DVDVR Message Board

Good deals on GOG and Steam

Cliff Hanger

Civ Beyond Earth doesn't really look like much fun. And this comes from somebody who played awful Star Trek mods of Civ V (I think, may have been IV).

We're in a golden age of 4X games, but Firaxis has been left behind in a big way.  

The best one on the market now is Age of Wonders III.  Get that and the expansions if you read this in time.

Firaxis still hasn't surpassed Civ IV.

Although I loved and still will play the odd game of Civ V, I'm with you. I friggin' love the Civilization series and even then couldn't get into the little bit of Beyond Earth I played. It felt lifeless, recycled, and came off like a cheap cash grab.

Age of Wonders III doesn't look like something I'd enjoy. I almost always go defensive in my Civ games, trying to win via culture victory or space race. I'm a pacifist at heart. I'll say this though, Firaxis could learn a thing or two from that game's combat system. The combat system in Civ games is pretty archaic.

Although I loved and still will play the odd game of Civ V, I'm with you. I friggin' love the Civilization series and even then couldn't get into the little bit of Beyond Earth I played. It felt lifeless, recycled, and came off like a cheap cash grab.

Age of Wonders III doesn't look like something I'd enjoy. I almost always go defensive in my Civ games, trying to win via culture victory or space race. I'm a pacifist at heart. I'll say this though, Firaxis could learn a thing or two from that game's combat system. The combat system in Civ games is pretty archaic.

Civ V with all the DLC is great, but I'm with you about the combat system, it is kind of like Metal Gear Solid, where I feel like a failure if I get into a fight.  Beyond Earth doesn't work as a Civilization game, because none of the characters mean anything.  The best part about Civilization is that you kind of understand how the other characters behave, and you can politic with some level of knowledge.  I'd be much more willing to play Civilization V in space than that bullshit...but apparently the DLC is coming and improves things by leaps and bounds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Humble Bundle site is doing an End of Summer sale. They're giving away a free copy of Stealth Inc 2 as well. Looks like you have until 8/31 to grab it, so get while the getting is good. Haven't even taken the time to look at the sale prices too much yet, but it seems comparable to a Steam Sale...

Civ V with all the DLC is great, but I'm with you about the combat system, it is kind of like Metal Gear Solid, where I feel like a failure if I get into a fight.  Beyond Earth doesn't work as a Civilization game, because none of the characters mean anything.  The best part about Civilization is that you kind of understand how the other characters behave, and you can politic with some level of knowledge.  I'd be much more willing to play Civilization V in space than that bullshit...but apparently the DLC is coming and improves things by leaps and bounds.

They said that about Civ V, it didn't fix the core problem- which was the AI didn't know how to play the game at all, and relied heavily on massive resource bonuses and unfun mechanics to make up for it.  (Then again, most folks play on normal so that might only matter to a small few)

TBS AI is very hard to do in general- even Stardock struggles with it, and they have a lot of skill with AI.   That said, Sorcerer King is a title no one is buying that is worth buying.   Really good and fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So the winter sale hit. Looks like I might be getting a few Steam gift cards for Christmas. The games I am looking/thinking of buying this week are:

Banished

Pillars of Eternity

Victor Vran

Mount & Blade Warband

One of the Shadowrun games

What games has everyone bought so far or are looking to get?

So the winter sale hit. Looks like I might be getting a few Steam gift cards for Christmas. The games I am looking/thinking of buying this week are:

Banished

Pillars of Eternity

Victor Vran

Mount & Blade Warband

One of the Shadowrun games

What games has everyone bought so far or are looking to get?

I own Pillars and just grabbed Shadowrun: Daggerfall. I'm having trouble getting into Pillars, but that's me never getting into the Baldur's Gate need to micro-manage your party members.

• Like 1

you guys should look into Endless Legend if Civ 5 isn't hitting the nervous system anymore

I'd suggest Sorcerer King personally.

as for the games mentioned above- heard the most good about Pillars and Vran.  Mount and Blade 2 hits next year I think.

Also Civ VI is supposedly next year- I suspect it will continue the even civs taking the concept of the odd civs and making the game good that the series traditionally has.