DVDVR Message Board

Good deals on GOG and Steam

Cliff Hanger

Just to get this rolling again:

To celebrate the first time ever that all nine Wing Commander games are available at once, GOG has them half off if you buy the full set (or complete your collection, if you've bought at least one.). $24 for all five main line games, both Privateers, Armada and Academy. Those last two are a total waste at six bucks (and even more so at original MSRP) but thrown in for free they'll do. (I paid $12 to get Prophecy, Priv2, and the two throwaways; already had 1-4 and Priv1)

• 2 weeks later...

GOG.com

Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics are FREE right fucking now today.

You have one day and 18 hours to get in on that. Site is struggling a bit at the moment so you might have to take a couple runs at claiming them (or at least I did), but here you go:

http://www.gog.com/promo/fallout_series_giveaway_winter_promo_2013

I had to try and login like 5 times but eventually got there. Haven't tried downloading any of them but since they're all in my library now they are there permanently.

GOG just tweeted out essentially that they are aware people are having problems and more server power is on the way or something to that effect.

What's GOG? Is it a program like Steam? Or a play through browser thing? I don't have any interest in those games, but I have an interest in their prices. I am trying to get around the website but its quite slow to a standstill as you guys pointed out.

GOG is essentially just a store for (almost exclusively) old PC games. Unlike Steam, there's no piece of software that all your games run through, it's DRM-free. You just pay them, you get links on your library page, you download that game's .exe installer, and it's on your system for life. Like the old days.

• Like 4

GOG is essentially just a store for (almost exclusively) old PC games. Unlike Steam, there's no piece of software that all your games run through, it's DRM-free. You just pay them, you get links on your library page, you download that game's .exe installer, and it's on your system for life. Like the old days.

Also, what makes GOG so great is they do all the work in making the older games Windows Vista/7/8 compliant. No more trying to root around for fan-made patches online.

• Like 2

For sure on the patches and compatibility.

I keep hoping they can strike a deal to get the Age of Empires and Age of Mythology games at some point. I have AoE II on disk and it does work, with a graphics glitch in Win 7 (I get purple water and sometimes red trees, so it's like Age of Empires 1960's Star Trek Edition). I haven't had a working disk of AoM in years, but would buy it for sure if they added it. That was one of my favourite PC games ever.

Thank you, Gog.com, for making sure I never get up from my computer ever again. They had a bundle of all their D&D stuff, so I now own Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, Neverwinter Nights I & II, Temple of Elemental Evil, Planescape: Torment, and one other I'm forgetting at the moment.

• Like 2

Also, what makes GOG so great is they do all the work in making the older games Windows Vista/7/8 compliant. No more trying to root around for fan-made patches online.

I think it's worth mentioning that when games like System Shock 2 show up on Steam, it's because Gog did all the work to make them compatible.  (that's why they're usually on Gog for a month or two--years in some cases--before they launch on Steam.)  

• Like 1