DVDVR Message Board

INDY WRESTLING THREAD~

RIPPA

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Biff Busick has tested positive for COVID so he has had to pull out of the 16 Carat Gold Tournament

Yeah, that's a real bummer. Even with Busick the line-up was already pretty weak this year.

I'm crossing my fingers that Jonathan Gresham vs. Fuminori Abe will happen at some point during the tournament. That would make up for a lot. ?

Edited by The Z

On 3/3/2022 at 7:18 AM, The Z said:

Yeah, that's a real bummer. Even with Busick the line-up was already pretty weak this year.

They were able to get Ninja Mack as a last minute replacement for Biff. Holy Shit!

WrestleCon has announced that Tomohiro Ishii, Michael Oku, Black Taurus, and PCO will all be on the Supershow.

They join Atsushi Onita, Jonathan Gresham and The Rock 'n' Roll Express as announced talent that don't have an official match yet

On 3/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, matt925 said:

Finally details for this show. Venue holds 2500 for concerts, curious to see what the demand is. I’ll be there. 

They’re almost sold out of the first four rows offered at higher prices. No clue how many general admission tickets they sold. If it was approaching a sell out I’m sure they’d tweet about it. I got first row. 

20 hours ago, Raziel said:

*insert a fuckton of snark in Onita's direction here*

It really is poetic. Reading the Blood and Thunder book, he has been ripping off people forever and a day, so him getting ripped off on American soil before this is also pretty sweet. If I were his opponent I'd want to be paid up front just in case he found out some way to bamboozle the promoter. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

After the Dark Side of the Ring episode, and what happened at the H20 Exploding match against Tremont(his association with RF), i would honestly be okay if Onita went away and never was seen again.  Out of the pioneers of "Death matches" he's the one that I really couldn't give a shit about, despite respecting what he did in starting FMW.

• Like 1

Went to a local indie last night,  XICW in Detroit. It was ok, of the four live shows this year I've been to it was probably the weakest overall. Did some odd things. They brought everyone on the card out all at the same time to start the show, since it was their first in months. I got why but then everyone cheered for the wrestlers they were excited for then so when they came out later the crowd was more muted.

DBA vs Hoodfoot was my MOTN, fun brawl, though only a few seemed to know who Hoodfoot was. Simon Gotch got kind of a weird response in the main event, I don't think too many recognized him from NXT/WWE. A lot of the regular local talent were receiving cheers/boos, way more over. My major hang up was when they announced their return show next month. Charlie Haas was the first special name, not a single cheer/clap/acknowledgement. Then we got the other name, "NJPW star" Michael Elgin. Why? Was Virgil already double booked?!

On 3/5/2022 at 11:58 AM, Curt McGirt said:

It really is poetic. Reading the Blood and Thunder book, he has been ripping off people forever and a day, so him getting ripped off on American soil before this is also pretty sweet. If I were his opponent I'd want to be paid up front just in case he found out some way to bamboozle the promoter. 

Which book is that? Googled and couldn't find anything with that title. Sounds interesting.

• Like 1

Gotta pay attention to the book thread ? Our very own Linus wrote just under 500 pages about the beginning of independent Japanese wrestling. You can get your copy here: https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/alan-boon/blood-thunder-volume-1-the-story-of-the-i/paperback/product-nekjv7.html?fbclid=IwAR1D6t_vNDykSWl9F0s9aoYtS810v3tAQp5heDIoLSBXyudr3elbD7PjU4g&page=1&pageSize=4 Well worth the purchase, incredibly detailed work on display here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KiLynn King and Marina Tucker are entering the Fantastics/Heavenly Bodies realm of parking lot vignettes.  CCW is so awesome.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 4:25 AM, AxB said:

FNSxZjqXwAIJm4h?format=jpg&name=small

Just saw this, and Busick vs Suzuki, while desperately trying to find any information on whether the Wrestlecon shows will be streamable. They're not up on Fite yet, and the official website is full of minutiae about different tiers of photo opportunity, but nothing I can find about watching shows from my couch on the four day Mania weekend I've booked off work. They'll be on Fite, right?

• Like 1

Wrestlecon is Conrad Thompson, isn't it? Can't really see any way that guy would put a card together and not squeeze every single possible penny out of it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Just saw this, and Busick vs Suzuki, while desperately trying to find any information on whether the Wrestlecon shows will be streamable. They're not up on Fite yet, and the official website is full of minutiae about different tiers of photo opportunity, but nothing I can find about watching shows from my couch on the four day Mania weekend I've booked off work. They'll be on Fite, right?

pretty sure they have been on Highspots streaming network in the past. Usually they put the show up a day or so after it happens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

pretty sure they have been on Highspots streaming network in the past. Usually they put the show up a day or so after it happens. 

They definitely have been in the past as I remember watching some of the 2019 shows, I was just concerned as the GCW stuff is already available to order, and theirs isn't. If Timothy Thatcher and Ishii cave each others' ribs in and only Texans get to see it, did it truly even happen? A day's delay I can deal with, it'll be a perfect palate cleanser after enduring Wrestlemania itself, as long as it doesn't fall outside that weekend.