impaler vs Edith Surreal, Parrow vs Dark Sheik, Effy vs Pimpernela Escarlata and... Allie Katch vs TAFKA Fandango????

All three of those cards have great matches, and at least one WTF match. I'm here for it.

But Thunder Rosa's Mission Pro is part of the Collective this time around, and has a fucking BANGER of a card:

Thunder Rosa vs. Trish Adora

Jennacide & KiLynn King vs. Madi Wrenkowski & Rache Chanel

La Rosa Negra vs. Jody Threat

Allie Katch vs. JP Harlow

Lindsay Snow vs. Masha Slamovich

Tasha Steelz vs Janai Kai

Renegade Twins & Jazmin Allure vs Allysin Kay, Marti Belle & Laynie Luck

MPW Title Match: Holidead (c) vs LuFisto

I'm gonna have a lot of wrestling to catch up on that following Monday, since I work weekend nightshift. But it'll be an awesome few days.

EDIT: Oh, and Impact has a pretty great card, too. And I love the show name: Multiverse of Matches.

Impact X Division Title Ultimate X Match: Vincent vs. Chris Bey vs. Rich Swann vs. Willie Mack vs. Jordynne Grace vs. Trey Miguel (c)

Non-Title Match: The Briscoes vs. The Good Brothers

Alex Shelley vs Mike Bailey

Jay White vs. Chris Sabin

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Eddie Edwards

Moose & PCO vs. Josh Alexander & Jonah

Deonna Purrazzo’s Champ Champ Challenge

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking at possibly watching ROH, Bloodsport, Spring Break Shows, and the HItchman tribute card is pretty great looking. 

As someone else mentioned, IMPACT's card looks fun as well. 

When it goes up on IWTV, today's DMDU show had a fantastic main event of Robbie Eagles vs Kid Valiant. Eagles is usually a standard babyface high flyer/technical wrestler in New Japan, but on his most recent run of shows he's been mostly wrestling young up and comers and is the surly, cranky veteran. Valiant has just turned 19 and is getting a bit of buzz in Australia, so Eagles comes to Valiant's home fed and proceeds to kick the shit out of him. When his opponent fires back, Eagles decides that destroying Valiant's leg in the most fucked up ways he can think of is the best step to take. 

Aussie wrestling is in kind of an odd place post Covid lockdowns, a lot of new faces starting to come to the fore.

• Like 3

Wrestlecon announced a 10 Man Tag for the Supershow

Team Onita vs. Team PCO

Because they "like surprises" - they aren't announcing the teams ahead of time

• Haha 1

Really sucks that the best GCW shows of the weekend are running head to head with the best non GCW shows of the weekend in the Wrestlecon SuperShow and the ROH show.  The Briscoes vs FTR match is really a must see match almost Joe vs Kobashi level.    Even the New Japan show is mostly running head to head with the Gringo Loco lucha show.   But that is to be expected unfortunately.  

Jonathan Gresham is no longer on the SuperShow.

He is being replaced in the 6 man tag by Josh Alexander (Alexander/Ace Austin/Black Taurus vs Michael Oku/Rey Horus/Laredo Kid)

Bummed to see the World Class Pro/Reality of Wrestling WM week 4 days of joint shows all got cancelled/'postponed', 3 days out.  the first night Thursday was supposed to have RVD & Booker working a 6 man tag, Saturday was a 16 woman "Sherri Martel Classic" tournament, and then Sunday was a Texas Legends Convention (advertising Booker, JBL, Bruce Prichard and a bunch of WCCW names)

• Sad 1

Oh, RF you carny catamite, you got me again. The first Battlegrounds was a dreary ECW nostalgia paint-by-numbers, but the second one was shockingly one of the best cards I have been to in a decade, for star power, match quality and booking. But the third one - ah yes, I knew but I didn't pay attention to the Little Promoter In My Head - with a main event of Bully Ray vs. Atsushi Onita, how could it go wrong?

Shut your smark hole, I tried to stay away, but I COULD NOT!!! (weeps workshoot tears)

Anyway, back to the 2300 Arena with the usual gang of ne'er-do-wells that I call my chums. It's about 2/3 full with much fewer vendors. Mr. Liar had some nice looking T shirts but RAF does not do $30 schmattas, Asian Superstar or not, let's see how Great it is, Nita....

I feel compelled to run down the whole card because why should I be the only one to suffer? The opener was Ray Jaz (?) over Bull James (I like) and Rich Swann (always festive). Who was that kid? Short.

In the tradition of salty contrary outsider underdog smart ECW/Philly crowds capitulating and cheering the lamest gimmick workers that have been on their TVs for even a second, Eugene (yes, that one) came out to a thunderously happy reaction. He worked Dark STG (what?), a muscle boy in (admittedly sharp) corpsepaint. I think he was there at the last show. Eugene worked like late era Bugsy McGraw but no aviator helmet or Curly Shuffle. Too bad. Dark had one of my indie sources of hatred: the useless manager. This was some shlub decked out in a Hot Topic suit with a book, a rose, claw gloves, bad posture and a look of bewilderment. I started drinking and such.

Wrecking Ball Legursky in so very over with this crowd. Good for him. Alec Odin went from being managed by Raven in the featured feud to this. My gang agreed that Odin was the most popular AND worst name for a pit bull. This guy was like a 11 year old's first Make-A-Wrestler attempt on his new PlayStation game.

Tony Nese v. KC Navarro should have been better, but the blackness was creeping over my soul. It clumsily led into the next match of Brian Cage v. Buddy Matthews (whom you all know I am a mark for) but even the drunken Philly abnormals were strangely silent for this. My mood permeated the arena. There was shenanigans to set up a tag nmext time. Argh.

At intermission I noticed that two refs were selling merch. I felt further disconnection.

Traxx (the 40 year old student in swimwear from the last card) faced Onita's dojo boy, Super Leather who was neither scary nor scary's opposite (endearing?). His entrance music was "Kickstart My Heart" by MCrue. Maybe it's a Japan thing? This was painful. I self medicated.

The Beastman, a local fave and fine big man worker faced Afa, Jr. who is my age. Points off in my book for choosing thee gangster groove musical option as opposed to the tribal Polynesian drum style (or even John Carpenter). Zombie Rent Boy STG came out for a needless distraction finish. Passable.

Mariah May, in her alleged debut, went over Lady Frost (another fave of mine). MM had impressive heel charisma despite a generic rich girl snob influencer gimmick. Keep your eyes peeled for this one, fans. The ladies had a chance to steal the show but we were all doomed, doomed I tells ya.

I would be the first one in line to bag on Bully Ray but he really tried his darnedest to make this work. Thank you, sir. Onita came out as The Great Nita so I did not even get the cigarette insouciance entrance. However, BR did that, w/'Wild Thing" (inferior JJ version) as well as facepaint, so we were confused. There was plunder set up (cancelled(?) local G-Raver doing the set-up duty, FUCK YOU RF) but the PA commission sez no blood, no fighting in the crowd and no glass and such so what was the point of all this? Here was Battleground Championship Wrestling's solution - use the RED mist liberally, that'll fool/appease these goobers, right? I may be a goober but I was neither fooled nor appeased. Onita did no selling, he did not change his open-mouthed jowly facial expression, he did not back bump and, crime of crimes, he did not bother to hide his "loading up" of the RED mist, he just chucked them in there like so many shinobi gummis. Screw you too, Mr. Liar, and/or screw me as well. I know that the REAL Mist Users store it in a pouch in their throats; at least Mr. Ray did the "cocking the trachea" motion before he spewed. Super leather ran out, then the Uber skeleton of Sandman, then Sabu from the gimmick table. A message to Sabu - I appreciate the headdress, and you can wear whatever you want when selling merch, but could you be chuffed to take off the puffy sneakers, Old Navy cargo shorts and Judas Priest shirt for some ringwear - for me? Post match AO got the mic (and the "what?" treatment from the rapidly exiting crowd) and did the slaps of respect but refection of Bully Ray to call out Sabu for a match at the Tokyo Dome. Think big, my man. 

Wrestling is like pizza; I enjoy it even when it is bad, especially when I am with my pals. This was rough, however. See what I do for y'all?

"Dream baby dream
Oh baby, you gotta keep those dreams burnin'
Keep them dream burnin' forever.
Dream baby dream,
Dream baby dream,
Dream baby dream,
Dream baby dream,
Dream baby, dream baby,
Dream baby, dream baby,
Dream baby, dream baby dream."

Suicide, "Dream Baby Dream" by Alan Vega RIP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I've only seen Sawyer Wreck wrestle once and I've never seen the Ovary Actors- but I am obsessed with KiLynn King and Sawyer Wreck being a female Blackjacks.

FPHQsDJXwAcULv7?format=jpg&name=large

Sweet zombie jesus.... Defy is running Moxley vs Tom Lawlor at their next show. Tickets went on sale at 1:00 PST today. By 1:01 PST they were completely gone. I was lucky to get standing room only tickets. All the seats sold out in seconds.

• Like 4

I also came here to sing the praises of Biff/Moxley. Aside from his team with Burch, Biff has always been just a guy to me and I'm not a huge Moxley fan either, but both of them really fucking brought it in this match. The rest of the card was solid to good. Zhang/Shafir, Bailey/Uemura, and Barnett/Jonah were all worth seeing.

• Like 1

I'm about to watch selected stuff from Bloodsport while I drink my morning (read: 8PM) coffee. I didn't realize some of these shows were on tonight, like Part 1 of Janela's Spring Break, or the Mark Hitchcock Memorial Show. Fuck yeah.

• Like 1

I forgot shows started today and the weekend schedule is back to its completely overwhelming self.  I'll be heavily relying on this thread throughout it so I can see what's worth checking out.  I don't want to watch even close to everything but the idea of watching more while working at home does sound pretty tempting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Forgot about Bloodsport. Need to get into that for its hybrid blend of wrestling and MMA. What matches from the recent one and previous matches I should seek out? Thanks.

I know Segunda Caida has some good reviews of all of the shows.  Honestly, the matches are pretty short in general.  They are easy shows to watch.  I'd recommend all of them. 

Lol, I know that's not much help, but really even the lesser matches are still fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Log said:

I know Segunda Caida has some good reviews of all of the shows.  Honestly, the matches are pretty short in general.  They are easy shows to watch.  I'd recommend all of them. 

Lol, I know that's not much help, but really even the lesser matches are still fun.

Cheers my friend.

• Like 1