DVDVR Message Board

INDY WRESTLING THREAD~

RIPPA

Further notes on Southeast First:

-- Jon Davis and Drew Adler have awesome chemistry. Davis is built like Hansen but way more sympathetic wrestling from underneathe, and Adler is just like Drew Gulak as the guy who knows the rules of wrestling better than the fans and doesn't care if they realize how on top of things he is. 

-- Adam Pearce vs Anthony Henry was some booking genius. How often do you get a great heel (Pearce) against a basically unlikeable asskicker (Henry)? Henry was ever dominant but Pearce was more than willing to trade middle fingers and remain in character. I could go on about how much I like Pearce, but basically just look at how he sells the piledriver and neckbreaker in addition to getting whooped the entire match (not to mention the exposed turnbuckle). He just really knows how to keep it real in there, as does Henry. With B-Boy making his way back, Henry should TOTALLY start calling himself the New Age Punisher and eventually beat B-Boy for the nick, because Henry's got serious Punisher vibes since he added some mass. This is must watch if you're familiar with these guys, or if you're just ready to see great heel on heel action.

-- Jade Newman & Arik Royal vs Violence Is Forever -- Add Newman to the list of guys who should be added to Danielson's unborn stable. His white-guy-with-a-chip-on-his-shoulder demeanor and jawing really come off as Brother Danielson in a way, but not uncomfortably so. Royal still looking great. I don't put pressure on anyone to learn a second language, but I do think Royal would kill in Japan, especially New Japan if he got the chance. VIF are ever the gods of indy tag wrestling and I can't wait to see Ku/Royal. So glad these guys have found a home in the southeast. They're much welcome.

-- IWTV Title match: Alex Shelley (c) vs AC Mack -- what a main event for an awesome show. These two over-delivered if you ask me and that was mainly due to a great performance from Mack, believe it or not. Not saying I haven't liked Mack before but this might be my first time seeing him on this level with a real veteran and he really showed up to play. His selling of the arm carried over even into the aftermatch, and my favorite part was when he lost his grip on the Mack 10 and let out a sincerely exasperated "oh come on!," which I'm really glad was caught perfectly on camera. I think the announcers said he went for the Mack 10 five times and never nailed it because of the damage to the arm... As far as Shelley goes, I like Shelley. Not a fan of everything he does, but he does so many things well and this really should go down in the books as one of his greatest singles matches. The crowd was on fire for this and I can't remember the last time a win/title change both surprised and pleased the way this did; the crowd went insane when Shelley actually lost to their man. Big kudos to Shelley for putting Mack over the way he did. I HOPE this doesn't mean we won't be seeing anymore Shelley in Action Wrestling, though. Would love to boo his ass here forever.

Edited by Horatio

The Indie Hall of Fame show so far has been great.    And yes Chris Hero AND CM Punk is actually in the same building.   Hero inducting Tracy Smothers and Punk inducting Dave Prazak. 

the Lufisto induction speech was one of the better ones you will hear

• Like 3

IWC just had a battle royal with surprise entrants Gangrel and Swoggle.  Colt is at the show also and rumored to be in the title match.

20 mins down the road is Enjoy wrestling with Effy, MV Young, Lee Moriarty, Veda Scott, and Player UNO.

Tomorrow we have Brian Danielson doing a signing.    Not a bad weekend for wrestling. 

• Like 3

Not a terrible night in the end but man, the lack of time restrictions on the earlier matches really hobbled the later part of the show. The main event, especially, felt like it ended so suddenly, on top of already being disappointing in that it wasn't FTR as the opponents. 

• Like 4

I highly enjoyed The WRLD tonight. Didn't care for Cardona vs Janela but I understand that is for longtime GCW fans so I accept it's not for me. Loved the Trios despite the finish, Rush vs Christian, Mox vs Homicide and the main. The love the crowd has for Gage is so cool to see. The last few matches did seem rushed especially the main but I think they got the job done. I want to see their next show.

For what was being touted as their most promoted show of all time, that was not one of GCW's better outings.

The trios match was incredible despite the ending which looked a bit flubbed. Gringo Loco is one of the more underrated guys out there. I'd been looking forward to seeing what Blake Christian could do with an expert in a different style of wrestling like Johnathan Gresham, but if that's not going to happen then seeing he and Lio Rush do what they do best was a worth substitute. Christian has gotten even better since his brief NXT stint and Rush was on his game bigtime.

The opening ladder match was not pretty at all. Janella/Cardona was the dog and pony show I was expecting but went way too long and hampered the later card because of it. There was also quite a bit of questionable booking. I get Cardona going over, but having your hometown favorites (Janella, Allie, and Effy) all lose doesn't make much sense. I get wanting to bring in a veteran people are going to universally hate for some good heat, but does anyone care about a mostly immobile Jeff Jarrett at this point? Ricky Morton can at least still work a bit.

I'm assuming they had a hard stop at 11 as Moxley/Homicide and the tag matches were really rushed. With the tag match going on last I think a lot of people were assuming it meant FTR so it was kind of a letdown. I also assume the local regulations prohibited any actual deathmatch stuff.

Say You Will from a few weeks ago was a far better show if anyone wants a good intro to GCW.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Not a terrible night in the end but man, the lack of time restrictions on the earlier matches really hobbled the later part of the show. The main event, especially, felt like it ended so suddenly, on top of already being disappointing in that it wasn't FTR as the opponents. 

Yeah, pacing was off. Made worse as this was GCW's biggest show and needing to grab new viewers. Time management is such a crucial part of wrestling: here matches going short as earlier matches went too long. No #FTR sucked.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I think the best description of it was Travis McNeil on Twitter calling it a reverse One Night Stand.  That show encapsulated every about the original ECW except the end of the show.  This didn't feel much like Gcw show at all until the main event and the celebration.  Hell the pre show felt more GCW in my opinion 

Given the rest of the booking we are kind of fortunate of Gresham not being there or you would have had 4 hometown people lose in a row

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 4

Janela losing to Cardona is fair play, since at this point Cardona is more of a GCW regular than Janela is. Effy losing is questionable, but I'd wager that's not over (or gets folded into another story with Cardona somehow, since Jarrett is loosely affiliated with the Major WF Pod). But Allie Katch losing to Ruby is weird, but she also lost to another female that's pushed on AEW TV in Thunder Rosa. She beat Mercedes Martinez, but Mercedes wasn't signed to AEW at the time. Allie (usually) beats the "name" indie talent, but loses to the ones that GCW brings in that are on TV. Which... makes sense, I guess. But it's not like Allie beating Ruby would have hurt anything, especially if Ruby doesn't come back for awhile.

• Like 3

This was my first GCW show I've ordered. I enjoyed most of it. I figured with the way they were fighting on twitter, FTR had to be the open challenge team. Only thing I thought was lame was the use of the cardboard doors through out the night. I guess the stupid NYSAC was to blame for the lack of violence. I mean not that we needed guys rolling around in broken glass, but I was expecting something with a little more oomph.

I thought the show did have an old ECW feel to it though which was nice. 

I liked Jarrett's whole Last Outlaw deal. It was amusing with a show built around "outlaws". The whole feud with Effy (who this was my first time seeing in a full match) was rushed. On commentary they were like they don't know why Jarrett is here.  

Moxley vs. Homicide was a good match. Pretty much the standard Mox match he has lately. I was rooting for Homicide, but it wasnt to be.

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

This was my first GCW show I've ordered. I enjoyed most of it. I figured with the way they were fighting on twitter, FTR had to be the open challenge team. Only thing I thought was lame was the use of the cardboard doors through out the night. I guess the stupid NYSAC was to blame for the lack of violence. I mean not that we needed guys rolling around in broken glass, but I was expecting something with a little more oomph.

Lots of indies have been using those cheap particle board doors in place of tables for the past few years. I'm assuming they're cheaper than gimmicked tables and the lack of metal table legs might be slightly safer.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Lots of indies have been using those cheap particle board doors in place of tables for the past few years. I'm assuming they're cheaper than gimmicked tables and the lack of metal table legs might be slightly safer.

Last year my local indie was trying to find wooden tables for a tables match. They are hard to find and when you do they are 30 to 40 bucks each. Much easier to find and cheaper to use a couple of hollowcore doors across two chairs. Plus the doors will normally break. Seen many a table not want to break.

• Like 1