DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2022 - THREAD 2

Alberto Del Rio was on a house show in April 2016 I attended teaming up with Kevin Owens losing to AJ Styles and Sami Zayn. Nobody gave a shit about ADR unlike Kevin Owens, AJ Styles and Sami Zayn. Styles first European Tour with WWE. My first time seeing him and Zayn live.

So is aew blocked from booking scotiabank arena? Coca Cola coliseum has a max capacity of 7300 for an end stage setup. That’s not going to cut it at all they are going to leave so much money and spectacle on the table. 

I think they are grossly underestimating Toronto wrestling fans. Maybe next time they do the Leafs' arena.

I am glad they're not coming to Seattle or Vancouver yet because I wouldn't go. I have, i think, so far avoided covid and won't be going to sporting events/concerts for a while yet I imagine. Not to mention monkey pox. Life is hard as it is. 

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I think they are grossly underestimating Toronto wrestling fans. Maybe next time they do the Leafs' arena.

I am glad they're not coming to Seattle or Vancouver yet because I wouldn't go. I have, i think, so far avoided covid and won't be going to sporting events/concerts for a while yet I imagine. Not to mention monkey pox. Life is hard as it is. 

It’s going to sell out instantly and the after market price will be so high that even fans will be encouraged to flip their tickets. This will probably be another show where scalpers make more profit than aew. Surely they are aware of this. 

If they did do a ppv at rodgers centre, I would seriously think of traveling even though I’m so far away. I think I could sell my wife on a nice vacation to Toronto with one little wrestling show thrown in. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, matt925 said:

So is aew blocked from booking scotiabank arena? Coca Cola coliseum has a max capacity of 7300 for an end stage setup. That’s not going to cut it at all they are going to leave so much money and spectacle on the table. 

Michael Buble is there on the 12th - Leafs home opener is on the 13th. WWE Roadblock did 9,000 there in 2016 with a small stage. 

Edited by ChesterCopperpot
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, matt925 said:

If they did do a ppv at rodgers centre, I would seriously think of traveling even though I’m so far away. I think I could sell my wife on a nice vacation to Toronto with one little wrestling show thrown in. 

I live in Vancouver and my friend, who is a diehard Leafs fan, said he's giving serious thought to going to Toronto for the Dynamite and maybe see an early season Leafs game. This is going to be a big deal for AEW and I don't think they understand it, despite the talk of them being big into viewership metrics-based scheduling early on in their existence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

I think occam's razor suggest that's the case. Also note they have back to back dates in the building for Dynamite and Rampage.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Seeing Nick Gage in a death match on national and international live TV was something else. That ad placement also!

I sent that dominos clip to friends and coworkers and everyone got a kick out of it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, matt925 said:

f they did do a ppv at rodgers centre, I would seriously think of traveling even though I’m so far away. I think I could sell my wife on a nice vacation to Toronto with one little wrestling show thrown in. 

I kind of understand the mindset of not wanting to touch it unless they're going to come close to the attendance of WM or that one big '99 Raw. If for some reason the show were poorly attended, I think the optics would be potentially kind of damaging.

Based on some preliminary googling, I confidently believe that if they did somehow gain access to run Scotiabank Arena, they could at least match WWE's highest recent attendance there (13,500) if not the one Nitro's (16,195)

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

It' been a few days since I bought an AEW PPV and pre-ordering All Out'22 is kinda pointless, if it's even possible yet. Full Gear'21 was one of those super stacked ones, right? I have everything that comes after that and the 2 PPV's before it, so it's pretty obvious choice, right?

It may sound cruel, but I don't feel like spending actual money on the no-crowd, during pandemic PPV's, unless they are something exceptional. Were any of them that?

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

The gluttony tour continues, @DEAN. Konosuke Takeshita when he returns to Japan will go into hibernation with the food he's consumed.

Maybe he goes into a cocoon and whatever comes out of it is some kind of fucking super-beast that will dominate wrestling on all continents (that have decent fast food and baked goods)?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

It' been a few days since I bought an AEW PPV and pre-ordering All Out'22 is kinda pointless, if it's even possible yet. Full Gear'21 was one of those super stacked ones, right? I have everything that comes after that and the 2 PPV's before it, so it's pretty obvious choice, right?

It may sound cruel, but I don't feel like spending actual money on the no-crowd, during pandemic PPV's, unless they are something exceptional. Were any of them that?

Don't think so, no. They pretty much all had some good matches (really liked Mox vs MJF and the first Stadium Stampede, off the top of my head), but I think their thing of having a stacked card where nearly every match delivers corresponds quite neatly with crowds being back.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Don't think so, no. They pretty much all had some good matches (really liked Mox vs MJF and the first Stadium Stampede, off the top of my head), but I think their thing of having a stacked card where nearly every match delivers corresponds quite neatly with crowds being back.

Thanks. And actually, I meant Full Gear'20 (and I just bought it). Full Gear'21 was the first AEW PPV I bought, but the '20 version seems super stacked, crowd or no crowd. And it WAS possible to already pre-order All Out'22, but I hope the "Get 4 Fite credits back" offer stands for awhile longer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

AEW Full Gear 2020 was. It's a contender for Best AEW PPV ever thanks to #FTR vs. Young Bucks 1, Kenny Omega vs. Adam Page and Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston (a match that needs mentioning more). Other contenders: AEW Revolution 2020, AEW Double or Nothing 2021, AEW All Out 2021, AEW Revolution 2022 and AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door. Avoid AEW All Out 2020. Worst by far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1