DVDVR Message Board

INDY WRESTLING THREAD~

RIPPA

13 hours ago, The Z said:

Does anyone know who said the "I've seen a million GCWs come and go and it's not going to last" quote to Brett Lauderdale? I initially thought it was someone like Jim Cornette, but of course, why would Lauderdale care about what that guy thinks. This must have been someone he used to respect a lot.

Odds are nobody did and Lauderdale is cosplaying Heyman with his "us vs them, nobody believed in us" speeches.

• Like 1

I love GCW when I occasionally check out their shows.  But even going in knowing the limitations they'd have due to NYSAC this was pretty disappointing.  Some matches went way too long (Cardona/Janela which had too much gaga) while others were too short (tag main event)  And you could see the disappointment in the faces of some like Ruby who knew her winning was a bad idea.  And Mox didn't seem too pleased either with how things went.  I sense Effy/Jarrett will go on but no there was no reason for Katch to lose.  

Thankfully I know what GCW can do and will continue to watch.  But I feel bad for first time viewers and even those in attendance who might have been disappointed.  I think it's a safe be though that the next shows will be much better.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'd love to know some highlights in the GCW catalog that you would recommend checking out?  

Here are a few of my favorite shows from the last 12 months:

• rSpring Break Presented By 44OH!, 04/09/2021 (Duh!)
  • Draft Day, 05/15/2021
  • Tournament Of Survival 666, 06/05/2021 ('m not even a big death match guy, but this is just a really good show)
  • 3 Cups Stuffed 09/03/2021
  • So Alive, 12/04/2021
3 hours ago, hammerva said:

If I had to guess it is either John Zandig or Danny Demanto the other original owner of GCW.   At that period I can see Zandig saying that at least once a week to someone

On the pre-show he said it was one of their partners who said this on their last show before the pandemic shut down everything, which would have been on March 20th 2020. So I'm thinking it could have been one of the IWTV owners or one of the promoters that they used to team up with for the Collective, which would have happened not soon after, if it wasn't for Corona.

• Like 1

Watched a YT video of what I thought was the end of the GCW main event but it turns out it was basically the whole match. Yikes!

Easiest money Nick Gage has made for a match in some years, though, if I had to guess.

• Like 1

In example number 456 of how old we are getting, the newest New South Action Clash show tonight features Jimmy Wang Yang in a tag match with his daughter as his partner.  

She is actually pretty good too given her I assume inexperience

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

One of my biggest prayers as a long time indy fan is for a Dave Prazak shoot to be released.  Nobody has worked with the "Superstars" of today and the biggest current day talent than Dave.

His speech was great.  In a world of carny sleezebag promoters I've never heard one bad thing said about Dave.   If I could talk to one person in this business for an hour and just listen to stories and pick their brain it would easily be Dave Prazak.

So fucking glad the guy was shown some appreciation. It is well deserved. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah it's better if he plays high school sports and get CTE early that way, right?

Yes that is  absolutely the point I was making, thank you for expanding it out for me.

I for sure didn't mean 'I don't get being upset that there's a set a of rules that everyone knew, that the plan to circumvent on their most hyped show ever, basically was "Shhhhhhhhh". and in the end that didn't work, so I guess we have to follow the rules'

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Bix wrote about it today but I haven't read it yet. 

TLDR: the NYSAC rule against minors appearing on wrestling shows essentially doesn't exist. 

• Like 1

This is how Meltzer wrote about the whole NY Commission thing in the WON

Spoiler

There were also issues with the New York State Athletic Commission besides having to do with what was allowed during the matches.

Nick Wayne, the 17-year-old son of the late Buddy Wayne, who has been working for the group, was not allowed by the commission to perform due to being underage. Wayne had performed on a show in Queens previously. Technically there is a loophole in the state regulations to where he probably should have been allowed, but these things need to be worked out ahead of time. The commission had fined a Rochester, NY, based promotion previously for Brodie Huber, AEW’s -1, doing a run-in on an independent show. Granted Wayne and Huber’s cases are very different due to age.

The commission has a regulation that reads: “No person under the age of eighteen years shall participate in any authorized professional combative sports, and no person under sixteen years of age shall be permitted to attend thereat as a spectator, provided, however, that a person under the age of sixteen may be permitted to attend as a spectator if accompanied by a parent or guardian.”

The loophole is that in 2018, pro wrestling, which was previously under the combat sports rules, was removed from being considered by the commission as a combative sport. So the rule should not have applied. It’s virtually a sure thing that when pro wrestling was removed, the commission did not want those under 18 performing as pro wrestlers, but things slipped through as often happens with regulatory boards who oversee pro wrestling but don’t care about it. But based on pro wrestling not being listed any longer as a combative sport and with no regulation on age specific to pro wrestling, Wayne should have been allowed to compete. But perhaps this will lead the commission to specifying what is and isn’t allowable when it comes to pro wrestling.

In addition, the commission informed the promotion to expect a fine for the drinking of alcohol in the ring in the title win celebration after the main event. There is a regulation that bans that when it comes to combative sports in New York, but by the loophole of wrestling no longer being combative sports, by technicality that should not be an offense that is punishable.

Janela wrote that he promises Wayne a match with anyone of his choosing to make up for this. Wayne then asked for a match with Will Ospreay. For his career, if he gets that match out of this, it will mean ten plus times as much as being put in a multiple-person high spot match that he would have been put in on this show, so this will end up being a net positive for him.

My god am I just in love with Dave's tenuous at times grasp of the English language.

Combat sport = sport where people fight

Combative sport = sport where, I guess, people are just really fucking belligerent and argue a lot

Also, it really sucks that Gresham if off BOLA.  I wonder who they'll get to replace him.  Is it too late to lure Phillip Five Skulls back out of retirement?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

Ironically - Gresham was supposed to face Davey Richards who is now off the show too (no reason was given for Richards)

Blake Christian and Wheeler Yuta are the replacements