DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/13/2022!

DEAN

10 hours ago, Gordlow said:

And don't forget! Pac vs Shooter and Thunder vs Miyu Yamashita on Dark! Can't miss, must-watch Dark! Let's  hope it's the start of a trend.

I’m totally watching Dark tonight then. I wanted to see the Rosa/Yamashita match and it’s pretty cool that they’re airing that on Dark. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Non-title matches can be overused, but I do like the nice, simple storytelling here. The champ wants to wrestle this kid, but the kid clearly hasn't earned a title shot yet, so he gets a non-title match. Sensible.

On the other hand: "Eliminator" as a name for a single-elim tournament is fine, if a bit on the nose. As a name for a single match where the winner gets a title shot, it's kind of goofy. As a name for a single match where one competitor is already the champ and the other gets a title shot if they win, it's pretty damn stupid.

It's a title Eliminator, because if Takeshita loses, he's eliminated from title contention.

Besides which, Moxley is the Interim Champion. He's waiting for CM Punk to recover from injury, so the belts can do unified. If he loses the Interim title, he's eliminated from the unification match.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's a title Eliminator, because if Takeshita loses, he's eliminated from title contention.

But he kind of isn't? There's no stipulation that if Takeshita loses he can't challenge again for X days or anything like that. Presumably he drops in the rankings if he loses, which puts him farther from a title match, but that's true of every match, isn't it?

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

Besides which, Moxley is the Interim Champion. He's waiting for CM Punk to recover from injury, so the belts can do unified. If he loses the Interim title, he's eliminated from the unification match.

That would make the title match the eliminator from Moxley's perspective, not this match. And they use the same terminology for matches with non-interim champions.

I imagine in this situation a championship eliminator is if you beat the champ, you get a massive boost to the rankings and is likely enough to put you in the top 5 rankings, keeping you in title contention, which also counts for the TNT title.

• Like 1

Re: 'Championship Eliminator'
I'd like to see a defined amount of time for no further title shots placed on the loser. 

No surprise, another fantastic Wednesday night card.

EDIT: Not a silly Cody clause on the defined time, just a simple 30-90 days. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

FXihbIjWYAAIeiH?format=jpg&name=small

Graphics for tonight.

Just a ridiculous abundance of riches between this, week 2 and the ROH ppv. Actually too much good wrestling, I barely have time for it all. Not complaining though!

• Like 6

On 7/12/2022 at 8:25 AM, porksweats said:

I imagine in this situation a championship eliminator is if you beat the champ, you get a massive boost to the rankings and is likely enough to put you in the top 5 rankings, keeping you in title contention, which also counts for the TNT title.

Yeah, this. Usually title eliminators in AEW go exactly the way you expect, but with Rosa/Miyu the champion actually lost, and as a result Miyu got boosted all the way up to #1. To me, that makes sense, because she pinned the World champion. You should shoot to the front of the line if you do that, no matter if you're 0-50 or whatever. Pinning the World champion should automatically get you a title shot.

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:

It's insane how most of these giant corporations employ pro wrestling fans to be their social media managers or whatever. Pretty much all of the fast food chains in the US have tweeted out wrestling related things in the last 5 years.

• Like 5

Man, I wish they held off on Wardlaw and OC for a little bit. Wardlaw needs a little more build-up as the unbearable force who now has to face wrestling’s version of a knuckleball pitcher in the cagey and wily OC.  

I am pumped for that match though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Yeah, this. Usually title eliminators in AEW go exactly the way you expect, but with Rosa/Miyu the champion actually lost, and as a result Miyu got boosted all the way up to #1. To me, that makes sense, because she pinned the World champion. You should shoot to the front of the line if you do that, no matter if you're 0-50 or whatever. Pinning the World champion should automatically get you a title shot.

It's insane how most of these giant corporations employ pro wrestling fans to be their social media managers or whatever. Pretty much all of the fast food chains in the US have tweeted out wrestling related things in the last 5 years.

So- Justice for Baron Black?

• Like 1

Takeshita RULES. He got that crowd 100% out of their minds with him against JON MOXLEY by the end of that match. Best natural babyface fire to come around in a hot minute. What a talent.

Absolutely love Daniel Garcia’s all-natural MMA gym douchebag charisma. Faaaaantastic, sneaky good weekly highlight for AEW.

Main event KICKED ASS holy shit!!! 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

5 STARS....  Don't really rate much but 5 STARS!!   Congrats to Lee and Swerve.   Holy hell...  That was awesome.  Hobbs was awesome.  Absolute was awesome.  Jesus. What a match. 

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

I was all ready to complain how the Bucks' title reign already felt stale even though it had only been a few weeks, and then they go and take the titles off the Bucks! Well played, AEW.

The Young Bucks now have the shortest AEW World Tag Team Championship reign in history and the longest.

• Like 5