DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/13/2022!

DEAN

I liked that Team Taz were wearing Gold and White, implying that they were going to win the belts, but instead they went to the other challenging team.

2 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Surprised that no-one has mentioned how awful JR was tonight, and I can only put that down to people just accepting it for what it is

Serena comes to the ring: Ross talks about her looks

Anna comes to the ring: Ross talks about her looks

Like with all the Vince stuff coming out, maybe JR should dial this kind of thing back like 250%.

• Like 5

The thing is, they took JR off the first hour of Dynamite, but then put him still on for the second hour (with Entrance Music!), and let him do Rampage too. So he's still getting two hours of TV every week, with a 20 minute break in between. He's not actually demoted at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Serena comes to the ring: Ross talks about her looks

Anna comes to the ring: Ross talks about her looks

Like with all the Vince stuff coming out, maybe JR should dial this kind of thing back like 250%.

I have gotten to the point where I don't even hear JR anymore.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Small detail but was this the first time that Swerve & Lee wore colour matching gear? Usually Swerve is in purple/orange and Lee has pink/blue.

Tonight they both wore red/black. 

It's a little detail but it shows that they are getting on the same page as a team ?

They wore color-matching gear at first.  Then, when they were having issues, they didn't.  Last night, they went back to matching.  Nice touch.

• Like 6

Regal, in his long talk about good pins, said that JR is helping wrestlers by telling them something to improve. He's of the mindset that it's the wrestlers' job to give the announcers positive talk about it. Obviously, that's wrong. If he wanted to help them, he'd tell them backstage. Announcers should give the fans plausible reasons for why things are happening. JR saying  that "Serena's personality, her character is inconsistent" was probably the worst thing I've heard him do in a while and then Taz covered by saying she was upset about Anna getting all the focus since it's her hometown. One is a good color analyst. One is the absolute shits.

I'm skipping the main because there's only so much time in the world and I've had enough triple threat tag matches this year, but this show was exhausting in a good way. There was a sense that things would pick up after Forbidden Door and they'd lay in new stories or work to establish some of the new status quo. We saw that over the last week or two. This one set up a couple of things for the ROH PPV but in more indirect ways in heating some people up even more without having it dominate.

Loved Cassidy vs Wardlow. The deal with Cassidy is that it's about how people react to him and then how he reacts to them. It's the most character driven stuff imaginable because it's not about "spots" or "counters" but about emotional interactions. It's more about watching Spider-Man fight the Rhino than two boxers going at it. He's going to use everything at his disposal and goad his opponent and it becomes more cinematic, something which still has narrative, that still is grounded in reality, that's still within the confines of pro wrestling logic and that uses pro wrestling moves as diction to a degree, but it's very expansive to what wrestling can be. They create towers out of these elements because Cassidy is so good at layout, because he can DO all the fundamental stuff well, and because it's all about the emotional state of his opponent and just who his opponent is as a person. Cassidy and Moxley are pretty much the two poles here. You can find out so much about who a pro wrestler is a as a character by having them wrestle either Moxley, who will punish them until they are raw and you can see under their skin and bones to their very soul, or Cassidy, who will drive them to distraction and frustration, basically doing the same thing Moxley does but to their mind. I know in the past, on the indies, there were plenty of times where it didn't work, where it left the confines, where it tore down instead of building up, but that's not at all the case in the last year of AEW. Anyone who doesn't realize that just doesn't watch the matches.

Mox vs Takeshita was much better than Kingston vs Takeshita. Things were more earned, more registered. Everything meant more. There was more of a sense of hierarchy instead of everything being equal. Mox especially used the commercial break well just to bite, rip, and tear at Takeshita which allowed for more contrast.

I thought Luchasaurus vs Griff worked. He's no longer doing stupid kicks and is instead playing to the size differential. I liked after the chokeslam he went to embrace Christian and then remembered that Christian was a dour asshole and sort of backed off. Very interested to see how they work as a team.

The Claudio vs Hager match was another TV showcase for him, which probably is unnecessary, but is still good. It was really hard hitting in the first half. They just went at it. Claudio really looks like he's living best life in how he's interacting with the crowd and just executing stuff in the moment. Finish was a little goofy but ultimately fine since it made Claudio look like a world beater. I have to admit, I was pretty burnt out from all the good wrestling by this point but I have a lot going this week.

Best part of the Anna vs Serena match was Serena leaning on her during the commercial break.

What a roster, huh? Geez.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 15

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Loved Cassidy vs Wardlow. The deal with Cassidy is that it's about how people react to him and then how he reacts to them. It's the most character driven stuff imaginable because it's not about "spots" or "counters" but about emotional interactions. It's more about watching Spider-Man fight the Rhino than two boxers going at it. He's going to use everything at his disposal and goad his opponent and it becomes more cinematic, something which still has narrative, that still is grounded in reality, that's still within the confines of pro wrestling logic and that uses pro wrestling moves as diction to a degree, but it's very expansive to what wrestling can be. They create towers out of these elements because Cassidy is so good at layout, because he can DO all the fundamental stuff well, and because it's all about the emotional state of his opponent and just who his opponent is as a person. Cassidy and Moxley are pretty much the two poles here. You can find out so much about who a pro wrestler is a as a character by having them wrestle either Moxley, who will punish them until they are raw and you can see under their skin and bones to their very soul, or Cassidy, who will drive them to distraction and frustration, basically doing the same thing Moxley does but to their mind. I know in the past, on the indies, there were plenty of times where it didn't work, where it left the confines, where it tore down instead of building up, but that's not at all the case in the last year of AEW. Anyone who doesn't realize that just doesn't watch the matches.

Just when I think that all I have to ponder today is Risk Management Framework and network accreditation, Matt provides the quality analysis of the pro wrestling.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Regal, in his long talk about good pins, said that JR is helping wrestlers by telling them something to improve. He's of the mindset that it's the wrestlers' job to give the announcers positive talk about it. Obviously, that's wrong. If he wanted to help them, he'd tell them backstage. Announcers should give the fans plausible reasons for why things are happening. JR saying  that "Serena's personality, her character is inconsistent" was probably the worst thing I've heard him do in a while and then Taz covered by saying she was upset about Anna getting all the focus since it's her hometown. One is a good color analyst. One is the absolute shits.

This is a way more subjective thing, but I also notice that I feel better about what I'm watching without JR there.  I mean, my mood improves.  He's just a downer and a distraction.

When I was still in tv, we got this new morning anchor.  Now, morning shows are more reliant on banter than a straight-up newscast.  This guy was technically good, but I heard someone call him a "banter black hole".  He would say things that just didn't invite conversation. There was no good way to answer them.  That's how I feel JR is on commentary these days.  He just makes these comments or observations and you can tell the other commentators just don't know how to respond.  It's either a plainly wrong observation or him trying to be funny at a moment that doesn't warrant it or him shitting on a wrestler they're clearly trying to get over.  He just doesn't throw out things that can be hit back. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Log said:

This is a way more subjective thing, but I also notice that I feel better about what I'm watching without JR there.  I mean, my mood improves.  He's just a downer and a distraction.

When I was still in tv, we got this new morning anchor.  Now, morning shows are more reliant on banter than a straight-up newscast.  This guy was technically good, but I heard someone call him a "banter black hole".  He would say things that just didn't invite conversation. There was no good way to answer them.  That's how I feel JR is on commentary these days.  He just makes these comments or observations and you can tell the other commentators just don't know how to respond.  It's either a plainly wrong observation or him trying to be funny at a moment that doesn't warrant it or him shitting on a wrestler they're clearly trying to get over.  He just doesn't throw out things that can be hit back. 

Let me pull this up... we shouldn't harp on it but what you said reminded me of something I wrote a few years ago about a specific match of Ross and Tony in WCW.

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-the-column-beyond-worth-every-penny/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Not finished with the show yet but I wanna ramble. 

Putting Cassidy and Wardlow, face vs. face, together was indeed a recipe for disaster but they pulled it off marvelously. It would have been a treat to be a fly on the wall in the room that the two of them put that match together. Sometimes you just get something real special and that was. 

Takeshita got his Blood Cherry POPPED! Welcome to the big leagues, kid. 

Jericho made me actively hate him, for real. I guess he and Christian are in a dead heat for biggest asshole. Meanwhile you've got 2.0 who are hilariously dressed and those egregiously French-Canadian accents make me laugh and laugh. Daniel Garcia is an incredibly testosterone-filled ego dickbag too so Jericho has made a hell of a lineup. Then you have Hager as Mongo (the Blazing Saddles one, not the WCW one) and he and Claudio have a tag teams explode hoss battle. That last lifter that Claudio threw was evil. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Let me pull this up... we shouldn't harp on it but what you said reminded me of something I wrote a few years ago about a specific match of Ross and Tony in WCW.

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-the-column-beyond-worth-every-penny/

That's a great piece.  This part is something that we've discussed to death here, I know, but it's ALWAYS bugged me about JR:

he could blather off endless sports connections and trivia which always left me feeling like what I was watching was less important. It came off as making the wrestling action in the ring look inferior, as if someone playing amateur football was more important than how many wins they had or how great their finishing move was

To Ross, "real sports" is everything, to the point where Leon White's year or two on the Rams' practice squad mean more than his world titles.  He thinks it adds legitimacy but it comes across as telling us that pro wrestling is the thing that is only done by people who couldn't cut it in real sports.   Contrast that with Jesse (to tie it back to your piece!), who would say things like "Neidhart became a wrestler because football wasn't violent enough."

• Like 9

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  The Best Friends pre-match interview is possibly the greatest WWF tiny screen promo ever.  "We're gonna cheat!  A lot! I don't care."  Wardlow and Orange Cassidy have a match sort of comparable to the Will Ospreay match except that Will Ospreay wasn't presented pre-match as a total monster so it wasn't so amazing when Cassidy got a nearfall. Wardlow is so not Goldberg as Wardlow sells the jaw well after taking an Orange Punch after OC sets it up after Wardlow discovers Danhausen under the ring.  Wardlow wrestles on offense like you combined the Steiner Brothers into one hideous Super Steiner.   The major difference between this and the Ospreay match is that you like Wardlow while a lot of the Ospreay match is everyone in Chicago getting a chance to really hate Will Ospreay because he was the asshole back in high school who gave you a wedgie and fucked the hottest girl in school.  Wardlow is the guy who played center on the football team who read Tolkien and was into metal.  Wardlow is great after beating OC with a powerbomb since he sells the Cassidy damage all the way to the back.   Jericho's promo turns from JAS to House of Black with the "Mother Barbed Wire" tangent.  Jericho has a done a great job of keeping this feud hot waaaay after it's expiration date.  Takeshita and Moxley do a New Japan match as opposed to a King's Road match- which is awesome.  I'm sure Mox was like, "Can you do Tanahashi?"  But Takeshita is better on offense than Tanahashi.  But Takeshita does the babyface comeback of Tanahashi THUS this is the better version of the main event of Forbidden Door.  Also this is the Tanahashi match if Tanahashi became AWESOME and bladed like a fucking CHAMP.  Lord Regal is the best thing about AEW Commentating (with Caprice Coleman and Tony Schiavonne a close second.)  He gets over Mox, Mox's opponent, the psychology of the match and does so with a childlike enthusiasm.  He is fucking great.  I love how Mox cuts off Takeshita as he gathers up speed to hit his Jumping Lariat.  It may be a house style thing of not hitting a move and then hitting it later, but I like to think that Mox studied Cinnabon Man and countered it.  I love that Taz and Tony explain the Rock's thing of putting his arm up to not get concussed while taking a suplex- by explaining that Jon Moxley didn't want to get concussed while taking a suplex.  So this match had the nearfall of the year AND the kick to the face of the year.  Oh man, while you rubes were watching picture in picture, one notes that Takeshita blades on the kick to the head!  That is fucking AWESOME.   Moxley hits a High Angle German Suplex and I get the feeling that Takeshita would have thought that  it would have been a sign of weakness to protect his brain while taking a throw directly on his head or some other Japanese wrestling shit.  Takeshita does such a great slow build comeback with elbows to set up his Jumping Lariat.  His comeback is so Steamboat-like in that he uses 100 per cent of his facial expressions to convey his inner struggle ALL THROUGH A CRIMSON MASK.  So fucking great.  THAT's a good use of blood- more sympathy on your babyface to make his comeback seem like that much more of a struggle.  I notice they tease the Everest German Suplex that Takeshita turns into a Brainbuster after Mox counters it.  This is such a Japanese match where there is no real face/heel structure on the surface, but Takeshita wrestles like such a babyface that the crowd gets behind him so totally.  It's strange that that is how an Southern crowd reacts to this match.   I guess we just like to see a good fight.  Takeshita is so great looking so desperate after hitting the Tope Con Hilo.  The crowd is fucking MOLTEN for his Love Machine Splash.  Takeshita gathers himself after not putting him away and sets up his Blue Thunder Bomb to get the match back to equal. The Everest German Suplex is something straight out of the finish of a Misawa/Kawada match.  So fucking MOLTEN.  I like how Moxley is your established Stan Hansen and Takeshita got to play off the wall of Moxley offense.  I love that match.  Christian Cage having to follow that was pretty comical.  He had to notice  and said, "I'll just say some quasi-inflammatory shit about Brian Pillman, we'll put them through a table and I'll head over to catering.  The INTERNATIONAL FEED is very laggy.   I will have FRIDAY REFLECTIONS about the rest of the show.

• Like 7

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
54 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There are times when announcers can get away with being critical, but it actually needs to make sense within the guideline of the match and within a character. If it's feedback on how to improve one's work or gimmick, saying it on the show is inexcusable, because as you said that should be delivered personally. There's a major difference between:

- "Wrestler X didn't catch all of that superkick, they might not be able to get the win from it!" and

- "Wrestler X barely caught that superkick, they really need to work on their execution!"

The former is contextualizing the move not connecting within the confines of the match, the latter is saying "hey, snug that up some, it was obvious you didn't hit it" and should be delivered privately.

And when one says "well, what's the difference?", the difference is that an announcer's job is to take things like a blown spot and cover for them. Nobody performs in any sport with 100% accuracy, so if a wrestler blows a spot and the announcer mocks it or laughs at it instead of trying to cover, well, what's the point? (Obviously there will be spots blown so bad you just can't cover, and with that you just have to move on.)

Some announcers decide that they'd rather point out flaws to make themselves look like the smartest person in the room rather than help cover for the overall presentation. Those announcers don't typically work long. Jim Ross has been one of those announcers for a long time now, and the whole reason he gets away with it is because he is Jim Ross.

50 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That's interesting as I would have thought that it was a more recent development with Ross.

When Chuck busted out the chainsaw I was hoping that was the start of a transition from Best Friends to DIRL. Wardlow vs. OC ruled!

I saw a meme recently of Edge with Judgment Day and this whole wall of text underneath it, and a picture of Christian with "Lol your dad died" underneath. Christian doing more with less and gets to hang out with a dinosaur now. He's definitely getting the better these days.

What even is a Painmaker? - Okada

Still, Jericho/Gage was really damn good and Kingston's been untouchable these days. Reaaallly high hopes for next week. Glad Parker's switchblade combo made another appearance.

Glad House of Black has some better stuff brewing these days. Vs. Darby and vs. Miro should both rule. Wondering if we'll get a Silver/Reynolds/Hangman vs. Black/Brody/Murph when Murph's healthy again.

Takeshita rules. Mox has been on fire recently too. Mox vs. Punk is gonna rule.

When the triple threat started I was starting to check out. I was thinking the Bucks were going to hold them at least until All Out for a third match with FTR and was thinking with that it's hard to get invested in any other tag team but Lee and Swerve was a legit surprise. Feels like that's gonna give a lot of other teams some shine now too with fresh matchups. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

Glad House of Black has some better stuff brewing these days. Vs. Darby and vs. Miro should both rule. Wondering if we'll get a Silver/Reynolds/Hangman vs. Black/Brody/Murph when Murph's healthy again.

I'm thinking Buddy Murphy is healthy.  He's been wrestling in Australia all week.

• Like 2

What an awesome night of wrestling, everything delivered. Quick thoughts:

- LMAO at Chuck Taylor trying to cheat with a fucking chainsaw.

- Takeshita is in such a roll right now, one of my favourite Moxley matches lately. He reminds me a lot of Kota Ibushi in that he has great size and strenght but is also incredibly athletic, can do it all basically. The sky's the limit for this guy.

- Main event had a really nice pace and they really went all out for the last few minutes, they had me on the edge of my seat after The Buck didn't win with the Double knees since you could feel the titles could really change hands after that. Everyone looked like absolute stars in this match.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

I have gotten to the point where I don't even hear JR anymore.

So envious. I'm non-resistant with JR and try for laughs. I do so alongside the hope that somebody is out there compiling all his tremendous work. Does anybody know of a tweeter account doing this? I need to do myself the favour of seeking out the Japanese commentary version of Dynamite.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tbarrie said:

But he has a new hat!

This is the worst hat I've ever seen! Bet you get a free bowl of soup with a hat like that!

Oh! Looks good on you though!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Does anyone have a more punchable face in wrestling than Daddy Magic? I mean that in the best possible way. I mean it’s Disco Inferno level.

I had to Google “Daddy Magic AEW” to figure out who he was.  Does this mean I am too far inside the wrestling bubble or not far enough?

i haven’t enjoyed JR’s commentary since the early days of Ross/Lawler or maybe a little before that, but I feel kind of bad for him now that AEW fans think it’s ok to pile on him.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti